Stop the bedroom tax - petition

For the time being, Redrobbo! Only for the time being. I read that the legislation will soon be changed (again!!) so that the couple will not be entitled until both are over pension age.

That's mad! My parents are in a 2 bed sheltered accommodation flat. My dad is pension age, and retired, my mum is a few years behind him (I.e not at pension age yet) but is his carer as he has epilepsy.

They are in an upper floor flat, which, due to their nature are harder to let as most people eligible want ground floor flats, often due to mobility / sight issues.

These flats become empty quite often for obvious reasons.

They love the style of accommodation they are in (the sheltered part).

Will the council REALLY want them to move and take over a 1 bed flat? There aren't many where they are (I've no idea why so many of this style are 2 bed, as they are generally let to couples only). If it means they are being made to move and take a 'normal' one bed flat that could be used by a single person or couple of working age.....and just who will they allow to move into all these empty 2 bed sheltered accommodation flats?

i gave you an example if you refuse to accept it thats your choice :suspect: but just to humour you take a look here http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/family/housing-benefit

That's 2 links that do absolutely nothing to link private rental prices to HB rates.

Why would you think that a link explaining what HB was, would somehow provide evidence that it props up the private rental market?

Why do you dismiss the evidence of the continent where the rental market exists, HB doesn't prop it up and prices are broadly the same as in the UK. If it's only housing benefit that props up the prices then the continent would have much lower prices wouldn't it!

That's 2 links that do absolutely nothing to link private rental prices to HB rates.

Why would you think that a link explaining what HB was, would somehow provide evidence that it props up the private rental market?

Why do you dismiss the evidence of the continent where the rental market exists, HB doesn't prop it up and prices are broadly the same as in the UK. If it's only housing benefit that props up the prices then the continent would have much lower prices wouldn't it!

i agreed with you that it might exist on the continent without hb. what i disagree with you on is that you are saying hb does not prop up the private rental in this country when it actually does. so people living in private rental getting their housing costs paid for by hb dosent prop up the private rental :huh:

Bedroom tax a farce

---------- Post added 30-03-2013 at 09:45 ----------

Bedroom tax doesnt affect me but feel for people who have to move and makes me despair of a government that is so short sighted to implement a tax which cannot even be put into action as there arent enough houses to go round anyway.

i agreed with you that it might exist on the continent without hb. what i disagree with you on is that you are saying hb does not prop up the private rental in this country when it actually does. so people living in private rental getting their housing costs paid for by hb dosent prop up the private rental :huh:

Given that most private rental rates are significantly higher than HB rates, and that demand is strong, I don't think HB has any affect on private rental rates except possibly at the very bottom of the market.

If HB disappeared overnight, the private rental market would remain basically as it is. The evidence from the continent supports this.

Bedroom tax a farce

---------- Post added 30-03-2013 at 09:45 ----------

Bedroom tax doesnt affect me but feel for people who have to move and makes me despair of a government that is so short sighted to implement a tax which cannot even be put into action as there arent enough houses to go round anyway.

Hi

The government know exactly what they are doing, they know there arnt enough houses to implement this and never will be.

what this is for is another way of making it better to work than not work, if you go through the people who are liable for exemption from this i.e. pensioners people who need 24 hour care, armed forces etc if you go through those what have you got left, people who can work, and that is who it is aimed at by reducing their benefit and it's my guess that there will be other things of the same elk to come, while ever there are discussions like this calling it like a bedroom tax and things like that the government is happy because people are missing the point of it by a mile, its aimed at the people who can but choose not to (for whatever reason) work.

Edited by kidley

Oh, and why don't we tax the income that they use to buy the houses in the first place, I'm surprised no one ever thought of that before...

You're quite right: income tax is about the fairest sort of tax there is - you don't have to pay it unless you have money coming in to pay. no wonder the Government is so keen to reduce it.

You're quite right: income tax is about the fairest sort of tax there is - you don't have to pay it unless you have money coming in to pay. no wonder the Government is so keen to reduce it.

Just put more tax on non essential goods like mobile phones, satellite tv , alcohol, large plasma tv, extra Vat on nail saloons

Given that most private rental rates are significantly higher than HB rates, and that demand is strong, I don't think HB has any affect on private rental rates except possibly at the very bottom of the market.

If HB disappeared overnight, the private rental market would remain basically as it is. The evidence from the continent supports this.

i gave you a link showing how hb paid for a certain person would you call that house the bottom of the market :suspect:

i gave you a link showing how hb paid for a certain person would you call that house the bottom of the market :suspect:

You didn't show how the wider housing market was somehow "propped up", did you think that a single anecdote somehow proved your point?

You didn't show how the wider housing market was somehow "propped up", did you think that a single anecdote somehow proved your point?
no but it shows how hb is used to prop up the private rental market, the other link i showed you said hb was paid to over a million people i suppose that figure is low too :loopy: just admit that it does support it and your wrong :hihi: