Dodgy bus driving

Gets really annoying when a bus is stuck going at -10mph behind some fool on a bike in the bus lane.

They are brave though I give them that.

I have another option. The design of our roads is hostile to cyclists, or the behavior on our roads is hostile to cyclists. Or perhaps one is the cause of the other.

Take a look through the videos, I'm very very open to criticism, I don't like these things happening to me and will change my riding to prevent them if there's a better way.

Here is an example from the very same road where I remained in the cycle lane and things still went wrong for me with a dangerously close pass by a bus...

This video also shows me using the pavement/crossing/lights as I described before.

I am the cyclist in these videos.

That cycle lane is terrible. It invites drivers to overtake in a lane that's far too narrow! Personally i'd take a very strong primary here. Theres a clear safety issue. Theres another lane for drivers to overtake you in. In heavy traffic you wont be holding anyone up anyway. In light traffic there'll be plenty of room to overtake you in the other lane.

The coach drivers pass was pointless as all he did was get to the red light first.

Take your point Mr Turner ,ironic thate the bus has SAFE in big bold letters on the side.Many moons ago I worked nights for Richardson coaches and decided to foresake my car and buy a bike.Duly collected the bike and set off for work.When I arrived all nice and sweaty I threw the bike in the skip-I have never been as frightened in my life.Perhaps if everyone who drives had half an hour on a bike they would think differently.Cant the cycle lanes be placed on the edge of pavements away from street furniture or on central reservations accessible by crossings?

.Duly collected the bike and set off for work.When I arrived all nice and sweaty I threw the bike in the skip-I have never been as frightened in my life.Perhaps if everyone who drives had half an hour on a bike they would think differently.

:( This makes me really sad. Fear should never be a factor in someones choice of transport.

The Bus driver was bang out of order for doing what he did! but that is just typical of some bus drivers attitudes they think that because they drive a bus that it gives them the right to drive how they like with little consideration for other road users.

Alot of Lorry & Van drivers are like that too.

The Bus driver was bang out of order for doing what he did! but that is just typical of some bus drivers attitudes they think that because they drive a bus that it gives them the right to drive how they like with little consideration for other road users.

Alot of Lorry & Van drivers are like that too.

A lot of car, motorcycle and ccyclists are aswell. Good and bad in all, there's always some that are arrogant and think they own the road

---------- Post added 25-02-2013 at 18:17 ----------

Take your point Mr Turner ,ironic thate the bus has SAFE in big bold letters on the side.Many moons ago I worked nights for Richardson coaches and decided to foresake my car and buy a bike.Duly collected the bike and set off for work.When I arrived all nice and sweaty I threw the bike in the skip-I have never been as frightened in my life.Perhaps if everyone who drives had half an hour on a bike they would think differently.Cant the cycle lanes be placed on the edge of pavements away from street furniture or on central reservations accessible by crossings?

I started cycling to work last summer while it was warm and I ompletely agree, it can be very scary. The first day I rode a car pulled out of a junction in front of me, any faster and I wouldn't of been able to stop. I'd only been on the bike for a minute when that Happened.

I agree with whoever said everyone should have some time on a cycle to appreciate how dangerous it can be

:( This makes me really sad. Fear should never be a factor in someones choice of transport.

Fear should always be a factor in someone's choice of transport, self preservation takes precedence above all else and that includes the highway code IMO.

Though your desire to make the roads of Sheffield better for cycling on is very laudable (and foolhardy) throwing caution to the wind and behaving in such an aggressive and confrontational manner is I fear eventually going to cause you problems sooner or later.

I am both cyclist and motorist with decades of experience of both, though less cycling since moving to Sheffield. Sheffield is not a great place to be a cyclist and personally I choose to avoid using many roads that are simply not conducive to cycling even though I have every right to do so I weigh up the risks and apply common sense.

Your self appointed role of cycling policeman is probably a futile one though I wish you all the luck in the world, I imagine you'll need it.

This cyclist is either very unlucky or a menace.Over 100 videos posted on You Tube showing so called near misses and confrontations and he is never at fault.Sorry but wrongly or rightly if someone dressed like a Ninja turtle pursued me asking me to look at what he has on his head......................

1st rule of cycling................... Always blame other road users for your dangerous riding. :)

1st rule of cycling................... Always blame other road users for your dangerous riding. :)

1st rule of motor-vehicle ownership - I paid for a tax disc, passed my test so now I can drive how I want to, not how I was taught to and I must hate any vehicle that pays less than I do regardless of the law.

Has anyone wondered why cyclist don't have compulsory insurance?

A few good reasons:

• motor vehicle operators kill a few thousand people a year (in the UK), whereas cyclists kill zero to two (the annual average is less than one);
  • motor vehicles have much higher kinetic energy than bikes;
  • it's in society's interest to encourage people to exercise more and to drive less, so we should not add entry barriers to taking up cycling;
  • many homeowner's insurance policies already include cover for liability while cycling (CTC membership, which I highly recommend to all cyclists, includes an even more extensive policy).

Though your desire to make the roads of Sheffield better for cycling on is very laudable (and foolhardy) throwing caution to the wind and behaving in such an aggressive and confrontational manner is I fear eventually going to cause you problems sooner or later.

My aggressive and confrontational manner of cycling? Are we watching the same video? I moved into an empty lane to make a right turn!? :loopy:

Sometimes I stay in the cycle lane for longer and still have problems

Sheffield is not a great place to be a cyclist and personally I choose to avoid using many roads that are simply not conducive to cycling even though I have every right to do so I weigh up the risks and apply common sense.

Sheffield is a great place to cycle. We have huge rates of increases in cycling. People see it as a way to keep fit, to live healthier longer happier lives, to save money and to make our city a nicer place to live for everyone.

Your self appointed role of cycling policeman is probably a futile one though I wish you all the luck in the world, I imagine you'll need it.

My videos are my way of trying to tell the unfortunate tale of how when I'm riding a bike in my local city, I'm sometimes treated really badly.