BMW Mini or Something Else?

Hope this thread is in a suitable place.

I drive a 120 mile round trip commute, 5 days a week, approx 35 weeks a year. So Approx 20k miles a year

I drive up the A61 to Jct 36, then M1/A1 all the way just about.

My OH wants me to think about getting a mini for comfort and fuel economy AND for reliability and a car that will last.

Currently drive a 1.3 diesel corsa but at 91k on the clock I need to trade it in. Repairs are coming frequently due to the amount of mileage I do. Its time to retire it to 'little run around' duties.

Anyone got experience with Minis? Can anyone suggest anything other than a mini? I know the newer diesel fiestas do about 70mpg extra urban but I'm not sure if I should just be going on that. I don't want another corsa as I've had 2 (and a nova) and they have a handbrake issue that I've had enough of. I need something that is cheap to run but reliable and more comfortable as I spend a long time in it. I can't afford new off the forecourt either!

Thanks in advance for any contribution.

Something else. Something bigger, focus/golf sized would be a start - alot of the diesels are mega economical.

I had a BMW Mini Cooper and did pretty much exactly the same route 5 times a week too. Daily commute was close to 90 miles. I saw a thread here the other day saying about reliability issues with Minis but I never had a single problem.

Car was really comfortable, MPG wasn't too bad for a petrol car and other than services it was never in garage.

I absolutely hated the journey though. That was one of contributing factors to me moving out of UK.

Can you expand a bit Tinfoil? Why something bigger? Surely bigger means heavier means higher fuel consumption?

My sister got her Mini after working out quite how much she could save by making fuel efficiency choices. She's got a turbo diesel one (can't tell you any other engine specs) which at the time was very high on the list of fuel efficient cars.

Before she changed jobs she was doing a little over 50,000 miles a year and her Mini coped with that really rather well, and the only other car that she had which didn't give her regular problems with that sort of mileage was a Toyota Carina E, many years ago.

She loves her Mini and even manages really well with it in the snow, which is a good thing bearing in mind she lives high up in the Pennines on moorland.

The one thing that she's not too keen about is the fact that there's no spare tyre so it has run flat tyres, which are more expensive than the average to replace. Then again, my Touran has no spare tyre either and just has a tyre weld kit (thankfully I've never had to use it yet!) so that may be the way of the future.

Can you expand a bit Tinfoil? Why something bigger? Surely bigger means heavier means higher fuel consumption?

Far from it. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/picturegalleries/9282997/The-10-most-economical-cars-on-sale.html?image=9 from today's paper as luck would have it. These are all new, but I saw an advert for a mondeo saying how it would go round Europe on a tank of fuel. BMW 320d will do 60odd on a good run, sensibly driven.

On the sort of commute you are talking about I'd be looking at maybe a skoda octavia diesel, cheap, reliable, economical. I'm sure it would offer more comfort than a mini.

Thanks Tinfoil! I'll check it out.

Whats your budget?

MINIs hold their price very well so you will be paying more than for the equivalent Fiesta.

If you are happy doing that kind of mileage in a small car then a Fiesta should be near to the top of your list. Fuel wise they will be similar to the MINI.

Also consider the Polo.

How about Japanese? Can't go wrong with a Micra or Yaris.

Or for value for money there's Kia or Hyundai.

Budget was 6k but I don't think I'll get a diesel mini for that - they didn't make one at first did they?

I have thought about kia Rio for the 7 year warranty. My OH seems to think the mini will be that little bit more luxurious and better quality due to its BMW status but I still think you're paying for a fashion label.

Have a look at a Skoda Fabia 1.6 diesel.

I'm going to have to admit that looks will play a factor. Anything that looks like a box i.e a larger version of postman pats van, is out. I do like the Fiat Bravo - didn't expect to everything about it seems perfect, comfort, interior, shape only the MPG on the ones I can afford isn't great.

I'll keep looking :-(

I'm going to have to admit that looks will play a factor. Anything that looks like a box i.e a larger version of postman pats van, is out. I do like the Fiat Bravo - didn't expect to everything about it seems perfect, comfort, interior, shape only the MPG on the ones I can afford isn't great.

I'll keep looking :-(

Theres nowt wrong with that.:)