Walkers Crisps for veggies?

What are your thoughts on the Walkers new ingredients?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. What are your thoughts on the Walkers new ingredients?

• I will continue to eat Walkers
    • I will not eat the new flavours
    • I will boycott Walkers as a company

We have just noticed that the new(?) Walkers crisps flavours - Chicken and Smokey Bacon - these are now no longer vegetarian

Considering they have been veggie for a long time the assumption is that they would still be until you read the ingredients!!

What are peoples views on this?

I for one will now boycott Walkers due to the change and the underhand way they have changed it

You're the one choosing not to eat meat so it's your responsibility to check.

And on the Facebook page, on the packet, right on the front under the flavour says "With pork from Norfolk", if somebody is too stupid to at least double check after seeing that then I'm surprised they're not eating firelighters or something. To me, they've made it unambiguously clear that it contains real meat.

Edited by Super Hans

Having been a vegetarian for 30+ years I try never to make assumptions about any processed foods. Food companies often change formulations, so it’s no great surprise that Walkers have done what you say. As all ingredients are listed on the packet, I don’t think it’s all that underhand, particularly with the flavours you mention. Personally I won’t be eating the new flavours but because I don’t eat anything meat-flavoured anyway (even when it's proclaimed as being “suitable for vegetarians”). I wonder when we’ll start seeing horse-flavoured crisps?

apparntley plain crisps have a higher meat content than beef flavour

Cheese and onion are the worst apparently, they contain quite a bit of rennet.

Cheese and onion are the worst apparently, they contain quite a bit of rennet.

I was just thinking that - haven't the cheesy ones always had rennet in?

I'm confused..why would a vegetarian want to eat smokey bacon or chicken flavour crisps?

I'm confused..why would a vegetarian want to eat smokey bacon or chicken flavour crisps?

Because we like the taste. You think people choose not to eat meat because they don't like the taste? Perhaps some of us have more ethical reasons.

Because they're nice?

Because we like the taste. You think people choose not to eat meat because they don't like the taste? Perhaps some of us have more ethical reasons.

No I understand that...I thought you might see the marketing of such flavours as maybe encouraging more meat eating...

It might be my distant memory mistaking me but smokey bacon crisps taste nothing like the real meat version do they:confused: Personally I think both are :gag:

I don't think Walkers have done anything underhand. Manufacturers are always altering recipes and if you choose not to eat a certain ingredient then surely it's up to you to check, just like if you have an allergy to certain food stuffs.