XXXL dog coat needed

I have a ridiculously large (but extremely handsome:love:), long haired GSD. When it rains, it takes all day for him to dry and I thought it might be a good idea to get him a lightweight waterproof jacket.

The longest one I can find is 30" (75cm) and Arthur measures 36" (92cm) from collar to the bottom of his back.:o

Any suggestions where I can get him one to fit would be appreciated.

Can I suggest that you try him out wearing something that you cobble together as a tester first before going to the expense of buying him a coat? It's very likely that he's just going to be so hot wearing a coat that getting wet and then taking time to dry out is preferable- Molly only does about 5 minutes of running about before she lies down and refuses to get up again if we put her in anything insulating.

Big long haired dogs overheat really very quickly if they lose the airflow through their coat.

I'll ask for recommendations on the GSDR facebook page for you as there must be other owners in a similar position.

---------- Post added 18-02-2013 at 21:08 ----------

Oooh- just found one on this page that's up to a 36. Is waxed cotton OK for you?

http://www.bigdogworld.co.uk/dog-coats-39-c.asp

Thanks Medusa. I must admit that overheating is a bit of a worry. Arthur loves winter and struggles in the summer so I was a little concerned that a coat would make him too hot. The wax jacket seems perfect but as you say, £34 could be an expensive mistake. I would appreciate advice from 'seasoned' GSD owners, thank you.

Is the problem that he gets water all over the house when he comes in? Our long haired dog is an outside dog, we have kennels and a run but we have an outbuilding set up like a 'house' where we spend time chilling with the dogs. The outside of the dog fur gets wet but not the undercoat so the dog doesn't feel it. Our dogs can run in and out of the outbuilding and it doesn't matter if they get it wet and dirty but they couldn't come in the house like this. If the dog has a proper undercoat of fur it shouldn't matter if it gets wet on the top fur. Hope you can follow my explanation.

I have a friend that makes dog fleeces so she would be able to make any material into a thin dog coat if you decided a waterproof coat was the way to go.

My Molly is a long haired GSD and I think it would have to be colder than we have in this country to put her in a coat. She LOVES being out in the snow (even though it makes her gammy paw hurt) and likes nothing better than a good long snow bath in fresh deep snow- she looks like she's making doggy snow angels :)

I did try putting her in a coat but not only did she overheat, but the reason she doesn't like the rain is that it goes down her ears, so a coat did nothing to stop that.

As I say to many people, it's astonishing how much mud one long haired dog can absorb ;) but it's definitely got better since we taught her to a) shake on command and b) wait outside until she can go straight upstairs into the bath and get hosed down so at least the water she's carrying around in her coat is clean, then all she has to do is get a bath towel thrown over her and have a quick rub down.

EDIT- Equafleece would also do a coat large enough (in fact they do one that's too big!) but it would be over £40 for one of those.

---------- Post added 19-02-2013 at 00:08 ----------

An alternative would be to allow him to get wet and then put him in a drying coat for when he gets back or when you put him in the car, like this.

http://www.muddypaws.co.uk/trover-bone-dry-ultimate-drying-coat

Lots of different brands of that sort of thing are made.

It sounds to me like too much washing of the dog is removing the protective oils from her coat. Our log haired GSD is a reall dirty scruff, she loves to roll and splash in muddy water, even when its really cold. If I feel her fur its only the very top bit that gets wet, the short under fur is bone dry. Its meant to be like that to keep them warm and dry.

We only bath ours two or three times a year if they smell too doggy or are starting to get matted when moulting.

Putting her in the car to dry is a good idea. My friend has house dogs but puts her dogs in an outside kennel until they are dry and the mud has fallen off.

I got one of the thermal ones of these for our boy as he comes to work with me and gets a bit chilly outside in the kennels. They are brilliant and they send you a fabric prototype for free first so you know it is a perfect fit. Expensive if you're not sure you will use it though. Very good company though and they do do thin, waterproof ones. http://www.gillrugs.com/contents/en-uk/d45_Waterproof_Dog_Coats.html

Ive got a coat for my very large GSD, its not very thick but waterproof, I must admit he only wears it if its pouring down, and we are only walking, it does keep him dry, and he's happy to wear it, then he just needs a quick rub around his head when we get home, he does live in the house, so I find it very useful.

I wouldn't put him in a coat that was to keep him warm, his own coat is thick enough for that

I will try and find where I bought it from but it wasn't cheap.

---------- Post added 19-02-2013 at 10:27 ----------

Here you are, its called a rainproof, waterproof Animate dog coat, they do padded and unpadded, my one is unpadded,

it was on ebay and the seller is the_evanses

I do think it was about £40 for the largest, but its perfect if that's what you need.

Why don't you get a dog dryer ,I got one off e bay for £40. None of mine will wear coats ,well they will wear them but they won't move in them:)

It sounds to me like too much washing of the dog is removing the protective oils from her coat. Our log haired GSD is a reall dirty scruff, she loves to roll and splash in muddy water, even when its really cold. If I feel her fur its only the very top bit that gets wet, the short under fur is bone dry. Its meant to be like that to keep them warm and dry.

We only bath ours two or three times a year if they smell too doggy or are starting to get matted when moulting.

Putting her in the car to dry is a good idea. My friend has house dogs but puts her dogs in an outside kennel until they are dry and the mud has fallen off.

In our case, the only place I use any detergent is on her undercarriage. As far as I'm concerned, the mud is water based and therefore will rinse out of her coat without any shampoo and just with a decent blast of warm water from the shower head.

In the 5 and a half years we've had her she's been bathed with shampoo (I think) 3 times, but gets rinsed most weeks and has a quick wash of her undercarriage every few weeks. In good weather the rinsing takes the form of a swim in the river, which has the added advantage of being lovely soft water that conditions her coat and leaves it easier to comb.

Unfortunately my house is too small to have anywhere that she can be until she's dry. I don't even have space for a doormat to clean your feet on, so a quick rinse then lying on her bed on a towel has to suffice.