How/what is GKR karate?

Ive heard that they even threaten to beat up parents if they dont pay up,..etc

Doesn't really sound that scary does it?:hihi: :hihi:

i think if people are happy doing what they like to do then let them do it, certification means nothing as long as they are happy who cares!

They are being conned. It's like a pyramid scheme, everyones happy until it collapses.

Its just a shame that when it collapses and there word falls in on them it sometimes puts them off from trying another Martial art.

The GKR sales force knocked on my door again this week. :rolleyes:

In their 'official' tracksuits with shiny glossy brochures ect. I answered the door he said hello.

I just looked at him and said

"Go-Kan-Ru ? Nah, your no good, tried it bought the t-shirt and you have already disillusioned most parents on this estate so I suggest you save yourself the footslog and get out of the rain"

He gave me the resigned look of someone who knew full well that was true and he was flogging a dead horse and scuttled off with his head hanging low.

If one of them knocked on my door I'd probably ask them if they wanted private kata lessons for £30 an hour :hihi:

Hi every one one thing Martial arts has taught me it is respect for other styles and i have to say your all right on this one (even you Freddy):o

some one once said "if you havn't anything good to say about anyone then don't say anything, that way you can't get in trouble " so here are my views on GKR " ". :hihi:

I'd love to see a GKR rep on here just to see them try and justify their practices. I'd also love to know how "Kancho" Sullivan managed to get from 2nd Dan gojo ryu to 7th Dan GKR all under his own steam! I hereby declare myself a 10th Dan Hanshi (if he can, I damn well can :hihi:)

What I'd love to know is how they justify this statement, taken from their website:

"Go-Kan-Ryu Karate is a traditional Japanese style of karate. The style was founded by Robert Sullivan in 1984 in Adelaide, South Australia – Australia. "

I've highlighted the conflicting information

surely traditional means something with a tradition, ie it's been going on for a while, not just started up in 1984

Now if they'd said it was founded in 1984, based on traditional japanese karate, THAT would make sense, but their statement doesn't make sense to me as it stands

The thing that makes me laugh is that Gokan means rape in Japanese!

Don't fancy training in Rape Way Karate!!!:D :D

Just had the muppets round at our house - got all arsey with me when I told him I wouldn't cough up any money there and then. Good way to get new custom....

aaaaaaaaaa

Edited by Pete GKR

Hiya Pete GKR,

How much do you charge per lesson or per month?

Is there a joining fee?

How much is a licence?

What hidden expenses are there that aren't known about until a licence is obtained?

Do karate suits or equipment have to be bought through the club?

How long is it between gradings ,say up to blue belt, (based on attendance of twice a week) ditto from blue to blackbelt?

What is the lowest grade of any GKR instructor in Sheffield?

What grade is the instructor who grades brown and black belt students? Does that instructor attend specific Dan training classes him/herself?

Where, how often and who with?

What grade is that instructor?

As a traditional martial art there must be some lineage back to it's founder, could you publish that lineage i.e. fom founder to present day?

Is GKR registered as a Traditional Martial Art with the Japanese controlling body?

I'm told GO -KAN is part GOju-ryu and ShotoKAN, how did your founder become so proficient in both Martial Arts in so short a time, that they were able to establish their own style?

Did this founder ask permission of any one of the heads of any of these styles permission to do so? Not that he needed to, but as a matter of good manners which, as you know, is part and parcel of Karate.do

Something must have gone belly-up in GKR Sheffield, for I know of at least six people that are now training in a more established style. Would you care to comment on this ,please?