Best route to cycle from Rotherham to Sheffield

It can also be very dark early in the morning and in the evening at this time of year.

i forsee the purchase of ..... lights!

The canal is beautiful (I ran along there this morning), but the surface isn't great for cycling in some areas - some bits are perfect for biking but in others its narrower/ muddy/ no room to get past dog walkers/ having to cross bridges etc - I'd definitely give it a shot though and see what you think.

Sheffield Canal

The trouble is that you need to get past the M1 somehow, and the canal is the best way to avoid the roundabouts etc.

i forsee the purchase of ..... lights!

Do you think cycle lights would inadequately illuminate a dark towpath.? The ones I've seen tend to highlight your presence to other rosd users rather than light the way ahead.

I often cycle to Rotherham and back via the Canal. It takes no time and is a really nice ride. Probably best if you do a trial run first. Start at Victoria Quays, stay on the right side of the canal heading out. You come out in Tesco's carpark in Rotherham, and you have to remember to cross the canal once via a bridge near arena.

My lights are very basic and I've been fine whenever it's been dark. If you're going to be doing the trip every day though, maybe upgrade to something decent.

As Isabelle mentioned, google maps is great for planning bike rides, you can even save them, print etc.

The canal is beautiful (I ran along there this morning), but the surface isn't great for cycling in some areas - some bits are perfect for biking but in others its narrower/ muddy/ no room to get past dog walkers/ having to cross bridges etc - I'd definitely give it a shot though and see what you think.

Sheffield Canal

The trouble is that you need to get past the M1 somehow, and the canal is the best way to avoid the roundabouts etc.

I always thought the canal managed to 'get past the M1' quite well

Do you think cycle lights would inadequately illuminate a dark towpath.? The ones I've seen tend to highlight your presence to other rosd users rather than light the way ahead.

Yeah, some are designed to see, and others are designed to 'be seen'. Choose one that throws out a decent beam.

Yeah, some are designed to see, and others are designed to 'be seen'. Choose one that throws out a decent beam.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I'm considering cycling to work now and then, but it will be on highway only.

i agree with the canal route

safe as well from traffic

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I'm considering cycling to work now and then, but it will be on highway only.

Go to J.E James and see the ones they sell for £90

Then look on eBay for "cree cycle light", find ones that look like the ones in James' and buy for about £20. You might have to wait a ferw weeks for China delivery but I have both the £90 and the £20 ones and there is nothing between them apart from the pouch that holds the battery pack

And I drop my battery pack in an (empty!) water bottle in the bottle cage

Edited by Squiggs

I've got one of these: http://www.candb-seen.co.uk/bikehead-lights/cabs-02-series---cree-xml.html

Utterly fantastic for lighting your way, and motorists actually pay some attention to your presence! According to the friend who recommended it, they're nearly as good as his £400 quid jobby :)

The company imports them from China, so all the customs is sorted out for you...