Mystery cat pee smell

A couple of days in the past fortnight I've come home to a really strong smell of cat pee. We have a cat but she's never been one for weeing in the house, and I can't find any sign of cat pee anywhere. How to work out where the smell is coming from? We have a cat flap that is only triggered by our cat's microchip so I don't think other cats can get in.

I don't know how to get the smell out because I don't know where it's coming from!

Any advice very welcome!

Sympathies :( Been there.

It's not a tom peeing up against the cat flap is it? Is your girlie spayed? Could she be in season and attracting toms?

There are such things as urine finder torches - work on UV I think. I must admit I've not had much success with the one I got but might be worth a look.

---------- Post added 13-02-2013 at 20:33 ----------

oh and if/when you do find the offending spot - simple solution from pets at home is the best thing i've found to spray on to get rid of the smell. some of the cleaning / deodourant things that humans use either don't get rid of the smell as far as cats are concerned and/or even encourage them to pee there more.

It's a nightmare to detect!! She could have a urine infection so might be worth getting her checked out. As midgecat says tho - a tom regularly pees against the outside of our cat flap and the smell just seeps into the house :/

yeah ... that's a good point smudge. my midgecat never pee'd in the house ... unless she had cystitis. you should be able to tell if there's something wrong Melly - she could be back and forth to her lit box, squatting, nothing happening, uncomfortable, wee with blood in it, outside to try to wee, back in, all unsettled. possibly licking her bottom a lot.

Thanks everyone, really helpful. She's due her booster anyway so will mention it when I take her. She's not behaving oddly though, no change in playfulness or numbers of visits outside (she doesn't have a tray) and no more attention to her bottom than usual! There is a big ginger tom in the neighbourhood (the one that Teeny had living in their cellar for a while!) so I guess he could be the culprit near the flap. Will have a good sniff there!

The last twice that someone has said to me that they have a mystery cat peeing somewhere and they can't find who, where or how, in both occasions it's turned out not to be cat pee at all but to be a really smelly honeydew melon ripening in a warm place ;)

It's still worth getting a urine sample from your little one though (although getting a urine sample from a cat can be a rather, errrr, interesting experience!). And if she's not spayed then you'll get this sort of visitor occasionally when she's in season I'm afraid.

We had the same problem. It went on for months and months and although we crawled on our hands and knees over every inch of the house, we couldn't find any trace.

Eventually, I caught my cat mid-pee. He was in the bath weeing directly down the plug hole.

Cats rock!

probably if its just a couple of days in a fortnight its not a urine infection. with my midge when she had an infection it was peeing at least once a day where she shouldn't.

my money is on a tom peeing on the door/cat flap. or just possibly a smell you're bringing into the house ?on your shoes that's making her try to mark her territory.

She is spayed, and pampered somthing rotten! Will keep a close eye and see what the vet says too. Thanks everyone.

ps - no melon in the house at the mo!

We had the same problem. It went on for months and months and although we crawled on our hands and knees over every inch of the house, we couldn't find any trace.

Eventually, I caught my cat mid-pee. He was in the bath weeing directly down the plug hole.

Cats rock!

Ah, our old cat Dibs used to do that as well. Couldn't be mad with her really.

To the OP, cat wee is the bane of my life currently. We've got problems with a neighbour's cat breaking in through the magnet-operated cat flap and spraying in the kitchen. To make matters worse, we think one of our cats is weeing inside as a protest....still working on that one.

Also, a couple of times recently we've got home to find an overpowering smell of cat wee in the hall. There's no way any cat had got in there, but we found that "someone" had weed up against the front door (tomcat by the smell of it). The smell came right into the house, so I would say that could also be the cause of your problem.

Anyone got any ideas on how to discourage cats weeing on an external door?

---------- Post added 15-02-2013 at 20:43 ----------

Sure enough, got home this afternoon - overpowering reek of cat pee near the front door.....mop out yet again......

All you can do really is keep washing it off. Use safe4 or something similar. It totally gets rid of the smell (even to the sensitive nose of a cat)

All you can do really is keep washing it off. Use safe4 or something similar. It totally gets rid of the smell (even to the sensitive nose of a cat)

Thanks, I'll try that. I think I read somewhere that bleach only encourages them, so maybe that's where we've been going wrong.