The House By The Five Arches!

Going under the Five Arches, facing the Wednesday ground,

Herries Road veers off to the right (towards the Leppings Lane

roundabout) whereas the road straight ahead has been named

Herries Road South.

I wonder if Herries Road South was a later addition.

The one to the right would have been the first part as it was the road to Huddersfield i would think.

I've been trying to find the location of 3 Scraith Wood Cottages - my aunt was born there in 1918. Does anyone know where the cottages were built and when they were demolished?

happy days i lived on penrith road and went to shirecliffe school.i played on meadows;and remember the white bridge and black bridge i also remember playing in ward ends cemetry. the railings from the white bridge to river don were a bit creepy but i loved it.i would not change my childhood for anything :):)

I've been trying to find the location of 3 Scraith Wood Cottages - my aunt was born there in 1918. Does anyone know where the cottages were built and when they were demolished?

Scraith Wood Cottages were situated very near to the junction of Wordsworth Avenue and Herries Road, although neither road existed at the time that the cottages were built.

There were only three cottages, joined in a small terrace. I do not know exactly when they were built but it was definately before 1880. They were demolished sometime between 1934 and 1953 and most probably in 1937, when a lot of rebuilding took place in the area (Old Parson Cross).

It was a wooded area (the clue is in the address) with a quarry nearby and a well. Local residents may have been involved with coppicing trees to make charcoal, as several people were listed as Agricultural Labourers.

I used to work with a bloke called Alan Acaster at Sheffield Polytechnic in the 1990's.

He mentioned once he was born in the house just below Five Arches.

I didn't realise the house was so old.

My Uncle told once of riding in a cart with his family and furniture up Herries Rd to a new house at Southey between the wars.

As they passed under the Five Arches and he saw the pond he thought they had entered paradise ! :D

Scraith Wood Cottages were situated very near to the junction of Wordsworth Avenue and Herries Road, although neither road existed at the time that the cottages were built.

There were only three cottages, joined in a small terrace. I do not know exactly when they were built but it was definately before 1880. They were demolished sometime between 1934 and 1953 and most probably in 1937, when a lot of rebuilding took place in the area (Old Parson Cross).

It was a wooded area (the clue is in the address) with a quarry nearby and a well. Local residents may have been involved with coppicing trees to make charcoal, as several people were listed as Agricultural Labourers.

Thank you for the information - I've been looking for the location of the cottages for a long time.

Can someone satisfy my curiousity (as a late-comer who is trying to imagine this lost landscape), which was the "white bridge" and which was the "black bridge"?

Was the white bridge the very white-looking footbridge over the railway that can be seen on some old photos?

Hugh

Anyone who has read my early threads about our old mill cottage might know a little history about the old similar houses on the bottom side of the Five Arches.There used to be a watermill near as what is now the fishing pond was the water supply for it,I should imagine it would have been built around the late 1700s the same as our old place.Across Herries Road is the water run off going into a tunnel under where the scrapyard was coming out into the Don just below where the old stone bridge that washed away in the floods was situated.It must be dark inside as its in a dip higher than the roof overlooked by the arches,I can remember the dip going all the way on the same side until it was filled in to build the loading bays sometime in the early 60s,anyone got any info?.:huh:

I remember a bloke called Dick Lightning living in those cottages just below the five arches to the left going up hill.

Dick later moved to Walkley .

Can someone satisfy my curiousity (as a late-comer who is trying to imagine this lost landscape), which was the "white bridge" and which was the "black bridge"?

Was the white bridge the very white-looking footbridge over the railway that can be seen on some old photos?

Hugh

The White bridge was at the end of the cemetery towards Neepsend, now gone.

---------- Post added 16-12-2016 at 22:32 ----------

I remember a bloke called Dick Lightning living in those cottages just below the five arches to the left going up hill.

Dick later moved to Walkley .

Saw Dick at a funeral 4 or 5 years back.

The "white bridge" is arrowed on this six-inch Ordnance Survey map dated 1934. The map also shows the zig-zag path, with railings either side, through the cemetery below the bridge. A map of 1920-21 doesn't show the bridge, so it must have been built in the meantime. I remember it well but I've never seen a photo! I did wonder if it had something to do with the power station as it seemed to disappear not long after the power station closed.