Who lived on Clay St Attercliffe

Can anyone remember people from Clay St the odd side( numbers I mean) as I can remember there were Pauline and Winnie Grain a few faces I can't recall names also until the cobblers shop on the corner of Brompton Rd. Further down was Joe Emmens Garage the Chapel a few houses then on the corner of Ebury St, Bertha Adams Family grocers shop and a bit further down ,I think it was the Evans shop on the corner of Swallow St. Further down again lived a young girl who had callipers on one leg and then the Houlston followed by the Higgins, Unwins and finally the Woodhouses. On the Even side once again faces I recall but no names but just before Brompton Rd the Standrings mainly Norma and a family of Salvation Armyists which again I can't rcall. On the other side of Brompton Rd I think it was the Swann Family with I think Ernest and Robert and then lower was the Coe famiy,Tony Holmes the Meynell Family and Mick Midlane. After Swallow St the Fishes the Cartrights the Dorans the Haighs the Stewart and then the shop on the corner of Liverpool St the O'Connors and then down at the end the Stewarts and the Stocks

Didn't live on Clay St but know a few of the families to which you refer. I left Atterclife in 1962

My wife's Aunt lived at number 32 Clay Street it was a sweet shop on the corner.Their surname was Anderson they had one daughter Patricia Mary she went to Maltby Street school.The Standring family lived in the same yard and also had a daughter same age as Pat.Many happy hours spent at Christmas time standing at the top of the entry playing a forfiet shouting Green Un's for sale all the family joining in, my wife's family coming from Ardmore Street to join in the family festivities

My wife's Aunt lived at number 32 Clay Street it was a sweet shop on the corner.Their surname was Anderson they had one daughter Patricia Mary she went to Maltby Street school.The Standring family lived in the same yard and also had a daughter same age as Pat.Many happy hours spent at Christmas time standing at the top of the entry playing a forfiet shouting Green Un's for sale all the family joining in, my wife's family coming from Ardmore Street to join in the family festivities

Thats right I do remember Pat Anderson but she was a couple of years older than me.

There are a list of who lived on Clay Street in 63/64 (and surrounding streets) in Ann Sapcote's 'My Family & Other Morticians - & other stories from off The Common' ISBN 9780956364951 - I was born on Liverpool Street before moving onto Swallow Street, my Dad was born on Clay Street number 105. The book by Ann is a sequel to 'Once Around The Lump' both fascinating reads .......

I remember Pauline and Winifred Grainger, Betty Storer as well as a few of the other names around that area that you mentioned. The corner shop opposite Emmens....Mrs Holroyd and a few down towards Liverpool Street end. I think you were in my class too Malc at Maltby Street.

Can anyone remember people from Clay St the odd side( numbers I mean) as I can remember there were Pauline and Winnie Grain a few faces I can't recall names also until the cobblers shop on the corner of Brompton Rd. Further down was Joe Emmens Garage the Chapel a few houses then on the corner of Ebury St, Bertha Adams Family grocers shop and a bit further down ,I think it was the Evans shop on the corner of Swallow St. Further down again lived a young girl who had callipers on one leg and then the Houlston followed by the Higgins, Unwins and finally the Woodhouses. On the Even side once again faces I recall but no names but just before Brompton Rd the Standrings mainly Norma and a family of Salvation Armyists which again I can't rcall. On the other side of Brompton Rd I think it was the Swann Family with I think Ernest and Robert and then lower was the Coe famiy,Tony Holmes the Meynell Family and Mick Midlane. After Swallow St the Fishes the Cartrights the Dorans the Haighs the Stewart and then the shop on the corner of Liverpool St the O'Connors and then down at the end the Stewarts and the Stocks

Just wondered if you were related to Mr Stewart (first aider at Sandersons) who lived over our wall in Liverpool St, a lovely gentleman who assisted my mum. She had banged her leg at home & when he saw her hobbling suspected a fracture, treat it at his house & said she would have no further trouble from it (and she didn't). Oh to have those times back when folk looked out for each other & were so neighbourly ...... also Alwyn who had a son David? Gawd that's got the old grey matter going .......

I remember Pauline and Winifred Grainger, Betty Storer as well as a few of the other names around that area that you mentioned. The corner shop opposite Emmens....Mrs Holroyd and a few down towards Liverpool Street end. I think you were in my class too Malc at Maltby Street.

Too right Joan I remember you well .

Edited by macstewart
missprint

hi joani

my uncle harry storer [nut] lived on clay street for many years betty storer was my niece but have not seen them since i left carbrook in 1962 would like to get in touch with them after all these years regards aj

my wife Maureen lived at 19 Clay Street and remembers Maggie and Mary Andrews at No. 17. One used crutches and the other one worked for Bassets and she would reward us with a handful of misshapes for errand duties. At 21 lived the Wheeldan family, after them Mary and Tom Vickers with their elderly father lived at the cobblers shop. Other names I can remember are from Maltby Street school, Terry Wadsworth, Tommy Smith, Joe Smith, Sadie Peaker (my pal), Doreen Gelsthorpe, Pauline Travis, Brian Platts (panto fame), Brian Beumont, Ronald Dennison, Frank Smith, twins Rita and Georgie Shemeld and

Ann Whitiker....fond memories

my wife Maureen lived at 19 Clay Street and remembers Maggie and Mary Andrews at No. 17. One used crutches and the other one worked for Bassets and she would reward us with a handful of misshapes for errand duties. At 21 lived the Wheeldan family, after them Mary and Tom Vickers with their elderly father lived at the cobblers shop. Other names I can remember are from Maltby Street school, Terry Wadsworth, Tommy Smith, Joe Smith, Sadie Peaker (my pal), Doreen Gelsthorpe, Pauline Travis, Brian Platts (panto fame), Brian Beumont, Ronald Dennison, Frank Smith, twins Rita and Georgie Shemeld and

Ann Whitiker....fond memories

All those lads were in the year above but we were all together in their last year at school.

---------- Post added 25-02-2013 at 13:24 ----------

Just wondered if you were related to Mr Stewart (first aider at Sandersons) who lived over our wall in Liverpool St, a lovely gentleman who assisted my mum. She had banged her leg at home & when he saw her hobbling suspected a fracture, treat it at his house & said she would have no further trouble from it (and she didn't). Oh to have those times back when folk looked out for each other & were so neighbourly ...... also Alwyn who had a son David? Gawd that's got the old grey matter going .......

Thats right he was my Dad and he did a lot to help local people.

i lived at no 60 clay street,does anyone remember the mitchell family,,,we lived there,from 1960 to 1971,,,,