Don't think many of bardwells customers would think capacitance is measured in ohms

You can measure the ESR of a capacitor in ohms, especially an electrolytic from a Power Supply to see if it has gone faulty. !

Absolutely gutted. Been going there for 40 years from whence I was a nipper. It was my wonder emporium and inspired me into a career in electronics and I.T. It's a sad loss to Sheffield.

Edited by axeman

Gutted. Absolutely gutted to hear this. Called down on Friday to find it shut. Damn.

Do wish them all the best though. Fantastic memories. I remember sending the brother-in-law down for a diplovalve and a contribulator. :hihi:

So gonna miss the guys and this place. Bardwells was an institution.

I remember first getting in to electronics as a young'un and I used to be in there every night and am still grateful for all the advice they gave me.

I also still have the motorised surf board that I won in their raffle! Only time I've ever won anything!:hihi:

The guys were legends. :D Wish I'd kept all the receipts now with all the diagrams on they used to do for me. If they didn't have it, they would tell you were to get it - a long time before that guy on Miracle on 34th Street!;)

Diplovalve and Contribulator :hihi::hihi::hihi: Mr luther I don't normally do smilies but on this occasion , I actually laughed out loud , well done :thumbsup:

I'd just like to add to this thread as well and say I thought it was definitely a Sheffield Institution that place. Amazing selection of things and good old-fashioned customer service and advice. Sorry to hear it's closed and it would be interesting to know whether it shut because they weren't making it pay, or whether they'd just had enough? Whatever the reason, I wish them a long and happy retirement, or success in whatever else they plan to do.

It will be missed for sure. There are few such shops around these-days.

Another one of my favourites, still trading, is Shaw's Ironmongers, on Duchess Road. That's another great Sheffield institution imo.

........I first started going to Bardwells on Sellar St in the early 60s when Norman Bardwell was in attendance.I loved that shop with all it's ex WD stuff propped up outside, ie No 19 radio sets, R1155 radio sets from Lancaster Bombers Etc Ect such a lovely unique smell to everything and all made to Rolls Royce quality but for sale for a few bob mostly.

How to get some of the stuff working once you got it home lord only knows.I was still a customer up to a few months ago.

A Real Sheffield institution for it's many fans!!!

Better hurry to Bardwells they are closing down i believe

You have got to be kidding, who's told you that?

Never? Can't be, they have been going for 70 years, a Sheffield Institution. They were only on the Star website the other day!

Already closed,mate. What a shocker, eh? It's on their Facebook page.

Sad to hear.

Those of us who were into CB radio in the 80's couldn't get by without Bardwells. Absolutely everything you needed and more and the prices were always cheap. The guys knew their stuff and were always helpful and cheerful.

It always struck me as a nice place to work.

I'm not sure if my memory is playing tricks on me, but I think I remember something about an incident where a junior member of Bardwell's staff was tied up to chair by a senior member of staff; for what reason I cannot remember. I reckon it was in the

1980s & the story somehow found its way into the national press.