Working for free breached laws banning slavery and forced labour

She's working now, and not in a museum.

But would she be working now if she hadn't been forced to work at Poundland? Did it give her a reality check?

If she'd gone unquestioned no doubt she'd still be there, volunteering at the pen museum, being a drain on the country.

Maybe I should quit my job and claim benefits until my dream job of bikini inspector or beer taster comes up? Why don't we all?

Maybe I should quit my job and claim benefits until my dream job of bikini inspector or beer taster comes up? Why don't we all?

Never give up the dream, it happened for me, but by golly it was hard work getting to the top.

But would she be working now if she hadn't been forced to work at Poundland? Did it give her a reality check?

If she'd gone unquestioned no doubt she'd still be there, volunteering at the pen museum, being a drain on the country.

Did she even work at poundland? I though the court case arose because she refused to work there?

Certainly, I would imagine that her experience of working to get justice (it takes a fair bit of nouse and commitment to get these things into court, hence why most people don't acheive what she did, they just roll over and accept the DWPs 'rulings') and I would imagine the personal skills she gained from that, far exceeded any she'd pick up working for nothing in a pound shop :)

Maybe you should. Bear in mind though, you'll be without any benefits whatsoever for the first (whatever the current 'santion period' is for those who quit a job voluntarily these days is) X months.

Then you'll also have to research your 'dream job', cos, invariably, when you look into the actualities of the dream job, it's rarely as plush as it looks when you're just dreaming about it.

For example- 'bikini inspector': not a hard job to get, it's factory work, quality control, you sit on a conveyor belt as thousands of bikinis flow by while you check tham for defects: mind numbingly tedious job, of the type done by millions of factory workers.

Beer taster- not so easy to get, as it requires both a natural abiltiy when it comes to taste, plus many years of honing that skill till you get to a level when you can judge a beer good, not because you like the taste, but, because the majority of the beers purchasers will like it. You're unlikely to have the necessary attributes, cos very few do.

As Tony says-

Never give up the dream, it happened for me, but by golly it was hard work getting to the top.

But, good luck if you do decide to pursue your dreams- very few do get off their backsides to chase them, they settle for being sheep and remain in the comfortable world of tedious bill-paying jobs and being pushed around by petty tyrants like the DWP: unlike the lady who's the subject of this thread, who, IMO, is well worthy of praise, not only for standing up for herself, but also because it's now looking like many other victims of this DWP ruling will benefit from this legal precedent.

Edited by onewheeldave

i see the gov went to court to close this loophole last night :suspect: not this quick in closing loopholes when it come to tax avoidance are they :hihi: .

I don't know. It'll be fun making an answer up though.

Oh look, you beat me to it.

My made up answer - if she hadn't been forced she would be .... a unicorn now.

That's your choice. There are plenty unemployed around who've got more experience than you already though, so you've got a lot of catching up to do.

Indeed. Hence the young lady is now gainfully employed stacking shelves.

Where does it say she is stacking shelves in the supermarket she is now working in?

Since when was stacking shelves a vital skill?
when people complain that something is out of date because it was not stacked on the shelves by date order (come on you must know these people )

Where does it say she is stacking shelves in the supermarket she is now working in?

It doesn't. I was incorrect. She works on the checkout part time.

when people complain that something is out of date because it was not stacked on the shelves by date order (come on you must know these people )

Not really as I always look first, chose items with the longest date and not be fooled by the stacking order.

Good luck to the rest of her career which she's probably ruined now. Would any employer risk taking on someone like her?

If i was an employer i wouldnt touch her with a bargepole ............. she has got "Troublemaker" written all over her.

If i was an employer i wouldnt touch her with a bargepole ............. she has got "Troublemaker" written all over her.
theres words to describe people like you fortunatly i cant use them on a family forum :suspect:

So how come the judge agreed with her and the Dept of Work & Pension was ridiculed for its incompetent advisors and policy makers?

So, you know the law better than the judge do you?