My Dad took me to Bardwells when I was about 6-7 it took two bus rides from Darnall. I remember the first piece of 'junk' I got then, an old vacuum display calculator from their floor scrapings. It left me fascinated with electronics from then on leading to a Career. I have grown up with Bardwells since then and remember us going there at school lunchtimes from Rowlinson to get bits for projects (you could just make it on the 75 there and back) Reg was so funny. I actually cried this morning when I heard from my sister that they have closed.

So sad. RIP Bardies.

Such a shame, always loved it in there, like a little gold mine.

Went in their Sellars Street shop often.

Bought a Morse tapping key and they had some glass prisms, apparently ex navy stock out of submarines. We walked around looking through the world at different angles with the colours of the rainbow around everything.

The long term effect of being able to buy on line could be more than disastrous for small businesses,

Anyone remember the muted murmur of oh for frig sake when someone at the front of the queue put something on the counter saying now I want some advice on this I don't know if I should use 3 ohms capacitors or 5 what do you think ? :D

Anyone remember the mechanical bomb sight computers from Bardwell's Sellars Street days (around 1966)? They cost £5 & consisted of a load of brass cogwheels held in a green tubular frame. I was very tempted to buy one, but could think of no earthly use for it.

Anyone remember the muted murmur of oh for frig sake when someone at the front of the queue put something on the counter saying now I want some advice on this I don't know if I should use 3 ohms capacitors or 5 what do you think ? :D

Don't think many of bardwells customers would think capacitance is measured in ohms ,but yes they were always ready to advise on component choice sometimes another customer in the queue would join in the conversation soon the whole shop would be discussing the project,bit like a club.I started buying from them in the early sixties from sellers st.building all manner of stuff from crystal sets to valve amps and mixing desks,all the bits were on the counter or in little cubby holes with stickers on .That shop was part of my childhood and will be sadly missed,it even had its own smell.

Sorry to start off a new thread on this sad news.

Bardwells have been around so long that I really think the founder and the rest of the crew deserve more than just a few replies to a thread that was started in 2013.

Having used this shop for more than 30 years , I got to know a lot of them from their personal service.

Service is some thing you are lucky to get this day and age.

We got that from this shop right till the end.

Remember your local shops - you do not get this service from the big chains.

P.S. for the staff -- Thanks for all the Jars of Coffee you bought from my stall at the car boot sales in the past guys !!!!!!!!!

I will start this from another post. Can we have this all merged please?

My Dad took me to Bardwells when I was about 6-7 it took two bus rides from Darnall. I remember the first piece of 'junk' I got then, an old vacuum display calculator from their floor scrapings. It left me fascinated with electronics from then on leading to a Career. I have grown up with Bardwells since then and remember us going there at school lunchtimes from Rowlinson to get bits for projects (you could just make it on the 75 there and back) Reg was so funny. I actually cried this morning when I heard from my sister that they have closed.

So sad. RIP Bardies.

Gutted. Absolutely gutted to hear this. Called down on Friday to find it shut. Damn.

Do wish them all the best though. Fantastic memories. I remember sending the brother-in-law down for a diplovalve and a contribulator. :hihi:

So gonna miss the guys and this place. Bardwells was an institution.

I remember first getting in to electronics as a young'un and I used to be in there every night and am still grateful for all the advice they gave me.

I also still have the motorised surf board that I won in their raffle! Only time I've ever won anything!:hihi:

The guys were legends. :D Wish I'd kept all the receipts now with all the diagrams on they used to do for me. If they didn't have it, they would tell you were to get it - a long time before that guy on Miracle on 34th Street!;)

Edited by Lex Luthor

So sad to see hear this.

Bought my first proper computer from there an Intel DX2, 8MB RAM and 14" monitor which was delivered free. Went there loads of times to buy components and PCB's for making stuff.

After an absence of 10 years or so went in last year for some resistors and was greeted with a big beaming smile of recognition and "bloody hell, not see you for years." It was fun watching newcomers trying to pick up some coins that had been stuck on the floor near the counter with superglue!

I hope you enjoy this retirement and thanks for the memories.