The Clairvoyant Megathread- all discussion in here please

Phoney or Fantastic?  

228 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Phoney or Fantastic?

• Utter claptrap, just releiving the dim of their money
    • Great, helped me no end, wont have a bad word said
    • Sceptical, tell me more.....

Lynn Brown, does anyone have a phone number? The one I have no longer works. PM with details please.

Thanks

Before you spend any money, ask yourselves this...

Out of all of the millions of people around the world who claim to have this superpower, how many of them use it for a benevolent cause?  How many of them use it in an altruistic way, for the good of humankind?

Vs.

How many use it to make a few quid for themselves, after first convincing people by telling them about stuff that has already happened

Hmm?

Edited by RootsBooster
typo

19 minutes ago, RootsBooster said:

Before you spend any money, ask yourselves this...

Out of all of the millions of people around the world who claim to have this superpower, how many of them use it for a benevolent cause?  How many of them use it in an altruistic way, for the good of humankind?

Vs.

How many use it to make a few quid for themselves, after first convincing people by telling them about stuff that has already happened

Hmm?

You'd think that after all these years of the chosen few talking to the dead the personal messages would have advanced a bit further than 'Uncle Bob wants you to know that he's very proud of you'.   How about 'the missing treasure is under the cellar floor' or 'I was bumped off by cousin Janice and she also faked my will'.  Such a disappointment. 

Listen to the excellent Patrick Jane:

1 hour ago, Hecate said:

You'd think that after all these years of the chosen few talking to the dead the personal messages would have advanced a bit further than 'Uncle Bob wants you to know that he's very proud of you'.   How about 'the missing treasure is under the cellar floor' or 'I was bumped off by cousin Janice and she also faked my will'.  Such a disappointment. 

Listen to the excellent Patrick Jane:

I knew you were going to say this , yesterday 😁

Haven't the police been known to use psychics?

I remember reading about it.

7 hours ago, Anna B said:

Did you read it or did you know it without being informed? 😉

I recall or think that I recall someone saying that they know exactly what it’s like just after you die, it’s exactly he same as it was just before you were born. 🤫

7 hours ago, Anna B said:

There have been cases in the USA (where they believe in such things more readily) that involved people who claim to have psychic powers. The results ranged from totally wrong/misdirecting information to cases having some success, with the success being indistinguishable from chance luck.

There are various (profiting) docu-dramas, books, youtube videos that hype things up a bit more.

At the end of the day, if something has already happened and somebody has knowledge of that event, that's not a superpower.

8 hours ago, Anna B said:

If someone shows up claiming to know where the bodies are buried the police will pay attention, no?  Though perhaps not for the reason anticipated, provided the person isn't floridly batty, or an obvious or repeated attention/publicity seeker.    Everything has to be logged. 

Lots of 'psychics' have claimed to have successfully helped the police, like lots of psychic surgeons have claimed to have successfully cured cancer.  Some folk don't need those claims to be scrutinised to believe them.

I imagine these days regulations govern more tightly this sort of thing, protecting investigations from the vagaries of eccentric chief superintendents (or whoever's at the top).  Having a nice uniform with lots of shiny brass on it doesn't necessarily protect you from being subject to wacky beliefs or influenced by charlatans.  Project Stargate is a fun read.

Edited by Guest

5 hours ago, Hecate said:

If someone shows up claiming to know where the bodies are buried the police will pay attention, no?  Though perhaps not for the reason anticipated, provided the person isn't floridly batty, or an obvious or repeated attention/publicity seeker.    Everything has to be logged. 

Lots of 'psychics' have claimed to have successfully helped the police, like lots of psychic surgeons have claimed to have successfully cured cancer.  Some folk don't need those claims to be scrutinised to believe them.

I imagine these days regulations govern more tightly this sort of thing, protecting investigations from the vagaries of eccentric chief superintendents (or whoever's at the top).  Having a nice uniform with lots of shiny brass on it doesn't necessarily protect you from being subject to wacky beliefs or influenced by charlatans.  Project Stargate is a fun read.

Indeed, the Fraudulent Mediums Act 1951 means that anyone who can't prove they have these superpowers have to provide their (paid) services under the category of "Entertainment" 

This alone should ring alarm bells with anyone wanting to pay good money to these people for their services.

If a "doctor" was listed as an entertainer rather than a medical professional, would people choose him to cure them?

Edited by RootsBooster

13 hours ago, Anna B said:

Didn't they also use to take photographs of the eyes thinking it might contain the image of a person's killer?

2 hours ago, geared said:

Didn't they also use to take photographs of the eyes thinking it might contain the image of a person's killer?

Probably, people used to have all kinds of ridiculous beliefs.

Unfortunately we haven't fully moved on from ridiculous beliefs yet.

On 12/02/2022 at 14:07, DumDom said:

Lynn Brown, does anyone have a phone number? The one I have no longer works. PM with details please.

Thanks

Hi,  If you get hold of this please let me know as I would really like her number too. I saw her over 10 years ago and her advice was really accurate. Thanks