Dodgy bus driving

you do that?

seriously?

your admitting to committing a traffic offence right there - seriously?

did you show that part of the video to the police?

do you get abuse everytime you venture out?

flashing LED`s yes

high capacity "lensor" style lights that have a warning not to be looked directly at, aimed at eye height - no.

I`ve taken to putting full beam on to try and counter the dazzle, oddly the cyclists don`t seem to like that, one day the message might get across that the lights are counter productive.

I think you're referring to off road night lights used by mountain bikers. When I'm on road I tilt mine downward. Many drivers don't afford me the same courtesy.

---------- Post added 24-02-2013 at 16:44 ----------

you do that?

seriously?

did you show that part of the video to the police?

do you get abuse everytime you venture out?

flashing LED`s yes

high capacity "lensor" style lights that have a warning not to be looked directly at, aimed at eye height - no.

I`ve taken to putting full beam on to try and counter the dazzle, oddly the cyclists don`t seem to like that, one day the message might get across that the lights are counter productive.

@ Matt - I commented on your youtube..whining ;)

Yes - I think so - you cannot expect that the traffic will play nicely and by the rules. Regardless of you having a camera or not you will find that unless you are also able to play by their rules you will never be able to hold your own.

Riding in town and in traffic is not so easy. The car driving types who are righteous about the law do not get it. You have to be sure that the traffic knows your intention. Not that you think they should know what you are going to do. Owning your space is all fair and well but if the other person is does not believe your intentions then you will get clear conflicts and as a cyclist..you lose most of them.

In another 6 months of riding you'll probably be fitter and smarter and with that bus you would have been able to put a spurt on, pass it cleanly and with some solid eye contact on the driver to be sure that they have seen you, have understood you are there and are not going to be backing out of the position on the road.

good luck with it..but moaning about it on youtube is like the small kids moaning at the bi kids taking the ball. Learn the game, beat them at it and it is they who will have to get to moaning!

Ride safe though - if you remember that they are out to get you and that your wits, speed and roadsense are the only things to save you..you will be right!

I see these YouTube videos as a positive thing. Bad driving can be exposed for what it is and you can get some useful tips as to how to ride defensively. There's also a reasonable amount of silly cyclist footage out there as well.

you do that?

I'm curious as to what actual offence is being committed there? Genuine question - as it's not something I do I have had no reason to question it before.

I've never performed that manoeuvre anywhere - but I'm not sure that leaving a crossing before completing crossing is actually a specific offence.

Given that the earlier part of the manoeuvre is actually joining a marked cycle path, and the crossing is a toucan.

Personally if I were to do that, I would continue across the crossing then use the small road that runs down past kitlocker, not use it to stop traffic as I could see that irritating people behind.

However if you are going to be astounded by people "admitting offences" - perhaps it might be best not to then go on to admit to deliberately dazzling other road users - which is an offence under the vehicle lighting regulations of whether it is in retaliation to a perceived infringement by others

I'm curious as to what actual offence is being committed there? Genuine question - as it's not something I do I have had no reason to question it before.

riding a bike on a crossing is an offence.

However if you are going to be astounded by people "admitting offences" - perhaps it might be best not to then go on to admit to deliberately dazzling other road users - which is an offence under the vehicle lighting regulations of whether it is in retaliation to a perceived infringement by others

driving with full beam on, isn`t

clear enough for you?

riding a bike on a crossing is an offence.

No it isn't. As I pointed out, the crossing is a toucan, No offence is committed riding across a toucan crossing.

driving with full beam on, isn`t

It most cetainly is when "[you have] taken to putting full beam on to try and counter the dazzle, oddly the cyclists don`t seem to like that"

The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989

27. No person shall use, or cause or permit to be used, on a road any vehicle on which any lamp, hazard warning signal device or warning beacon of a type specified in an item in column 2 of the Table below is used in a manner specified in that item in column 3.

1 - Headlamp - (a)Used so as to cause undue dazzle or discomfort to other persons using the road.

I think you're referring to off road night lights used by mountain bikers. When I'm on road I tilt mine downward. Many drivers don't afford me the same courtesy.

spoilt it, shame

---------- Post added 24-02-2013 at 17:23 ----------

No it isn't. As I pointed out, the crossing is a toucan, No offence is committed riding across a toucan crossing.

riding your bike on a crossing is an offence

It most cetainly is when "[you have] taken to putting full beam on to try and counter the dazzle, oddly the cyclists don`t seem to like that"

The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989

27. No person shall use, or cause or permit to be used, on a road any vehicle on which any lamp, hazard warning signal device or warning beacon of a type specified in an item in column 2 of the Table below is used in a manner specified in that item in column 3.

1 - Headlamp - (a)Used so as to cause undue dazzle or discomfort to other persons using the road.

"I`m unaware of anyone else on the road at that time officer"

you still won`t get it.

][/size]

riding your bike on a crossing is an offence

Black is not white, no matter how many times you repeat it.

Riding a cycle on a toucan crossing is NOT an offence. The crossing referred to is a toucan crossing.

As for your other silliness, well, that would be driving without due care and attention if you are unaware of other road users. You'd be better sticking with the original lesser offence...given that playing lawyer with road rules isn't your strong point as illustrated by your ignorance of the different types of crossing.

bus drivers are mostly ignorant just like the cycle peddellers

my mother hates both of them because buses use bus lens and the peddlers use them when we are late for allotments

and you can see smug faces on the the peddlers and bus driver while wehave to wait in jams for nothing

24 hours bus lanes get me annoyed.

We dont even have a 24 hour bus service yet there are bus lanes you cant use "at any time" !!!

I mean, whats the bloody point ?????

Personally I find most bus drivers in Sheffield to be highly professional and considerate when passing me on my bike.

I agree: they are mostly very good.

bus drivers are mostly ignorant just like the cycle peddellers

my mother hates both of them because buses use bus lens and the peddlers use them when we are late for allotments

and you can see smug faces on the the peddlers and bus driver while wehave to wait in jams for nothing

Yea I know what you mean, all car drivers are fantastic and never cut me up, run red lights etc whatever mode of transport I'm using:rolleyes:

1) A car or motorbike would have accelerated so that predicament wouldn't have occurred, the cyclist couldn't accelerate fast enough so the bus driver chose to undertake him

Exactly: there's no right to overtake. The HIghway Code makes it clear that it is the responsibilty of the overtaker to wait until it is safe and legal.

---------- Post added 24-02-2013 at 18:53 ----------

Yep, every cyclist I've ever spoken too also drives so they're still paying their roadtax anyway. I'm sure there is the odd cyclist without a car but it'll be the exception rather than the rule.

The recent figures: 83% of cyclists are also car-owners; 82% of non-cyclists are. But please don't call it "road tax"---it's a tax on vehicle operation; just like other excise taxes, it confers no privileges on those who pay it.

cant find that anywhere.

I think he meant 83% of cyclists wear Lycra. :gag::suspect:

(what is it with grown men wearing skin tight Lycra ?)

The bus driver should be taken to task over this, he could easily have killed the cyclist if it wasn't for his quick reactions.