Stop the bedroom tax - petition

It's just the rent which would be due anyways.

The housing benefit bill is 200 million or billion a year. They have to do something.

People make demands for more council housing, yet 60% of it is under occupied. This is the governments answer to pressure tenants into taking more appropriete sized property.

At the end of the day, this is tax payers money that they are administrating

Before any body states they've paid their taxes, what we pay each month onlty goes to pay what was borrowed by the government, so its not like a savings bank.

The government has to payout public funds fairly, bearing in mind there's hardly anyone working and paying tax.

Yes, I know the rich keep bleeding us and nothing ever gets done, but thats always been the same.

they have enough money to pay themselves a decent wage/pension out of our taxes too :huh: but they arnt quick in reducing that are they ?

Can anyone tell me at what age are you regarded as a pensioner and thereby don't have to pay the bedroom tax? Even the government own web site seems a little vague.

Here is a link to work out the state pension age and will also tell you when you can expect to receive Pension Credits.

https://www.gov.uk/calculate-state-pension

If you are already in receipt of Pension Credits then that means you will not have to pay the (now generally accepted term) bedroom tax. That also applies even if you are not yet at the official state pension age.

I agree here - This is exactly what i am doing - I'm quite happy to move into a 1 bedroom flat and let my 3 bedroom house go to a family - I once lived in a 1 bed flat in London with a husband and 2 children for years before we moved t Sheffield. It was hell. 3 bedroom houses usually come with huge gardens and hedges - as we get older, it becomes more like a chore. For me, the bedroom tax has actually been a blessing. It made me do something about finding somewhere else to live.

You are to be commended for your social conscience - I hope you are happy in your smaller dwelling and that it's more manageable for you.

Very well said Blinks ! If you are moving from a council or housing assoc. property you should be able to get downsizing priority which means you can be more selective about where you live and have much greater choice.

---------- Post added 23-03-2013 at 16:37 ----------

Can anyone tell me at what age are you regarded as a pensioner and thereby don't have to pay the bedroom tax? Even the government own web site seems a little vague.

It depends on your date of birth - for example, I am born in 1952 and will retire when I am 62 and a half years old. I have a friend who was born earlier in 1952 and she retires when she is 62 and 1 months. This means my age for my bus pass will be the official date of retirement which is when I am 52 and a half.

key in your date of birth to this website below and it will work it out for you.

Please note - men born between 1950 and 1954 - a man will not possibly reach retirement age until 65 BUT he will be able to claim pension credit from exactly the same date as a woman who was born on the same day so for example if a man was born on 14 May 1952, although he won't be able to retire until 65, he can still claim pension credit from 6 July 2014 when he would be 62 yrs, 1 month and 22 days.

I know it's all very confusing

Try the link below

https://www.gov.uk/calculate-state-pension/y/age

It varies - but there is a Government calculator when you can type in your date of birth and it will tell you when you reach pension age.

https://www.gov.uk/calculate-state-pension/y/age.

If you're a couple, only one of you has to be over pension age to be exempt when the new rules start in April. I believe this will change in October so that you are only exempt if both of you are over pension age.

Why the nit picking ?

Does it matter what people are calling it ?

Yes, because (as Kidley posts) no-one pays or will have to pay any such tax.

You are absolutely right there. However, the DWP, Sheffield Homes, and other official Government departments are calling it the 'Bedroom Tax' - it's a label that has caught on and is being used officially. Although it is not really a 'tax'.

Regardless. It is a reduction by stealth in the value of housing benefit. Nothing wrong with that, except that the glorious coalition won't include rent controls in the package.

Hence, the poorest in our society get the crappy end of the stick yet again.

From tonight's Sheffield Star:

'Bedroom tax kicks in on Monday. Around 7,000 households in Sheffield with spare bedrooms face massive cuts if they refuse to move to smaller properties - even though the council has nowhere for them to go.

Southey ward councillor Tony Damms said "We just don't have 7,000 properties for people to move into. We let 4,000 properties a year to people on the waiting list and we currently get 12,000 applications for those."

There's going to be a protest march through Sheffield this Saturday (30th April) for anyone who thinks this legislation is unfair.

Regardless. It is a reduction by stealth in the value of housing benefit. Nothing wrong with that, except that the glorious coalition won't include rent controls in the package.

Hence, the poorest in our society get the crappy end of the stick yet again.

My Bold

it does not affect pensioners or disabled people etc the people that it does affect are people of working age that wont-dont want to work long term,

the poorest working people it will not affect at all, in fact i may even suggest they may be a little bit better off through this

[/b]

My Bold

it does not affect pensioners or disabled people etc the people that it does affect are people of working age that wont-dont want to work long term,

the poorest working people it will not affect at all, in fact i may even suggest they may be a little bit better off through this

So, it doesn't affect the boomers, but it does affect the youngsters.

I think that my point stands.

There are better ways of driving down the cost of housing benefit.

From tonight's Sheffield Star:

'Bedroom tax kicks in on Monday. Around 7,000 households in Sheffield with spare bedrooms face massive cuts if they refuse to move to smaller properties - even though the council has nowhere for them to go.

Southey ward councillor Tony Damms said "We just don't have 7,000 properties for people to move into. We let 4,000 properties a year to people on the waiting list and we currently get 12,000 applications for those."

There's going to be a protest march through Sheffield this Saturday (30th April) for anyone who thinks this legislation is unfair.

people on benefits have no clout?

---------- Post added 29-03-2013 at 00:31 ----------

So, it doesn't affect the boomers, but it does affect the youngsters.

I think that my point stands.

explain please.

I'd agree with that. Make it a basic flat rate other than on a contributory basis. You'd solve a huge number of issues by doing that.