Doorstep traders. Your thoughts?

So just a few moments ago a man came knocking around our neighbourhood. Said he's selling tea towels, garden gloves etc door-to-door.

Is that a common occurrence? This was a first encounter of this sort (we've had people selling services like gardening or tree-cutting ... but never small consumer goods).

Regardless, he caught me unawares and I politely declined. (besides, I didn't need tea towels...:P )

He had a laminated paper print-out that was supposed to be his ID. He couldn't have been carrying a lot of stuff because he only had a small black rucksack on his shoulder. Has anyone experienced such tradesmen in Sheffield before? Are they genuine?

Think you know answer to whether he's genuine or not

Yes, we get the occasionally out here, nowt wring with them as long as they have the right hawkers licence or street traders do dah.

Used to get them a lot when I lived in Walkley, not seen anyone doing sales recently though.

Yeah I had this just before xmas last year. He was selling stuff at ridiculous prices that you can buy elsewhere for a fraction of the price. This chap was around late 50s early 60s with a rucksack and had a laminated piece of paper too. I was going to buy something out of sympathy but everything was really overpriced. When I said I did not want anything he got really stroppy. This was in Wickersley area of Rotherham.

Cant fault em if they are getting off there a.se and doing summat.Maybe they deserve a break,if its reasonably priced and you want it[if its legal]then buy it.

Never buy anything on your doorstep,just poiltely say no thank you and quickly shut the door.

Edited by jackanne
spelling.

Legit ones have a Police issued licence which shows they've been checked out. If they don't have a licence then send them on their way.

These callers often originate from the Nottingham area . Although I don't live in Sheffield I have had them knocking at my door . The last one admitted he had just come out of prison and was trying to go straight , he was from Nottingham . The stuff they sell is what you would see in the pound shops but they are asking far more for it . Whilst I feel sorry for them I never buy anything .

There is one of the yellow police notices on my door. The chain goes on the door, People are politely pointed to it and the door is then closed.

Never buy anything on your doorstep,just poiltely say no thank you and quickly shut the door.

Just because YOU dont want to buy something doesnt mean you should impose that on others.There are many many people who have benefitted from door sales and continue to.

Day Fresh fish is one example which customers are generally gained initially from door sales then contacted on a cycle if required................