Bought a second hand washer

I have bought a second hand washer,

Paid 50 quid anf 15 for deliverym the man and his wife came to bring it me,

Switched it on and it washed so they went. I the washer didnt spin and, didnt drain.

I rang the man who waitied a week to get in touch, He has just phoned and said If I can get it too Carlton then he will give me some money but not delivery charge.

Looking back I was a bit of a div but having waited so long for a washer (saVing from my D.L.A.] I was just glad to get one.

Does anyone know about washing machines, how much it will cost to repair or just get rid because I cannot get it to where it needs to be,

Thankyou

x

Sounds like the drain pump to me, If there is an inspection cover on the front, open it and make sure nothing is stuck in the pump.

Oh, before you begin, make sure you get as much water as you can out of the machine by lowering the drain hose as low as possible into a bowl or the like.

Hope this helps

Edited by Crosser
typo

I only know his adress and phone number, so I dont know

x

---------- Post added 11-02-2013 at 11:57 ----------

It is A Barnsley number tho x

I second what the other person says. Might just be something in the pump, if it cant drain then it wont spin.if you lower the hose and get it as empty as poss then it just might spin, that would let you know the spin works although it wouldnt empty it.

Ive sonetimes blown down the hose and cleared a block too.

Switched it on and it washed so they went. I the washer didnt spin and, didnt drain.

I rang the man who waitied a week to get in touch, He has just phoned and said If I can get it too Carlton then he will give me some money but not delivery charge.

Looking back I was a bit of a div but having waited so long for a washer (saVing from my D.L.A.] I was just glad to get one.

Does anyone know about washing machines, how much it will cost to repair or just get rid because I cannot get it to where it needs to be,

Thankyou

x

depending on the make and model. if there isnt a filter behind a removable panel at the front near the bottom, then it will be in the rubber pipe that leaves the bottom of the drum. it is a plastic filter tube inside this pipe that gets clogged and will result in the drum not being emptied and refusing to spin.

this is awkward to get to even if you were physically able to.

it could also be that the pump has failed (usually @ £25 to buy plus fitting costs)

if he has a business, you should have a warranty, usually three months. if you have this, speak to again and mention citizen's advice or consumer direct, this should spur him into action. to be fair, he should have cleared the filter before selling the machine.

if he was a private seller, then you have no rights and are stuck with it. there should be a kind hearted forum user willing to come and sort this for you at minimal cost. let us know the make and model and let us know how you get on.

Edited by muckymurphy
add info

Just a thought but is there an nice, compassionate washing machine repair man on here who may come out and have a look at it for you for a small cost???

On another tack....next time you need something....try Freegle....lots of stuff given away...people upgrading or moving.....and just want stuff gone. Have seen washing machines on there before.

Hope you get it sorted soon. :)

I bought a second hand one and after a month or so, I had the same problem. The pump had a piece of string wrapped around the propellor and it couldn't rotate properly, causing it burn out. I got some advice off here, bought a new pump and filter from ebay for just 10 pounds and it was incredibly easy to fit, someone you know may be able to do it for you! It was just a case of pulling a wiring loom out, twisting the old pump off, reconnecting wiring loom to new one, and twisting that on. Really simple and plenty of videos online to show you how :) x

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Thankyou so much for replies,

I did what was suggested and had a nice little paddle, but tried it again and was doing the same.

I think its a case of being bitten, twice shy ... thankyou again

x

is the outlet drain hose fitted properly?, put it a floor level in to a bowl or bucket and see if the machine will spin or drain then.

Thankyou

where are you , I can have a look at for you, no fix no fee.

Hiya Viper I am in ecclesfield, would be much appreciated x