Job center plus bad experience.

I'm a self employed joiner with no work for the last 2.5 mths so I went to sign on. Because I don't pay full Ni stamp I was means tested, My wife earns @£750/m for part time work. Because of this I don't qualify for any benefit. The guy who dealt with me could have woke up before talking to me yet made the comment " Its not worth you signing on" All the full stamp I had paid for 20 years is not taken into consideraion its the stamp paid in the 2 years prior to a claim that counts????????????

The above aside I insisted in signing on in order that I got an advisor to help me find a full time vacancy, give me the heads up on any appropriate vacancies that came in. Also is it not the fact I am by definition, unemployed, seaking work and also won't show on unemployment figures if I don't sign on

Oh and the bouncers at these officer are something from another planet, planet rude. The worst experiance I have had since falling in a sespit.

You should sign on as you should be entitled to NI credits - unless the rules have changed. My OH was self employed for years and when there was no work he couldn't claim unemployment benefits because I was working. However he was entitled to NI credits.

You should sign on as you should be entitled to NI credits - unless the rules have changed. My OH was self employed for years and when there was no work he couldn't claim unemployment benefits because I was working. However he was entitled to NI credits.

Exactly he did tell me all I could get was NI credits. Its the job adviser who I want to talk too. He could tell me something i don't know. Finding customers is way differant than finding a regular job or "propper job" as my wife calls them. Its not funny.

i got made redundant yesterday and i am dreading having to phone and claim jobseekers, i have done it once before and i dont even have the words to describe my time with them! luckily for me i got a job a few days before my first signing on date and the day i signed on was the day i also signed off!

i got made redundant yesterday and i am dreading having to phone and claim jobseekers, i have done it once before and i dont even have the words to describe my time with them! luckily for me i got a job a few days before my first signing on date and the day i signed on was the day i also signed off!

It's not good, but I work on the basis if dealing with claiming makes you feel dread then you are have self respect and want far better for yourself.

You could always volunteer to be placed onto the work program, some of the places are rather good. Like ours for example. ;-)

All the full stamp I had paid for 20 years is not taken into consideraion its the stamp paid in the 2 years prior to a claim that counts????????????

Only the last 2 years are taken into account so they're right. It still may be worth signing on as you'll get your NI credits paid and these will count towards your state pension. You'll also get an adviser and the chance to go on training courses.

You could always volunteer to be placed onto the work program, some of the places are rather good. Like ours for example. ;-)

What work program do you offer and how could it benefit me.

Edited by Riche

Only when people actually come up against our benefits system do they realise what a struggle it is to get the help they need.

Being on benefits is tough, (some would say it should be.) If you don't have kids or dependants you are basically down to about £70 a week to live on.

Good luck to OP. I hope you get sorted out soon.

i got made redundant yesterday and i am dreading having to phone and claim jobseekers

You'll be told to apply online. [Link]