Working for free breached laws banning slavery and forced labour

Interesting how it's Cait Reilly who comes in for the invective when the case was about two people, the other a man called Jamieson Wilson.

Let's think about this. First, why is a woman refusing to work for free berated and hated by some people but a man refusing the same receives no such treatment? I get the impression that some people think she doesn't know her place, and that her place is different from a man's. Imagine if she was a black woman - imagine a black woman getting all uppity about not working for free. The cheek of it!

Also, cleaning furniture for free for 6 months?? How does that work? "Well, I've been cleaning furniture day in day out for 4 months now, so only 2 months to go before I have learned how to clean furniture to a required standard to get me a job as a ... furniture cleaner??"

You have highlighted the difference yourself,2 wks against 6 MONTHS,no wonder he got upset and refused,she on the other hand only had to do 2 wks.big difference.

You have highlighted the difference yourself,2 wks against 6 MONTHS,no wonder he got upset and refused,she on the other hand only had to do 2 wks.big difference.

She seems to have objected about the principle. You have principles, lots of people don't agree with yours, but if no-one had any principles or was prepared to stand up for them we'd be in an even sorrier mess than we are already. Pointing out that a government is breaking the law is always an act of good citizenship in my book - but there I go again having principles, best send me to the gulags to drum that out of me.

As I have already pointed out, she already had retail experience, so had nothing to gain from working for Poundland for nowt. The only people who gained were Poundland, therefore they should be paying. The taxpayer lost out, she lost out, anyone looking for a paid job at Poundland lost out.

I can't disagree with anything you say there. There should be some kind of hybrid system that both gives the individual useful experience and allows willing organisations to provide useful experience, while giving the 'system' maximum bang for it's buck.

I'm sure that it's easier said than done, but that's no reason not to strive for it.

boycott workfare seem to be having some sucess in getting companies to pull out of the work programme,thats good in itself,explotation should never be tolerated.

internships (for very long periods of time) already are illegal, its just not much is done on the enforcement side. They are supposed to pay minimum wage.

Not sure I have much sympathy for Cait though - from what I recall she applied for many "higher powered' jobs and was not getting them and refused to apply for jobs she was more likely to get. In that situation it seems reasonable to force her to work (though not for free - she should have been paid at least the minimum wage, because I don't see why Tesco/Poundland etc should get free labour)

Perhaps all on JSA should have to carry out a few hours work of some kind.

Well, as taxpayers, why wouldn't most people expect at least some work to be undertaken by claimants?

Well, as taxpayers, why wouldn't most people expect at least some work to be undertaken by claimants?

A very politically naive response IMHO.

Just for starters how about minimum wage, looking for employment, shelf stackers jobs being done by full time employees?

I could go on but this has been covered ad nauseum elsewhere on this forum.

Sounds fare to me and before someone’s say they work at looking for work, the employed also look for better work after they have put in a full day at work.

A very politically naive response IMHO.

It was not my view: merely a question. Please re-read. Ad nauseAm.

Bit of a loaded question isnt it especially as most claimants are/have been taxpayers as well.

You seem to have a very "us vs them" attitude towards the unemployed and maybe it would help if you could suggest what work could be undertaken by claimants.

It was not my view: merely a question. Please re-read. Ad nauseAm.

Definately a lawyer's answer. :hihi:

---------- Post added 18-02-2013 at 19:02 ----------

Sounds fare to me and before someone’s say they work at looking for work, the employed also look for better work after they have put in a full day at work.

Is that your personal opinion or are you privy to information you have not mentioned?