Who Is Going To Look After Us When We Are Old?

Right, in simple terms....

If you have spent your money, you have paid VAT (or other taxes) on almost everything spend

If you have saved your money you have not.

So the government will take it from you anyway one way or another.

It's not rocket science, the bottom line is that they WILL have it, so why make it easy for them?

The bottom line is this.

If its supposed to be fair and equal for all taxpayer citizens there should be absolutely no distinction like this.

Essential treatment on the NHS is not means tested so why the hell should care home fees.

If you break your leg and need an operation they dont check if you own a house first and send you a bill for the treatment. so why they hell should elderly care be any different.

If you have assets - that's your issue not the government.

It should work both ways otherwise, as others have said, why the hell would anyone bother in future we might as well all p**s our money up the wall all our lives cos they will just take it off you anway.

Its a disgrace.

The bottom line is this.

If its supposed to be fair and equal for all taxpayer citizens there should be absolutely no distinction like this.

Essential treatment on the NHS is not means tested so why the hell should care home fees.

If you break your leg and need an operation they dont check if you own a house first and send you a bill for the treatment. so why they hell should elderly care be any different.

It should work both ways otherwise, as others have said, why the hell would anyone bother in future we might as well all p**s our money up the wall all our lives cos they will just take it off you anway.

Its a disgrace.

What you forget is that if we all **** our money up aginst the wall, the govt are getting about 80% in tax & duty of what we pay to do that, so why not?

It's not like beer and fags are free is it?

SO lets not go there eh?

I was thinking more of lots of holidays, cruises, maybe a couple of foreign properties and then when the inevitable time comes just pop back for my free healthcare a penniless pensioner and sponge off the state till I die.

That's what the government is currently making me feel like doing.

Nuts to spending money here. We get ripped off and overtaxed on everything anyway. Time to invest and buy abroad.

Dubai, Monaco, St Helena or Singapore seem nice this time of year. That might be a good place to spend my money.

Edited by ECCOnoob

Not fair. Of course there has to be provision for those who couldn't save for their future, but there are lots of instances where people on modest incomes tried their best to plan for retirement and are subsequently penalised for their thrift.

My OH and I have discussed this. Whichever one of us is left in our dotage is going to sell up and rent a flat, probably in a housing association sheltered complex. We won't be claiming benefits, because the capital will pay the rent, and by living in a sheltered complex the necessity for a care home will be lessened. We can then dispose of some of the proceeds of our house (our only asset) by gifting it to our family a bit at a time. ;)

Except that such accommodation is becoming more and more expensive as it moves away from social housing into the private sector. The limited care that you would get there is becoming much more expensive too.

I personally know of such a sheltered housing complex (gradually becoming private) where the "inmates" are considering taking legal action because their fees have been raised dramatically and their services cut at the same time.

The bottom line is this.

Its a disgrace.

Actually they (kinda) do, If you have a no-fault traffic accident (eg Like I did, injured myself in a NO FAULT motorcycle accident (slid on black Ice and hurt my leg, then needed treatment) I got a bill which was remarkable £5 less than the excess on my policy..........

But I can live with that

We'll be ok, afterall, that's why we pay National Insurance, Income Tax, VAT, Council Tax etc...........

I can't see what the problem is, afterall the Government wants what's best for us, that's why we pay all these things.

What? The Tories reckon that we have no money - but spend SIX BILLION over spend on defense. What bloody defence?

What? The Tories reckon that we have no money - but spend SIX BILLION over spend on defense. What bloody defence?

Don't worry man..your fags and Stella are safe.

I was thinking more of lots of holidays, cruises, maybe a couple of foreign properties and then when the inevitable time comes just pop back for my free healthcare a penniless pensioner and sponge off the state till I die.

That's what the government is currently making me feel like doing.

Nuts to spending money here. We get ripped off and overtaxed on everything anyway. Time to invest and buy abroad.

Dubai, Monaco, St Helena or Singapore seem nice this time of year. That might be a good place to spend my money.

In reality, (my bold) isn't commonplace, however I don't deny it happens.

Most people just pay their taxes live their life, put up with their lot and get on with living.

All they want is some security, however small for their input be it taxes or insurances.

Lets face it, I'm an average bloke, Each week I pay 35(ish) percent of my wages on NI & Income tax, then pay 20% of what I have left on almost anything I buy, then I pay fuel duty to get to work to do it, If I want a drink or a smoke, I pay yet another extortionate amount of duty for the privilage.

Yes I could stop smoking and drinking and sit around hoping for an end to this .

Well I don't see why I should because I pay for what I do manyfold.

People who don't will pay anyway in the end................

Edited by Crosser

In reality, (my bold) isn't commonplace, however I don't deny it happens.

Most people just pay their taxes live their life, put up with their lot and get on with living.

All they want is some security, however small for their input be it taxes or insurances.

Lets face it, I'm an average bloke, Each week I pay 35(ish) percent of my wages on NI & Income tax, then pay 20% of what I have left on almost anything I buy, then I pay fuel duty to get to work to do it, If I want a drink or a smoke, I pay yet another extortionate amount of duty for the privilage.

Yes I could stop smoking and drinking and sit around hoping for an end to this .

Well I don't see why I should because I pay for what I do manyfold.

People who don't will pay anyway in the end................

The ones who do not pay their fair share are actually the ones who are attempting to apply stringent rules upon everyone else.

I did notice a signature on here somewhere that sort of tells it how it is............

A Banker, a Sun reader and a disabled person are given a plate with 12 bars of chocolate on it. The Banker eats 11 bars then turns round to the Sun reader and says "that scrounger wants to eat your bar." ....that about sums up where we are at.:(

Ok I understand that. We all pay taxes.

But if this is supposed to be about fairness and equality of government provision answer me this.

Bear in mind we are ALL taxed throughout our lives even on private pensions.

Why is it person A who has been thrifty, not got into debt, maybe has invested in some property and/or paid off their mortgage who suddenly is requiring care is FORCED to sell up to pay for their fees until all the said assets have run out.

When person B who has been spend spend spend, never saved anything, maybe run up a few debts, never bothered to buy property and be a council tenant who also requires care then pays nothing gets all their care for free?

Same care home. Same service. Same treatment.

One person forced to pay out of their assets. One person not.

Fair??

no we all do not pay tax only employed paying p.a.y.e pay the correct amount of tax on earnings

Do you really think you might see past 65 now?

Erm... isn't the whole pensions crisis being triggered (in part) by the fact that people are living longer?

Rising life expectancy heaps further pressure on Britain's pensions crisis

In the days when many people didn't live much past retirement age, pensions were less of a problem:

When an early form of a state pension was introduced in 1906, male life expectancy was 48; it had risen to 62 by the creation of the modern welfare state after the Second World War, underlining the vast extension in years when pensioners need to rely on savings or state help.

Now men aged 65 last year can expect to live on average a further 18 years [LINK].