PlayStation 4 Press Conference

Does anyone know when the PlayStation 4 Press Conference will be and what time, heard it is tonight.

Who will be watching and are there any who want 3 but are willing to wait for 4?

Here are some live stream links for the event...

http://www.whathifi.com/news/update-sony-pins-hopes-on-playstation-4-as-affordable-home-entertainment-hub-watch-the-live-vid

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-20-sonys-new-playstation-reveal

Edited by BEDROCK

PlayStation Europe ‏@PlayStationEU

40 mins til showtime and press are taking their seats here in New York. Stay tuned for updates through the night #PlayStation2013

What did everyone think of the ps4 even then? It's going to be a tidy piece of kit by the looks of it. Love the social integration.

I didn't watch it but by the reports I've read elsewhere, the conference has been deemed a bit of a damp squib.

Several articles mention the lack of a physical display unit, even if it was just the casing, no preview of the GUI/OS. Plenty about tech specs but nothing to intrigued your average home-user.

People have been complaining in droves about the move to the AMD cpu however since AMD also make the GPU there are no compatibility issues between the two, no software conversions that unnecessarily need doing.

I notice that there was no mention of the chip on discs that stops the disc from being used in any other ps4 after it has been used for the first time.

If they really do implement that, it will be the end of the PS4 before it is even started.

I notice that there was no mention of the chip on discs that stops the disc from being used in any other ps4 after it has been used for the first time.

If they really do implement that, it will be the end of the PS4 before it is even started.

I doubt they'll embed hardware onto the discs themselves. It's far more likely that we'll see a system similar to the likes of Window Genuine Advantage. They'll put a unique digital signatures on both the discs and the console. When the disc is first used it'll be paired and recorded on Sony's servers. The next time the disc is inserted the system will ping the server, check that both signatures match and if they do, play the content. If not then refuse to work.

What did everyone think of the ps4 even then? It's going to be a tidy piece of kit by the looks of it. Love the social integration.

By the looks of it it will be invisible too making it difficult to find.:hihi:

I doubt they'll embed hardware onto the discs themselves. It's far more likely that we'll see a system similar to the likes of Window Genuine Advantage. They'll put a unique digital signatures on both the discs and the console. When the disc is first used it'll be paired and recorded on Sony's servers. The next time the disc is inserted the system will ping the server, check that both signatures match and if they do, play the content. If not then refuse to work.

Sony patented the chip on disc thing, look it up :)

They've already confirmed that there will be no lockout of pre-owned software, apparently the patent isn't PS4 related. We shall see.

Article here.

Edited by segasonic
Added link.

A publication number, or at least a linky, would help.

I'd be quite interested to see how they are proposing to i/o with the "disc-mounted" chip as the disc rotates at silly RPMs ;)

My £££s are on a unique (disc-) serial number correlated with a unique (console/PC/etc.-) serial number in a database administered by a remote permissions server, per Resident's post. Which I very much doubt could achieve patentability (at least in such broad terms), even in the US (these days).

It wasn't so much a chip but some form of RFID tag, but it's by the by Sony have come out and stated you will be able to use pre owned games on ps4.