Sunday Morning Fishing

did anyone fish the don this weekend with it being the last weekend of the river coarse season? i was determined to get a few hours in come what may. to be honest, the weather wasn't as bad as forecast with even a few glimpses of sunshine.

I had it in mind to go, but when I saw the forecast I thought should really see my mum!

Like you say it wasn't as bad as they made out. (always the case when you don't go!)

I had it in mind to go, but when I saw the forecast I thought should really see my mum!

Like you say it wasn't as bad as they made out. (always the case when you don't go!)

i went on the don had my best session ever so far:) did a few streches had 17 fish just trotting worm on float 6 grayling rest trout. my hands still warming up :hihi::cool::cool::cool::cool:

wow, great day! the humble worm can be a killer! nice one.

---------- Post added 13-03-2013 at 20:48 ----------

Anyone making plans for fishing this weekend?

Weather not looking great, is it? I was planning a canal excursion but I'm drinking with some pals on Saturday night, so thinking I might give it a miss & nurse a well deserved hang over!

Itching to get waterside though, I haven't been for nearly 3weeks!!

Kept looking at the Don all the last week running up to the end of the season, on the last day it looked mint so got done early and headed down to salmon pastures. Had a good 3 hours, had between 30-40 fish in total, trout and grayling. Lost one animal (never saw it), and lost a cracking perch at the net, was about 2 1/2lb at a guess. Fished the stick float and maggot and bank walked. There was 3 other guys on there all ledgereing of the baskets but they had only about 5-6 each on average. The only way is stick on there if you want a good catch and don't mind walking.

Kept looking at the Don all the last week running up to the end of the season, on the last day it looked mint so got done early and headed down to salmon pastures. Had a good 3 hours, had between 30-40 fish in total, trout and grayling. Lost one animal (never saw it), and lost a cracking perch at the net, was about 2 1/2lb at a guess. Fished the stick float and maggot and bank walked. There was 3 other guys on there all ledgereing of the baskets but they had only about 5-6 each on average. The only way is stick on there if you want a good catch and don't mind walking.

totally agree mate, staying mobile is the best way to tackle the river. I would also recommend wading as only a small portion of river can be accessed on the bank. you would be suprised how different the river looks from stood in the river!!!

theirs nothing more rewarding than just walking down the river looking for new runs and glides some of which will have hardly ever been fished before.

i also love the stick float and im gonna get myself some thigh waders or summat

What size waders do you think you'll need mate?

What size waders do you think you'll need mate?

not sure at all pal dont know how they work.. do they go on shoe size?? if so ten..

they generally go in shoe sizes mate, i generally get a size bigger so i can put a thick pair of socks on underneath aswell, thigh waders are ok but chest waders are much better and worth spending the little extra cash. i have waded out to waist high to get to certain swims and theres nothing worse than getting a wader full of water.

I've got 2 or 3 pairs of waders from my Dads stuff which you're welcome to big don. They'll be a size 10 I think. They're thigh waders I think.

I'll pm you.

One of my dads friends fell over in the river at chats worth wearing waders. He got out but was pretty poorly after and ended up with pneumonia. Take care.

I've got 2 or 3 pairs of waders from my Dads stuff which you're welcome to big don. They'll be a size 10 I think. They're thigh waders I think.

I'll pm you.

One of my dads friends fell over in the river at chats worth wearing waders. He got out but was pretty poorly after and ended up with pneumonia. Take care.

thanks jon that would be great

I'm wondering if to go to the canal Sunday morning.

Weather is getting slightly better, but still the nights are so cold. Any one else been over the last few weeks?

I'll probably give it a go, but i'd like realistic expectations, then I know if I should take a packed lunch or not haha!

---------- Post added 05-04-2013 at 22:56 ----------

there's been a few canal excursions where I've got back before the wife is up lol