How important is the direction a garden faces?

I've just had an offer accepted on a lovely house and I'm very pleased with it. The outcome of this question is not going to change my decision. However, I was recently asked which direction the garden faces. It's isn't really something that I had considered before. At first I thought that I didn't really mind, I'm not one for sunbathing anyway, but then I reconsidered and realised that I want a bright garden with lots growing in it- not a gloomy place where nothing will grow.

So I checked on google maps and the garden faces south-west. Great.... But the garden is small and the end wall of another house goes across the back of the house. As the house is lower down the hill than this other one the wall is very tall and could be very overshadowing. One side fence of the garden is also very tall. It's just leaves the garden 'open' to possible sunshine from north-west or directly above. I visited at about 2pm the other day and couldn't see any light on the garden at that time... But it is only February!

Can anyone reassure me that the garden will get some light?! What time of day/year might it catch some?

Thanks

If it's very close to you, then try visiting at several times throughout the day.

From the sounds of it, you are only likely to catch the morning sun.

I don't think it will get any sun in the morning as the sun will rise on the front of the house, in the east. I'm wondering if it would get the last rays from the west... But possibly only in summer as it is dark early at the moment... I could try going up later but as the sun appears fairly low in the sky at this time of year I'm not sure if it wold help in guessing what summer will be like.

You'll get some sun in summer when the sun is at its highest. It may even have swept around the house at the bottom of the garden before it drops low enough for it to cast a shadow. A south west facing garden without any obstructions gets it from 11 ish right through to sunset.

There may be some signs in the garden that could help. If everthing is covered in green lichen and there's not much in the way of healthy looking plants or even a decent (unpatchy) lawn it could suggest its generally damp and dark. Of course crappy looking plants etc could also suggest the owner is not much of a gardener too!

Edited by lil-minx92

Thanks. It hasn't really got a lawn at the moment, more of a terrace, and there aren't many plants at this time of year... Hopefully it'll be fine in the nicer weather!

If all else fails, you could always consider putting artificial grass down with some

flowers or plants in pots which don't need a lot of sun. :)

If your garden faces SW, then it should be really nice in the evenings during the summer.

Plant some jasmine (white flowering climber )...it looks and smells lovely.

I've just had an offer accepted on a lovely house and I'm very pleased with it. The outcome of this question is not going to change my decision. However, I was recently asked which direction the garden faces. It's isn't really something that I had considered before. At first I thought that I didn't really mind, I'm not one for sunbathing anyway, but then I reconsidered and realised that I want a bright garden with lots growing in it- not a gloomy place where nothing will grow.

So I checked on google maps and the garden faces south-west. Great.... But the garden is small and the end wall of another house goes across the back of the house. As the house is lower down the hill than this other one the wall is very tall and could be very overshadowing. One side fence of the garden is also very tall. It's just leaves the garden 'open' to possible sunshine from north-west or directly above. I visited at about 2pm the other day and couldn't see any light on the garden at that time... But it is only February!

Can anyone reassure me that the garden will get some light?! What time of day/year might it catch some?

Thanks

It might have been more prudent to raise these issues before making an offer.Would you consider pulling out if the garden is dark-the vendors will be delighted!

You are right to be concerned , I live on a row of terraced houses and the sun gets my garden all day which is lovely, in summer we are out all day- however- the houses directly opposite me don't get any at all and there gardens just sit there unused for most of the summer.

I wouldn't buy a house now without making sure it has some sun in the day.

we also get the sunshine from morning to early evening its lovely, but my neighbours across dont start to get the sunshine untill abt teatime,and when its dropping cool on our side they have the eveing sunshine,

Thanks

Sorry, but as the sun goes over - the wall will stop your sun. Check the fence and if it is covered in moss, that's a sure sign it gets no sun.

Go again when it is sunny to get the best idea.

If you only get sunshine north west, then that's when it is setting, probably off your garden about 3.30pm.