How/what is GKR karate?

What?

It is dangerous.

The way we learn how to kick and punch... the techniques are dangerous.

Are they not?

That is the reason what else do you want me to say?

And I don't know why we don't use full protective clothing and make full contact (even that would hurt), I think you're forgetting, I'm just a student, I'm not even a Sensei.

If you've never punched anyone or been punched, how do you know they're dangerous? Do you consider your techniques to be more dangerous than say, an amateur boxer's?

What?

It is dangerous.

Are they not?

And I don't know why we don't use full protective clothing and make full contact (even that would hurt), I think you're forgetting, I'm just a student, I'm not even a Sensei.

You're not helping yourself at all, and you've just shown how very little you know.

Of course all MA are dangerous but how can you learn to fight 'effectively' if you've never touched someone.

I don't do MA but had a brief misguided dalliance with GKR. The only thing I can see it being good for is keep fit.

You are arguing against some very, very experienced people on here and not doing very well.

aaaaaaaaaaaa

Edited by Pete GKR

What?

It is dangerous.

Are they not?

Hi PeteGKR

Full contact styles are only dangerous if you

1. are not trained properly to defend yourself.

2. Are not conditioned to take a full contact blow even to the body.

By the sounds of things , both of the above are most likely true.

Now this is my invitation to you peteGKR:

Im NOT going to ask you to spar with myself or one of my students, that would be pointless (it is also a form of bullying that happens all too often in martial arts and at AFK, we are not about bullying).

Im NOT going to ask you to leave GKR (if you have spent a lot of time and money in the club and believe its a good one pointless to leave it by the wayside

What i AM going to do, I hereby with open arms invite you to have a look at how we do things at AFK, train in a beginners class, sample how I teach people to punch how you will be taught to kick with POWER (real power, not the traditional style mawashigeri which is sadly outdated now) , how to defend against head punches (which are the most common form of assault on the streets) and a few basics of what works and what puts you in a worse position than you started with.

I am not here to argue with anyone or belittle anyone. I am simply inviting you to open your mind and have a look at how someone else down the street do things.

So PeteGKR, what do you say?

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Edited by Pete GKR

I would go to it, but I live miles away in Warwickshire :)

But I thankyou for the offer :)

WOW!!! what brings you to a sheffield forum?

Hey where in warwickshire? I know some guys in warwick, Team Voodoo who do a similar martial art to what we do.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Edited by Pete GKR

Hello.

I don't give a **** how "well" I'm doing in an e-argument against some people who have no respect.

I only posted here to answer your questions, not to have me and the style of Karate I train with insulted.

GKR wins most of the medals at Nas.

Thankyou.

I haven't read all of the posts, but my own post and the ones that i have read (since your initial post) do not exhibit any lack of respect, just a questioning nature and a degree of cynicism, which in my case is largely due to your own comments.

of course kicking and punching is dangerous, but not so dangerous that if, performed in a safe environment, it would incapacitate all involved...and yes, it would hurt even if one wore protective equipement, but how else does the person executing or receiving a technique get any feedback as to whether or not it works?

LOL I got here by typing GKR Karate into Google :)

QUOTE]

in that case you must know that GKR as a TERRIBLE reputation! I haven't tried it personally (happy where i train and what in), but it does have a terrible reputation.

the law of averages states that an organisation as big as GKR must produce some good clubs/karateka, so if you've found one, well done to you - good clubs are difficult to find whatever style, organisation, etc., but i'm afraid you'll need to acknoweldge GKR's reputation as a whole and the fact that you aren't going to change it.

if you're in/near coventry you should get yourself over to Geoff Thompson's!

"Have you seen the amount of damage that occurs when someone accidently makes contact in a tournament? Imagine what would happen if they actually made full contact? This style of Karate is so dangerous that if we punched and kicked each other every week, then we wouldn't have many students left to train. What is the point in betaing each other up just for that? The amount of damage that occurs when light contact is accidently made is huge. Imagine a full contact punch or kick".

What a joke !!!! Possibly the most ridiculous statement by a "martial artist" i have ever heard. You are supposed to be learning a fighting art for Pete`s sake, If you are not prepared to take a knock take up chess (but be careful you don`t chip a nail on those heavy pieces). GKR is an over hyped, over priced, karate version of boxercise.

The reason GKR do so well at the NAS is because they make up 99% of competitors!!!!!:gag:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Edited by Pete GKR

Even if GKR did make up 99% of the competitors that doesn't mean anything really!

If that 1% was better than the other 99%, then surely he'd win anyway!

depends how many medals there are...