Just seen the news in The Star. no wonder the phone was not being answered yesterday.

Hard to take but home electronics hobbyists have been extinguished by cheap chinese ready made stuff and a lack of electronics tuition in schools and colleges. there is a very tough market for things like domestic electrical items, laptops and disco stuff. and then there's the internet. I guess Bardwells will continue as an online business whilst it can.

In case they are reading this, I am JUNKERS.

UPDATE - GONE FROM THE WEB TOO. SORRY FOR THE NEWS.

Edited by muckymurphy
update

Very sad to see the closing. I was first taken to Bardwells in the early 70s by a school teacher to buy components for a project i was building, little did i know then that just a few years later, as a sales rep i would be supplying them with the same products. Hope all the guys are ok, from 'Condor' & 'Pinnacle'!.

That's sad, this is on their website

"Bardwells is now CLOSED

"It is with heavy hearts that after more than 70 years in business, serving the good people of Sheffield and the surrounding areas with some of the best electronic components available, we must now close Bardwells.

"We are no longer open for business, either on the Web or from our shop on Abbeydale Road.

"Thank you for your valued custom over the years, and we wish you all the best.

"Chris & Lorraine Bardwell 30/06/17"

Been looking at some components just this morning that I need and Bardies would have been perfect, bummer.

I also started going to Bardwells in the mid 60's. I'd be about 11 at the time, our telly blew up, and my dad asked someone at work what could be wrong, and he pointed me to the main smoothing capacitor and told me where to find Bardwells. One new cap later (soldered in with a soldering iron heated up in the coal fire) and we had a working TV again!

I still remember the sign which went something like "Please do not ask for credit as a smack in the nose often offends" at the counter.

If I remember correctly the lad in the chair was the only non relative working there, and had them done for constructive dismissal - good old Reg was always a joker.

I still remember the sign which went something like "Please do not ask for credit as a smack in the nose often offends" at the counter.

Also: "Shoplifting can make your nose bleed" :)

Very sad Bardwells closed

Have been going there for years!