Local Business listings

I am looking to place details of my business in as many local directories as possible - was wondering if anyone had any advice as to good ones to sign up to.

Just started a paid campaign with yell.com but other than that, I'm not signed up to too much.

Forget Yell, you're throwing money away. Run Google Ads...you'll have much better success (but you have to put the time and effort in to get your campaigns right).

Directories used to be useful for generating in bound links to websites, but these days they have little (if no) value.

Read 'SEO for Dummies', it will be the best £20 odd you will ever spend.

Forget Yell, you're throwing money away. Run Google Ads...you'll have much better success (but you have to put the time and effort in to get your campaigns right).

Directories used to be useful for generating in bound links to websites, but these days they have little (if no) value.

Read 'SEO for Dummies', it will be the best £20 odd you will ever spend.

Steve, that's wrong mate. My stats say so.

Directories and citations are the best form of inbound links for local businesses like his.

Paid traffic is ok and good to test, But organic is better qualitatively.

Typically my clients have longer site visits, more pages looked at and better conversion with targeted local seo.

---------- Post added 22-02-2013 at 12:38 ----------

I'd add to that, a paid campaign will benefit from better organic rankings. Don't discount paid, just work out the roi.

---------- Post added 22-02-2013 at 12:41 ----------

Rather then buying a book that's out of date, take a look at guys like neil patel or more generally ryan deiss' driving traffic. For foundation level stuff you cant beat seomoz.

I've written to cancel the yell.com deal, which according to the contract I have a 'short time' to do so.

I'm going to commit to the spend, but give it more thought before I commit to anything. £550 is what the cost of the yell deal is, which is a pretty significant sum at this stage of my business. I'll channel this into other areas of marketing I think.

I'll do a bit of reading up like you guys said.

Yes the Yell spend at £550 would not have brought you a profitable ROI.

Don't waste your time registering with pointless and endless directory submissions. Do a few good ones (UK based) and leave it at that.

There is plenty other stuff you could do with your £550.

I am looking to place details of my business in as many local directories as possible - was wondering if anyone had any advice as to good ones to sign up to.

Just started a paid campaign with yell.com but other than that, I'm not signed up to too much.

Yell is a total waste of money.

Better spend that money on Google ads & SEO.

UK Based Directories with High Page Rank will give you valuable back links. It will be an add on to your SEO efforts.

Kind regards,

Bonwebuk

Apparently the pin for my google places listing can take up to 3 weeks to arrive (placed listing 6 days ago).

Anyone know a way of getting around this?

There is no way around it - the point is to verify you actually are at the address you are claiming to be at. But they can arrive a bit sooner so have to be patient i'm afraid.

Right, cheers.

I suppose it makes sense, but it's a right pain having to wait. I read that in some instances it can be done via telephone, but I don't have the option on the dashboard for mine.

It used to do telephone verification but that stopped quite some time ago.

Apparently the pin for my google places listing can take up to 3 weeks to arrive (placed listing 6 days ago).

Anyone know a way of getting around this?

SEO is also another option pal... We started 3 weeks ago and already on 6th page of Google for our highly competitive keywords. Also managed to get a local client on first page of Google earlier...

So do consider this option.

Kind regards,

Bonwebuk

SEO is also another option pal... We started 3 weeks ago and already on 6th page of Google for our highly competitive keywords. Also managed to get a local client on first page of Google earlier...

So do consider this option.

Kind regards,

Bonwebuk

Cheers,

I need to go a bit more mainstream with my google ranking. Top of 'sheffield graphic design' but nowhere for anything else.