How/what is GKR karate?

im afraid yuu lot dont have a clue wt u r on about have any of you actually done 1 lesson of gkr with a highly belted and graded instructor....??

from the sounds of your posts i do believe the answer to this is NO.

well let me set a few things straight u sed about becoming an instructor is all about going to a few seminars and then you are given a black + white instructors belt meaning you can teach at whatever grade you are at the time.....

WRONG

to get this belt yes u have 2 attend seminars but you also have to participate in a 10+ intense lessons to prove you have the control,,techniqe,,and will power to become a sensei ..(instructor)

only then are you given the belt...

the prices may seem a lot of money but training in groups works out 1 hell of a lot cheaper i have 5 members of my family training and we pay a fraction of what 1 person trains for...

so :P:roll:

no wt u on about before you dizz.

Ah, 2 seminars and 10 sessions, that makes it all okay then. :D

Just as advice, text speak is not acceptable on the forum, wt = what, no = know, u = you, r = are. It doesn't take long to type the extra characters.

im afraid yuu lot dont have a clue wt u r on about have any of you actually done 1 lesson of gkr with a highly belted and graded instructor....??

well let me set a few things straight u sed about becoming an instructor is all about going to a few seminars and then you are given a black + white instructors belt meaning you can teach at whatever grade you are at the time.....

WRONG

to get this belt yes u have 2 attend seminars but you also have to participate in a 10+ intense lessons to prove you have the control,,techniqe,,and will power to become a sensei ..(instructor)

the prices may seem a lot of money but training in groups works out 1 hell of a lot cheaper i have 5 members of my family training and we pay a fraction of what 1 person trains for...

Way to convincingly put your argument.

10 sessions to get a Black Belt?

Someones aving a larf

WRONG

If you read the rest of the the thread you will see that everyone has suggested the Pete has a look at some other styles in addition to his own.

Your post really didn't put the point across very well and just sounded like a childish rant.

Most of the people on the thread above you have spent 8+ years (at least) to gain their Black belt and those that are instructors even longer, so you'll see their point when they say 2 seminars plus 10 ish intense sessions sounds far too little. :)

I don't think she means black belt, they let more or less any belt teach.

Considering the wealth of truly excellent martial arts teachers in the UK, I'm not sure why anyone would choose to go with someone who's had 10 sessions and 2 seminars.

The club I train at now (in Manchester) is run by three no holds barred fighters with decent pro-rules fight records, who train and teach in their own gym seven days a week as a full time, professional activity and have been doing martial arts at a high level since childhood. In Sheffield there are plenty of clubs with a similar level of instructorship.

I suspect GKR is a 'family club' thing, bring your two kids and lose some weight, rather than martial arts per se. Might as well do Tae Bo or something. Or just make up your own karate in your living room and save some money.

2 seminars + 10 intense lessons? ok then!

i have and still dont thimk its up to much mind there are bad apples in every basket

I have also been to look at one of their classes with a "highly graded instructor". To be brutally honest it was abysmal. When I asked about sparring the instructor (im using this word quite loosely) stated it was no contact, but was very keen to point out that he had broken someone's nose in a tournament, quite contradicting and shows a lack of control and respect for the rules if it was true.

As for the obligatory "black and white" belted 15 year... Just a joke, no skill, or respect, if anything he was making even harder for people to learnt he rubbish they were trying to teach. He also seemed very closed minded, this seems to be common among the GKR'ers for some reason..

Hi all just stumbled on this forum by searching for GKR karate on google as ive just started my daughter and i we also had a knock at the door and there was a man with a GKR tracksuit on i have only attended 2 classes 1 a week and the alarm bells have started to sound by reading this thread i have had no MA training before this is my 1st club i have joined and by all your comments you all seem to ave studied years to achieve ur status the sensai has told me that in 2 weeks which will be 4 lessons i will acheive my yellow belt i thought i was just taking to karate well this will be obtained by a kata using block punch block punch 3 forward punches then in reverse does this sound right that a MA noob like me can obtain a belt within 4 lessons it just seems very quick and by ur comments i think i understand why

No, it doesn't.

I expect my students to have done roughly 30 - 40 hours before going for their first grading. In 8 hours most people are still trying to figure out which is their left foot.

No, it doesn't.

I expect my students to have done roughly 30 - 40 hours before going for their first grading. In 8 hours most people are still trying to figure out which is their left foot.

Is that a serious comment?