Office 2013 tied to single PC

If you're thinking of buying Office 2013, you might want to read this article.

It appears that once you install Office 2013, it's tied to that PC. If your PC dies, you can't move your copy of Office to a new PC.

You might want to think twice about upgrading your old copy of Office or maybe start investigating an alternative.

Does this mean that most of OOo's devs have jumped ship and have beaten them to 'their' release of 4.0? :D

That's not true, as it's subscription based, you can move it to another PC just by verifying .. it just means it won't work on the old PC anymore, which, if it dies, is not a problem is it?

That's not true, as it's subscription based, you can move it to another PC just by verifying .. it just means it won't work on the old PC anymore, which, if it dies, is not a problem is it?

That's not what the Microsoft people were reported as saying in the article.

The most recent update from a Microsoft person is:

Another reply from Microsoft PR;

"No, the customer cannot transfer the license from one PC to another PC."

Microsoft's tech support people didn't seem to know their arses from the elbows and gave several conflicting answers.

He still hasn't got a definitive answer from Microsoft but is still chasing them for one and ends with:

All good questions, and I'm still waiting on answers from Microsoft. It's taken me several days of email and phone tag to get this far, so I don't see what hope your average punter has of getting a straight answer from Microsoft. If I'd believed the tech support line I'd be in a for a rude shock. You might think I'm splitting hairs, but if you're going to spend hundreds of dollars on Office then you need to know whether you've lost your money if your computer dies.

It will certainly be worth waiting until a definitive answer is provided before parting with money for it.

In the EU transferring a software program from one device to another is perfectly legal, as is also selling it to another user, provided it is only installed on one device at anyone given time.

1991 EU computer software directive.

Article 4(2) of Software Directive2: “The first sale in the Community of a copy of a program by the rightholder or with his consent shall exhaust the distribution right within the Community of that copy …”.

http://cheeks-co.com/when-is-a-software-license-transferable-even-if-it-says-it-is-non-transferable-byrt-prinsley/

Does that mean if I have a laptop and a desk top I can only have it on one of them?

Microsoft have changed the terms of the license agreement with the release of Office 2013.

If your computers dies then you need to purchase another copy of Office for your new computer.

Microsoft have changed the terms of the license agreement with the release of Office 2013.

If your computers dies then you need to purchase another copy of Office for your new computer.

If that is the case they can stuff it and I would use libre office.

What happens if your old PC dies, as you can't de-install it then?

What happens if your old PC dies, as you can't de-install it then?

You need to purchase a new copy of Office. More info

In the EU transferring a software program from one device to another is perfectly legal, as is also selling it to another user, provided it is only installed on one device at anyone given time.

1991 EU computer software directive.

Article 4(2) of Software Directive2: “The first sale in the Community of a copy of a program by the rightholder or with his consent shall exhaust the distribution right within the Community of that copy …”.

http://cheeks-co.com/when-is-a-software-license-transferable-even-if-it-says-it-is-non-transferable-byrt-prinsley/

It may be legal but online software activations allow manufacturers to prevent software from being reusable. Games on Steam do the same thing but there hasn't been a test case because nobody is bothered as the resale value of a game is so low. With the additional cost of Office there may finally be one.

I think Microsoft can expect another round of battles and fines with the EU over this move.