Best route to cycle from Rotherham to Sheffield

I'm thinking of cycling to work from Rotherham town centre to Sheffield city centre.

Having been driving to Sheffield city centre, I've established quite a few routes which vehicles take.. Which way do you think is the best for cyclists taking into account factors including safety and distance?

I'm thinking of cycling to work from Rotherham town centre to Sheffield city centre.

Having been driving to Sheffield city centre, I've established quite a few routes which vehicles take.. Which way do you think is the best for cyclists taking into account factors including safety and distance?

alongside the canal i'd say

Google maps now has a cycling option which shows routes like the Trans Pennine Trail. I used it recently to work out how to get from Fox Hill to Concord Sports Centre.

Sheffield Council does a map of cycle routes which covers quite a bit of Rotherham. The map's a bit useless and difficult to follow but it gives you an idea! You can pick one up at some of the cycle shops - I got mine at Langsett Cycles.

There's a cycle lane all along the Europa link from Meadowhall which I've used to get to Brinsworth, but that's probably a bit out of your way.

Sheffield Council does a map of cycle routes which covers quite a bit of Rotherham. The map's a bit useless and difficult to follow but it gives you an idea! You can pick one up at some of the cycle shops - I got mine at Langsett Cycles.

There's a cycle lane all along the Europa link from Meadowhall which I've used to get to Brinsworth, but that's probably a bit out of your way.

The maps are also available for download from the Sheffield.gov website

From Rotherham town centre, i'd go along Sheffield Rd (passed Magna) to Tinsley. You can avoid negotiating the roundabout by using the northern subway at the end of the old bit of Sheffield Rd. Then along Attercliffe Rd/Common into Sheffield centre, either via Effingham St or via Savile St and Wicker.

The canal is by far the fastest and traffic free method also its flat 95% of the time.

Id just be wary of the puddles and mud, outer clothes getting splattered ect.

The canal is by far the fastest and traffic free method also its flat 95% of the time.

Id just be wary of the puddles and mud, outer clothes getting splattered ect.

It can also be very dark early in the morning and in the evening at this time of year.

done it a few times but not much fun whichever route I used with poor quaility roads/traffic and depressing views!

The canal towpath from Rotherham to Tinsley will be resurfaced late spring,(with tarmac) so that'll probably be a little more pleasant than the current towpath/mud festival and/or busy Sheffield Road.

The bits of the Five Weirs Walk that haven't been tarmaced will be done in the next 2 years