Lowfield parents using bike lane on Asline Road as a car park

cars should not be parked on the footpath at all, if they are that means that they have driven along the footpath to get there which is an endorsable offence of 3 points and a £60 fine (from police) or a parking fine (from council). since this is a cycle path like stated above then they have clearly driven on a footpath, i would get the police involved rather than parking services. they will be willing to come around and dish out some advice as it involves a school, if it continues after that they will come and dish out some points instead. 3 points will have a much bigger effect on their pockets than a £30 parking fine.

There are clear signs there saying you can't park there, along with the double yellows. Loading permitted at certain times, though, according to the signs.

I've checked with Parking Services directly and this is not true.

Now they are aware of the problem, they will carry out some enforcement.

Nicely done, thanks.

Don't think you will manage to change anything, it happens outside all schools. Some of the parents at my local school use the whole road as a giant carpark. You've got no chance of getting down the road at school pickup time because if there isn't a space at either side of the road they stop in the middle until their little darlings come out then beep their horn to get other people doing the same thing to move. If I were you I would try to avoid the road at that time of day, its not fair but is the only solution parking tickets don't seem to deter them or haven't in my area.

Sounds like a 12" high kerb edge is required, or bollards, or rotating knives.

Don't think you will manage to change anything, it happens outside all schools. Some of the parents at my local school use the whole road as a giant carpark. You've got no chance of getting down the road at school pickup time because if there isn't a space at either side of the road they stop in the middle until their little darlings come out then beep their horn to get other people doing the same thing to move. If I were you I would try to avoid the road at that time of day, its not fair but is the only solution parking tickets don't seem to deter them or haven't in my area.

I’ve recently noticed poster sized “no tolerance” type warning signs at a few schools, fixed to boundary fences. Also, I think I read on another thread that the mobile parking enforcement camera is to target schools. Maybe once the drivers start getting a couple of £30 tickets a day, they might start to change their habits. But even if they don’t change their habits, then at least they’ll be paying for the privilege of being able to park just where they want with no concern for the safety of others.

Edit: The infants school that our daughter went to until last year is on an otherwise quiet residential crescent. However, every morning and evening the road is blocked with parents cars parked on both sides, churning up the verges, blocking drives (“I’ll only be a minute”), stopping in the middle of the road to let kids out, and stopping in the “no stopping” zig-zags.

We usually walked, but on the odd occasion we drove, we always parked on a quiet nearby street and walked the last bit. This was as quick (if not quicker), safer, and a lot less stressful than queuing on the road in front of the school.

Edited by Eater Sundae
Added a bit

Like hell they will................

Just watch our great parking services at work at the nearby mosque. they walk past taxis that are parked on double yellows, they turn a blind eye to double parking, let me guess.... the local 'elders' have asked for a bit of slack to be cut to ease tensions... right

We regularly complained to the Police about them using that counter flow cycle path as match day parking for away coaches with no result.

In another part of the city someone has been pursuing the issue of taxis and police vans blocking the counterflow lane on on Castle Street.

The saga is described on

http://greatgasbeetle.com/the-ongoing-saga-of-sheffields-castle-street-cycle-lane/

and

http://greatgasbeetle.com/the-police-try-to-justify-parking-on-mandatory-contraflow-lanes/

If it were a cycle lane, cars can only enter it if the dividing line is dotted. If it is a continuous line, then they cannot enter at all. In the case of the dotted line, then whether or not you can park depends on the individual parking/waiting restrictions. For example, there is a cycle lane on Clarkehouse Road, but for most of the day it is unusable because of legally parked cars.

I don't go that way much, but I understand from people who do that the Clarkehouse Road cycle lane is nearly always unusable: because of illegally parked cars in the morning and legally parked ones the rest of the day!

I don't go that way much, but I understand from people who do that the Clarkehouse Road cycle lane is nearly always unusable: because of illegally parked cars in the morning and legally parked ones the rest of the day!

I haven’t used it much, and there have always been cars parked, but I think they were legal at the times I’ve passed. TBH, I think the lanes are a complete waste of time on the stretch between Newbould Lane and Glossop Road, as the road itself is too narrow to allow them to work safely.

After 9 am commuters park up in the bike lane while the parking restriction is still in force, then sit and wait in their cars till 9.30 when it legal to park.

If parking services come along they simply drive off, come back when they've gone.

Similar thing happens on Crookes Valley Rd although that's a bus / bike lane.

I’ve recently noticed poster sized “no tolerance” type warning signs at a few schools, fixed to boundary fences.

I've noticed cops hanging around on the street opposite the schools --- that seems to help more than the signs.