I need a solicitor for EU flight compensation claim?

yes we did pay on credit card. We were delayed for 13 hours coming home. I have gone through all the right channels with monarch after the new EU ruling came in to effect.

They have come back to me saying they will not pay out compensation as the delay was caused by 'exterordinary circumstances' - this was a mechanical fault with the plane.

i have researched this more and it seems monarch are not paying any compensation out and using this 'exterordinary circumstances' thing as a way of getting out of it.

we are entitled to £340 each under the EU ruling.

How do you come to this conclusion,a hotel room and 3 meals doesn't cost £340 per person.

I dont know the exact circumstances as youv'e been a bit vague.

I think you're being silly with the claim,and most no win -no fee solicitors will not entertain you,especially if your being economical with the facts

I think you're being silly with the claim,and most no win -no fee solicitors will not entertain you,especially if your being economical with the facts

Not will not, we simply cannot. There are no costs in small claims and not many people will work for free.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Not will not, we simply cannot. There are no costs in small claims and not many people will work for free.

confused:confused::confused:

confused

Why confused?

111KAB is right, there are different ways. I've experienced a couple of long delays over the last few years and taken a different route each time.

The first time we waited for over 7 hours for a flight to Spain from Gatwick. Being unaware of how the process worked we went through an claims manager (refund.me) that we found on the internet. Last year we experienced a similar delay but knowing a little more about the process I decided to get in touch with the airline and claim myself.

If I'm honest, both worked fine. Maybe we were lucky, I've heard some terror stories about airlines ignoring claims for months on end. The intermediary worked well, we got our money fairly quickly but they took a commission, which of course we didn't have to pay when we did it all ourselves.

If I find myself in that situation again I'd probably just claim directly again. It's just a question of whether you want to have to deal with the potential hassle if problems do come up.

111KAB If I'm honest, both worked fine. Maybe we were lucky, I've heard some terror stories about airlines ignoring claims for months on end. .

Probably some individual writing rubbish letters and being lead a merry dance.

If the stories are true, you can be sure it won`t have been court claims that the airlines have been ignoring for months. There are set time lines for responses with consequences. Bailiffs would be straight in there and coming out with anything of worth.

---------- Post added 26-08-2014 at 15:25 ----------

yes we did pay on credit card..

Why have you not put a claim in with the credit card company:huh:

Probably some individual writing rubbish letters and being lead a merry dance.

If the stories are true, you can be sure it won`t have been court claims that the airlines have been ignoring for months. There are set time lines for responses with consequences. Bailiffs would be straight in there and coming out with anything of worth.

Perhaps so. I've also come across websites that provide you with template letters that lay everything out for you, so with a bit of research you can get around the problem of not knowing exactly what you need to say.

Edited by nikki-red
fixed quote

I'm not sure why a large company would bother putting in the effort to defend against such a small claim.

It probably cost them more in fee's to employ a solicitor than they would save from not paying the claim.

How do you come to this conclusion,a hotel room and 3 meals doesn't cost £340 per person.

I dont know the exact circumstances as youv'e been a bit vague.

These are the amounts specified by EU for compensation (not repayment of incurred expenses, just compensation for the delay).

It depends on duration of delay and the total distance of the flight.

Why comment on it when you clearly don't know much about the subject?

My wife just got compensation through from United Airlines for a 24 hr delay on a business flight to the US. £480 in the form of a Visa prepaid card. This was a mechanical fault which by the time it was fixed meant the crew had exceeded their allowed time. They didn't quibble at all, paid up within about 2 months.

---------- Post added 27-08-2014 at 10:57 ----------

Why have you not put a claim in with the credit card company:huh:

Because they aren't responsible for paying compensation.

If the flight had never happened then you could get a refund from the CC company, but they can't help in this situation.

Small claims sounds like the way forward, it won't cost much to file, and you may well get the £700 owed out of them.

---------- Post added 27-08-2014 at 10:59 ----------

I'm not sure why a large company would bother putting in the effort to defend against such a small claim.

It probably cost them more in fee's to employ a solicitor than they would save from not paying the claim.

They could well just pay up when they receive the court papers (or even letter of intent) to avoid the cost of defending it.

Edited by Cyclone

Because the first airline to pay out for one of these cases will cause an avalanche of claims. They've successfully defended many of these claims where unexpected and unplanned maintenance has been required for safety reasons.

Personally, I'd be happier with an airline that goes "oh, that part has unexpectedly broke, we'd best fix it now" than the one which goes "well, we could fix it, but it's going to cost us thousands in compensation payments, so we'll send it on it's way, fix it when we can and hope for the best".

Personally, I'd be happier with an airline that goes "oh, that part has unexpectedly broke, we'd best fix it now" than the one which goes "well, we could fix it, but it's going to cost us thousands in compensation payments, so we'll send it on it's way, fix it when we can and hope for the best".
Except, they're never going to do that, as a few "thousands in compensation payments" positively pales into insignificance in the face of the contingency funding requirements and subsequent liability insurance premiums associated with a crash caused by one such 'unfixed' part (which airline accident investigators would be sure to find about in this day and age) ;)

So fly happy :D