How/what is GKR karate?

Nice one price, I too would like answers to those questions plus few of my own.

1. Didn`t the founder of GKR think people might find it a tiny bit suspicous if he had signed his own grades from 2nd Dan to 8th ?

2. What is so special about GKR students that they think they can charge people for tuition and be called Sensei when they may only be a yellow/orange/green belt ?

3.Don`t you think the black and white belt is just an attempt to cover the truth that the instructor isn`t a real dan grade along with the line " its disrespectful to ask your instructors grade".

4. How would YOU feel if you found out your 4th or 5th kyu instructor or "Sensei" was charging you £5+ an class when you could train with a internationally recognised 5th dan for half that.

I am a 2nd dan at Wado Ryu and do not feel entitled to be called Sensei.

Ditto that (Judo in my case). I don't know why though, it's only a word!

My students refer to me by name or 'coach'.

Nice one price, I too would like answers to those questions plus few of my own.

1. Didn`t the founder of GKR think people might find it a tiny bit suspicous if he had signed his own grades from 2nd Dan to 8th ?

2. What is so special about GKR students that they think they can charge people for tuition and be called Sensei when they may only be a yellow/orange/green belt ?

3.Don`t you think the black and white belt is just an attempt to cover the truth that the instructor isn`t a real dan grade along with the line " its disrespectful to ask your instructors grade".

4. How would YOU feel if you found out your 4th or 5th kyu instructor or "Sensei" was charging you £5+ an class when you could train with a internationally recognised 5th dan for half that.

All this about GKR sounds familiar but Im surprised that people still go to clubs like this when there are a lot of good instructors about in other styles.

I mean , instructors teaching after only a few months experience???

Which idiot is sending their kids to train under those clowns?

Which idiot is sending their kids to train under those clowns?

Folks that don't know any better. Like my lovely sister, who knows not about MA stuff, kindly saved me a flyer when they visited her door.

The problem is that "Joe Public" knows very little about martial arts, lets face it GKR look very proffessional, matching tracksuits, posh leaflets and paperwork, international organisation etc etc.

Compare that to the average Karate club meeting in a village hall, or the Wicker Camp where I now train with its peeling plaster and cracked windows.

Which will draw the parent with no martial arts background ?

Interesting that GKR guy hasn`t answered the quetions yet?

The main question I forgot to ask is how can you have (and whats the point of) a completely contactless martial art :huh: might as well take up sewing

This style of Karate is so dangerous QUOTE]

:D Thats the funniest thing ive heard in a long time.

The reason I haven't answered the questions yet, is because I wasn't here.

Now there's a lot of questions to answer, let me get to it.

:)

Have you seen the amount of damage that occurs when someone accidently makes contact in a tournament? Imagine what would happen if they actually made full contact? This style of Karate is so dangerous that if we punched and kicked each other every week, then we wouldn't have many students left to train.

I assume that this is a serious answer?

if 'this style' of karate is so dangerous, why isn't more popular in terms of the stand-up striking component for MMA? I would guess that the pro athletes who compete in such competitions choose boxing/muay thai etc. because they're acknowledged as the best stand-up systems. Surely GKR isn't so dangerous that the equivalant to an amateur boxing bout or thai fight couldn't be arranged? (full contact with protective equpment for example)

please excuse my cynicism but the 'this system is so dangerous' argument tends to be the stock answer for systems that are not pressure tested, their advocates arguing that eye gouges, dim mak, etc. etc. etc. wouldn't be allowed...all that stuff is great in theory, but theory and practice are often different...

Have you seen the amount of damage that occurs when someone accidently makes contact in a tournament? Imagine what would happen if they actually made full contact? This style of Karate is so dangerous that if we punched and kicked each other every week, then we wouldn't have many students left to train. What is the point in betaing each other up just for that? The amount of damage that occurs when light contact is accidently made is huge. Imagine a full contact punch or kick.

Imagine a full contact punch or kick? No need to imagine one they happen a lot in boxing, thaiboxing or kickboxing. When you say that "this style is so dangerous" what did you mean by that?

Were you serious or just having me on ?

Have you seen the amount of damage that occurs when someone accidently makes contact in a tournament? Imagine what would happen if they actually made full contact? This style of Karate is so dangerous that if we punched and kicked each other every week, then we wouldn't have many students left to train. What is the point in betaing each other up just for that? The amount of damage that occurs when light contact is accidently made is huge. Imagine a full contact punch or kick.

Damage only occurs because they're not conditioned, due to fighting zero contact. It's probably more shock value than anything, the first time you get hit properly hurts a lot more than than the 1500th.

We train full (well, nearly full) contact quite a lot at my MMA club. I've only been hurt twice, I was winded for 5 minutes once by a polish guy who looked like steven seagal and concussed / throwing up after a full on ground and pound, again by a larger guy. Not nice, but you learn from it and are hardened by it.

It's necessary to train with at least moderate contact so that you become physically and psychologically prepared to take blows. Chefkickers club and higher grades at the wicker also train with a high degree of contact - as in fact do any club that produce real martial artists.

Actually by not making contact you probably don't realise how ineffective your strikes are. I thought mine were okay when going to kickboxing and muay thai after doing traditional jujitsu and karate, and they just bounced off people. Only just starting to get to the stage where I'd feel like I could really cause any significant damage at all to someone with even a basic defense.

Seems you've fallen for this one hook line and sinker and I have to wonder how much money you're making from it. If you're genuinely looking to learn how to fight or even just a genuine art for art's sake, try some other clubs. There are good ones out there (disappointingly, I'd say I've been to far more bad ones than good ones, but GKR sounds particularly low...).

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Edited by Pete GKR

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Edited by Pete GKR