To All Dog Owners..

You won't see red bins in the countryside, you'll find them in parks.

It's pretty stupid to use a bag and then discard it, in a lot of ways it's worse than just leaving it in the first place.

If I remember correctly, it's only necessary to remove your dog's waste if it's on or within a certain distance of a public footpath and/or within a designated park or green space.

---------- Post added 19-02-2013 at 14:36 ----------

If I'm running (on a foot path), I generally assume that other people will make some space for me. It's a shared space after all, and it's easier to step to one side when walking, than to do that when running.

A dog is also less likely to be concerned about stepping onto the mud, whereas a runner might want to avoid that.

---------- Post added 19-02-2013 at 14:36 ----------

That might work.

£250 seems rather punitive though, are you hoping it would be a deterrent to irresponsible owners, or just to the poor?

Putting off irresponsible owners, of course and financially facilitating a way of clearing our public spaces up. There are plenty of responsible dog owners out there who would probably welcome some sort regulation of dog ownership.

The dog licence didn't work in the past as it was practically unenforceable. With microchipping, as with sheep and cattle, every animal is registered, if it isn't, it is an illegal animal and could be confiscated and the owner fined.

The countryside along with our public spaces are littered with blue bags containing dog excrement discarded by irresponsible dog owners. Red bins, left unemptied by the council, with again bags of it stacked on top of the bins.

Microchipped in 2016,then the introduction of the dog Tax, erm license,probably.

Not to bash or anything, but seriously some people get into a stupid frame of mind when they get a dog and just think they can do as they please. Letting the things jump at people, crapping all over. Barking all day etc.

And guys, just because it is snowing does not mean you don't have to pick it up. There are some seriously disgusting people down lowedges, when the snow cleared you can see turds all over the place.

I don't really know where that sort of human behavior comes from, like car owners that think they can park the thing where ever they want.

And then there's all the garbage and litter in the streets.... but that's another topic

Putting off irresponsible owners, of course and financially facilitating a way of clearing our public spaces up. There are plenty of responsible dog owners out there who would probably welcome some sort regulation of dog ownership.

Probably not the poor dog owners though.

<snip>

If I remember correctly, it's only necessary to remove your dog's waste if it's on or within a certain distance of a public footpath and/or within a designated park or green space.

For the avoidance of any doubt here is a very useful document on Dog Fouiling and the law, produced by "Keep Britain Tidy".

http://kb.keepbritaintidy.org/dogs/publications/guidedog.pdf

Probably not the poor dog owners though.

If a dog owner is that poor they can't afford £250 they really shouldn't be keeping a dog! I'm a big believer in microchipping and with the correct formula could be rolled out to humans too. The ID card would never work, but if every human being in this country was microchipped then the authorities could keep a check on criminal movements, illegal immigrants and the like, crime would decrease dramatically. If taken into custody the authorities would just have to scan you to ascertain your identity and track you down anywhere in the world.

If a dog owner is that poor they can't afford £250 they really shouldn't be keeping a dog! <snip>.

I own a dog, and don't happen to have £250 lying around doing nothing.........

You have to remember that dogs are not humans. There will be times when their animal instincts take over. So yes, dog owners you need to be responsible, but other people - if you don't like dogs you need to be responsible too. Don't get all whiney if my dog wants to say hello. They can sense your nervousness. Just stand still and wait for the owner to come and collect - the chances of the dog wanting to bite you are slim.

However if you start running around hysterically the dog is going to react to that, and that's when it might get a bit excited and nip you.

As I've just posted - yes people can't tell, but the chances are it will be a friendly dog that's just pleased to see you. If you start running around wailing the dog will think you are playing.

And you should remember that children are not adults- it's in their nature to panic when a large animal comes bounding towards them, and, if their panic freaks the dog out so it nips/bites the child, then the animal will bear full responsibility and be liable to be put down.

The tragedy being, of course, that the true responsibility is not the dogs, but their irresponsible owner who thought it OK to let their untrained (if you can't call it back, it ain't trained) dog off the lease.

---------- Post added 19-02-2013 at 16:01 ----------

I have a large dog who wouldnt hurt a fly BUT he's 3 and still very giddy, specially round children, and just wants to join in everything lol, he has a powerful wagging tail which is face hight to a small child and could really hurt. So despite my confidence he wouldnt hurt or attack, when I have him off the lead at Rivelin for example, if I see or hear people coming our way, I always put him on it. Other people dont know he wont hurt them and it can be very scary for them if a huge bounding dog comes head on!

So have a little thought for the people who dont know your dog as well as you do and who maybe terrified at the mere sight of one of lead xx

Here's a responsible dog owner. If all dog owners thought like this, people would be much less bothered by dogs.

I own a dog, and don't happen to have £250 lying around doing nothing.........

Surely you a contingency plan or insurance to finance treatment if the animal gets ill and when it has its yearly injections ... just build it into that?

---------- Post added 19-02-2013 at 15:04 ----------

And you should remember that children are not adults- it's in their nature to panic when a large animal comes bounding towards them, and, if their panic freaks the dog out so it nips/bites the child, then the animal will bear full responsibility and be liable to be put down.

The tragedy being, of course, that the true responsibility is not the dogs, but their irresponsible owner who thought it OK to let their untrained (if you can't call it back, it ain't trained) dog off the lease.

---------- Post added 19-02-2013 at 16:01 ----------

Here's a responsible dog owner. If all dog owners thought like this, people would be much less bothered by dogs.

Any animal by its very nature is unpredictable and can be spooked at the drop of a hat! You can't guarantee that a dog or any other animal will not attack! All dogs should be on a leash in a public place!

Dogs are a big committment ours has been on £80 a months worth of medication for the last few years and is now needing a lot more care as she is 15 years old.

Holidays abroad for my wife are out [not all bad then ;);)] because no one else would be able to give her the attention she needs it really is a labour of love.

Our dog needs letting out on the garden every two hours a day twenty four hours a day seven days a week.

The vet the other day said she has now got LFE syndrome.......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

LIVE FOR EVER.:o:hihi:

IT LOOKS LIKE I WILL BE HOLIDAYING ALONE FOR QUITE SOME TIME.

Surely you a contingency plan or insurance to finance treatment if the animal gets ill and when it has its yearly injections ... just build it into that?

---------- Post added 19-02-2013 at 15:04 ----------

Any animal by its very nature is unpredictable and can be spooked at the drop of a hat! You can't guarantee that a dog or any other animal will not attack! All dogs should be on a leash in a public place!

Ah, now you show us how you really feel.

I completely disagree with your conclusion, although I agree with the premise that animals (like people) are somewhat unpredictable.

How does your dog get any exercise then?

I just took my parents dog on the field, I checked there were no other dogs or people and walked down with him off the lead.

He found someone else walking their dog in the only spot I couldn't see, and I had to walk over and shove him back up the field (one shove, then he got the idea). No harm caused.

I could have walked him down on the lead, but that would have been pretty pointless unless I fancied running a kilometre with him instead of walking two hundred metres.

Dogs are exercised by walking on a lead. If the owner gets the dog trained so it always comes back when called, then it's appropriate to let it off the lead.

Secondly, the most well trained dog might still have a headstrong moment and ignore the recall command.

Then it's not trained! A properly trained dog always comes back when called. Admittedly, some dogs can't be trained to do that, either because, as is common, uneducated owners get a puppy and leave it way too late before they realise it's out of control, or, it's one of those breeds that have been bred to chase anything that moves.

Still, it's not a problem- if the dog can't be controlled (called back), exercise it on a lease.

---------- Post added 19-02-2013 at 16:06 ----------

And so the dog owner who you were telling never to let his dog (puppy actually) off the lead. How do you propose that his dog gets exercise?

Put it on a lead- take it for a walk.