Please, please protect your pet from Xylitol!

So sorry for your loss. (Big hug). What about having another tab/page and including another list of 'food' items that could kill dogs? It's such a good thing you are doing to educate people via the website.

My neighbour wasn't impressed when I was annoyed at her for feeding our dog sweets. Luckily for us the dog spat them out because he has never been fed anything other than dog food. It could quite easily have been our dog that ended his life this way.

Your neighbour no doubt doesn't realise that she's being cruel to animals giving them things like that, regardless of the potential for xylitol! It reminds me of when my son was very young and the postman constantly gave him sweets. I was quite strict with my son about sweet stuff and, in the end, resorted to telling the postie that my boy was diabetic (which he wasn't)... and the postie carried on giving him sweets!

I appreciate what you say about another tab on the Project Eddy site for other poisonous foods but there's no space left for any more tabs and, to be honest, we have so much to do regarding the xylitol issue as it is. It's a good idea though. Maybe someone should start a sticky on here.

When I looked into what foods should not be fed to dogs, I was suprised at what was listed. I knew about chocolate, but didn't know that Xylitol was so lethal. There's some fruit & veggies that are harmful, too. eg Raisens, grapes & onions are all no no's. It's worth checking out. Just google 'foods harmful/poisonous to dogs.'

You're right, Spats, there are quite a few foodstuffs that our pooches really shouldn't have. Xylitol must be up there as one of the most toxic though because it can kill a dog in as little as 20 minutes... depending on size, age and general health of the dog, of course.

I already knew it was a problem when my 2 year old brought me some she'd found on the doormat in the form of a Gaviscon taste tester sent by Nectar

I was absolutely furious. I don't give my child 'tooth kind' artificial sweetener laden junk, and I don't get on with aspartame, so we don't usually have to worry about what the dog might pick up off the floor, as rubbish like that usually doesn't get into the house

I had a problem with sorbitol in toothpaste making me ill when I was pregnant. I could only use arm and hammer's original baking soda toothpaste, and it was mysteriously difficult to come by!

That's dreadful, Strix... fancy a company sending medicines through the post. Brainless!

As far as I'm aware sorbitol is ok for dogs, i.e. it's not toxic.

Oh, they got quite snotty about it only being a taste sample, with 'no active ingredients', and could I get it through the thick skull of the manager who called me back that xylitol is a poison, and is listed as being present in the sample?

Unbelievable that they got snotty with you... when they're the ones that did something stupid! Sometimes you despair of people's behaviour, don't you?

I have my suspicions that he was actually from their legal department ;)

I have my suspicions that he was actually from their legal department ;)

Hahaha, that would be why he went on the offensive then, i.e. use a snotty tone in the hope that you'd back off.