Stop the bedroom tax - petition

I initially thought the bedroom tax was to charge you every time you had sex. I wouldn't put it past this Government.

Hi Douglas.

I have read this,

But foster carers and families of armed services personnel will be exempt from controversial changes to housing benefit, ministers have said.

Work and Pensions Secretary Iain Duncan Smith said the 5,000 approved foster carers in the UK would continue to receive rent payments towards an "additional room" as long as they have fostered a child or become an approved foster carer in the previous 12 months.

And families with adult children serving in the armed forces will also be exempt from the changes, even when on overseas deployment. They will be treated as if they were continuing to live at home.

Disabled tenants will be allowed a bedroom for full-time live-in or overnight carers. If a full-time carer is a husband, wife or partner, then they will be expected to share a room. However, they can apply for a discretionary housing payment from their local authority if the disability means the partner needs to sleep in another room.

Discretionary support should remain in place for "priority groups" such as disabled people whose homes have had to be significantly adapted and those with long-term medical conditions which create difficulties in sharing a bedroom.

Unfortunately, no further money has been allowed since the initial legislation, so where are councils going to get the extra money from to fund the rethink? As it is Discretionary, and severely rationed, many many deserving cases are going to be denied because there simply isn't the money in the budget.

They have no rights to insist that the council honours the new legislation, it is descretionary, therefore governed by budget, not need.

Get it?

I'm sever,y disabled but try to lead an independent as I can life. I'm about to move to a 3 bed with my daughter as I want a spare room for the times at night when I do need assistance. Lha have said I need to contact DWP to confirm I have sone one stay over on. Weekly basis to assist me. DWP replied because I'm in receipt of high rate care allowance, how I chose to spend it is up to me so can't confirm a carer. So not only do I pay out most of my money on help cleaning and transport/ mobility needs, I now have to find an extra £60 every 4 weeks for the spare room

To True P T it has been on t.v news that this Government is going to bring in food coupons for the poor, that has got to be a bad testament for this country

I would welcome the food coupons!, at least you would be guaranteed a decent diet. at the minute that is out of so many peoples budget (including me). people seems to forget that living on a balanced diet is prohibitively expensive. I am sick of cheap/ poor quality food. meat is something of the past, you just cannot afford it on twenty pounds a week food budget.

I think people should kick up a fuss about this particular legislation.

It's poorly thought out, it's punitive and it's discriminatory. It's aimed purely at those in greatest need.

Why aren't the government taxing those who own multiple houses?

Why aren't the government legislating against their own corrupt colleagues (MPs) who claim payment for second homes, when they live within walking distance of Westminster?

Why aren't they clamping down on the corruption that pays for duck-houses in MP's gardens? or claiming £59,000 + for wallpaper...

Disabled people should be able to stay in properties that have been adapted to their needs, and live there without penalties.

Non-residential parents SHOULD be allowed a second bedroom for their overnight access to their children. (So much for the "Family Values" of the Tories... This legislation will lead to more crime and fractured families)

It's not emotive (note spelling) rhetoric, it's the truth.

I dont disagree with any of this, its just the term "bedroom tax" that irks me, because it isn't a tax.

---------- Post added 29-03-2013 at 15:35 ----------

Pensioners are exempt from the bedroom tax.

Do you actually know what a tax is?

I'm sever,y disabled but try to lead an independent as I can life. I'm about to move to a 3 bed with my daughter as I want a spare room for the times at night when I do need assistance. Lha have said I need to contact DWP to confirm I have sone one stay over on. Weekly basis to assist me. DWP replied because I'm in receipt of high rate care allowance, how I chose to spend it is up to me so can't confirm a carer. So not only do I pay out most of my money on help cleaning and transport/ mobility needs, I now have to find an extra £60 every 4 weeks for the spare room

Is it the highest rate of DLA that you are paid ? If so then help with care, transport/mobility needs is exactly what this money is paid to you for.

its supports both the issues here he gets to stay in a private rented accomadation paid for by hb and will he be paying the extra out of his benefits also will he have to downsize

The rental market exists on the continent without being propped up by housing benefit. The rents are broadly similar to the UK.

So do you have any evidence that HB pushes up private rental prices?

---------- Post added 29-03-2013 at 16:28 ----------

I think people should kick up a fuss about this particular legislation.

It's poorly thought out, it's punitive and it's discriminatory. It's aimed purely at those in greatest need.

Why aren't the government taxing those who own multiple houses?

Good idea, how about a tax when they buy them to start with...

Oh, and then there can be a monthly tax levied that will depend on the value of the property.

Oh, and why don't we tax the income that they use to buy the houses in the first place, I'm surprised no one ever thought of that before...

Why aren't the government legislating against their own corrupt colleagues (MPs) who claim payment for second homes, when they live within walking distance of Westminster?

Legislation isn't needed, and they already changed the rules to make that less likely to happen. (More could still be done I agree).

Why aren't they clamping down on the corruption that pays for duck-houses in MP's gardens? or claiming £59,000 + for wallpaper...

Disabled people should be able to stay in properties that have been adapted to their needs, and live there without penalties.

Agreed.

Non-residential parents SHOULD be allowed a second bedroom for their overnight access to their children. (So much for the "Family Values" of the Tories... This legislation will lead to more crime and fractured families)

I don't agree with this one.

It's not emotive (note spelling) rhetoric, it's the truth.

You ignore the hundreds of thousands of people who aren't disabled, don't have children coming to stay and still have a spare room paid for by the tax payer. What justifies that?

Is it the highest rate of DLA that you are paid ? If so then help with care, transport/mobility needs is exactly what this money is paid to you for.

Very true. However, since when does care, transport and mobility needs come under the remit of rent?

What about this then .. the council gave us a two bedroom flat which we have improved to a decent standard , We pay full rent as we dont get benefits , my wife and i are pensioners and as you know we sometimes have a bed each for health reasons so will we have to pay the tax as we are paying for a 2 bedroom property?

If you pay full rent the change will not affect you. Also you are pensioners, and the new rules don't affect pensioners. Maybe you'll have to pay a little extra council tax. you'll probably be aboout £5 worse off a week.

To True P T it has been on t.v news that this Government is going to bring in food coupons for the poor, that has got to be a bad testament for this country

That's actually not a bad idea if its enforced properly

if this has already been posted please accept my apologies,

http://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/stop-the-bedroom-tax-3

please don't verbally abuse me for posting it, i'm not asking for comments, all i am asking is if you agree to it, sign it, simples

thank you

how can it be a tax, just get a job pay full rent sorted :rant:

Yes it is high care and that's exactly what DWP said but council need proof?????

I would need o pay the bedroom tax to enable my carer to sleep over some nights.

As for getting a job and paying full rent...... Anytime you want to send me a spare leg, third of a foot and 70% eyesight feel free, until then keep your prehistoric views to yourself....SORTED!