Poor service PC World

In our house we have been using laptops on our laps for years, never done any other laptop any harm.

That's similar to what someone told me in the years before pre-fitted plugs, when I told them they should be changing the default 13 amp fuse in the plug bought from do-it-all, to the correct rating

"In our house we've has 13 amp fuses in everything for years and the house hasn't burned down"

Thankfully they since idiot-proofed plugs (or as near as)

As for "never done any other laptop any harm" - maybe not in your house but I know people who have burned their laptops out in similar circumstances without having ever taken it to PC world for repair. Unless PC world are in the habit of stealing laptops to repair at the dead of night.

Well this one was sent in because it was under warranty was half a year old.

that is true.... im sure if my husband went to work elsewhere they would laugh at his certifcates and lapel pins and his training he has done and more than likely say...what the hell do you want me

Whilst you seem to enjoy promoting PC World (are you on commission?) despite your husband working there are you actually aware that on site qualifications mean jack in the outside world. By this (having learnt the hard way myself) a good number of years ago I went through in house training using my own time and resources to get the qualifications to get a pittence of a rise yet, when I left the said company the qualifications were useless despite being labelled as qualified to do this and that so I had to start all over again. Therefore being an Apple whatever is this a formally recognised qualification because if it is what is your husband working for PC World for??? other than enjoying it..... what about the Apple shop in Meadowhell, if he's good they'll take him....

that is true.... im sure if my husband went to work elsewhere they would laugh at his certifcates and lapel pins and his training he has done and more than likely say...what the hell do you want me

Whilst you seem to enjoy promoting PC World (are you on commission?) despite your husband working there are you actually aware that on site qualifications mean jack in the outside world. By this (having learnt the hard way myself) a good number of years ago I went through in house training using my own time and resources to get the qualifications to get a pittence of a rise yet, when I left the said company the qualifications were useless despite being labelled as qualified to do this and that so I had to start all over again. Therefore being an Apple whatever is this a formally recognised qualification because if it is what is your husband working for PC World for??? other than enjoying it..... what about the Apple shop in Meadowhall, if he's good they'll take him....

To be one of their 'Genuis' team haha

[/color]

i know the guy your speaking of, he is very knowlegable and a top guy. tbh there is nothing i disagree with in your post. you do get the odd one who thinks he knows everything, you do get the odd one that knows nothing...but thats why there are so many staff...some have just started and are over eager or under eager/shy. but just because one sales man speaks to you doesnt mean you have to finalize the deal with the first person you speak to, if you are not comfortable with the salesman, move on until you find one you are comfortable with. unless you're in a rush and can not wait around. just baffles me why people don't do this.

as a customer i am exactly same, i dont like pushy salesmen. i dont like being acosted as i walk in the door way, i like to have a browse, look at the item i want, wait to be appraoched and asked can i help you?, if i'm not approached i will use my eyes like a heat seeking missile looking for a staff member and approach them.

i really do see it both sides , 1 as a customer. 2. as an ex retail staff member myself. 3. because my OH works there atm.

The chap is a legend and how he's managed to work there all that amount of time belies belief especially under the circumstances. If more of the staff were like him PC World would be a lot more profitable.

The only other two places I would recommend are either Apple shop (not to be confused with PC Worlds Apple section) or John Lewis who offer a superb warranty should you require one and fantastic customer service for roundabout the same price/specs etc...

My wife worked in retail management up to 6 years back and the pressure for sales from senior management was awful, they had to meet targets and get customers to sign up for the store card and had to obtain 3 each a week otherwise they would get a written warning that they were under performing! which then of course affected their yearly appraisal, no bonuses in the end she left, the stress of it all and the really vile customers really wasn't worth what she got paid (which was a lot less than you may think) and just above the basic wage - just where is the incentive???

However back to the PC World issue, I took out the basic cover though thinking about it I know more about the PC than the "Highly qualified technicians" do so what was I thinking??? answers on a postcard please

---------- Post added 15-02-2013 at 20:09 ----------

To be one of their 'Genuis' team haha

Absolutely, we use them at work and although I currently don't own a Mac for home use quite frankly they're very good. They offer a repair service thats second to none, fast and properly done and if you have a warranty with them its free.

By the way genuis is spelt GENIUS!!

Obviously you don't own a Mac and possibly never have however they're a lot better than PC's performance wise and going for a cheap pc as opposed to something that can actually do what you want it to is more beneficial is it not?

My year old HP PC isn't a patch on my 3 year old Mac that I use for work hence my next purchase is likely to be another Mac.....learn from mistakes!

---------- Post added 15-02-2013 at 20:14 ----------

Lets face it, anyone with a bit of technical knowledge doesn't buy from PC World (still selling those £13 USB cables and £18 HDMI cables).

Dumb customers and stores like PCW & Halfords with inflated prices go hand in hand, and they deserve each other.

I bought one from work and they charged me £1.45 for one of each!

Computer fairs are about the cheapest places

Don't use pc world use more computers. Com. Far better service.

Whilst you seem to enjoy promoting PC World (are you on commission?) despite your husband working there are you actually aware that on site qualifications mean jack in the outside world. By this (having learnt the hard way myself) a good number of years ago I went through in house training using my own time and resources to get the qualifications to get a pittence of a rise yet, when I left the said company the qualifications were useless despite being labelled as qualified to do this and that so I had to start all over again. Therefore being an Apple whatever is this a formally recognised qualification because if it is what is your husband working for PC World for??? other than enjoying it..... what about the Apple shop in Meadowhell, if he's good they'll take him....

1. I am not promoting PCWorld, I am giving you all information about the products they sell to give you piece of mind should your item break. I am not saying you have to buy these, you can claim off your own house insurance....Have fun with them if you do.

2. If you read my qoute ( by the way if you want to quote someone press the little box that says quote on the persons post) makes it easier to understand-ooh dear ive just told you how to USE your pc does this mean i am promoting basic computing courses? NO. I have highlighted in red ( if you would like me to inform you how to that too just ask) the part where i state that onsite qualifications mean jack in the outside world.

3. Im sure if my husband walked into the apple store, asked for a job, showed his certs/pins and training module they would snap him up, but im not 100% sure the husband wants to work in retail if he changes jobs. the attitude of certain people are not worth the wage they get paid.

---------- Post added 16-02-2013 at 12:16 ----------

[/color]

My wife worked in retail management up to 6 years back and the pressure for sales from senior management was awful, they had to meet targets and get customers to sign up for the store card and had to obtain 3 each a week otherwise they would get a written warning that they were under performing! which then of course affected their yearly appraisal, no bonuses in the end she left, the stress of it all and the really vile customers really wasn't worth what she got paid (which was a lot less than you may think) and just above the basic wage - just where is the incentive???

However back to the PC World issue, I took out the basic cover though thinking about it I know more about the PC than the "Highly qualified technicians" do so what was I thinking??? answers on a postcard please

So put yourself in my place for a second.... go back in time to your wife working in retail, you sit at your pc, go on a forum and see a post made by someone that calls the store where your wife works crap, and the staff in it useless, lemmings, do nothing but scratch their arses.

This implies your wife is useless, a lemming and does nothing but scratch her ass all day. would you defend your wife because you know for a fact she will do anything to help a customer-even though there are some staff in her store that won't.

Now if you are totally honest, this would annoy you too and you would defend her. ok the stores policies maybe a little off but you know your wifes own policy that she will do all she can to help. You have an understanding yourself of the pressures etc....so is your wife to blame or the company?

At this point you know it's the company to blame and im sure your wife, like many who work in retail have come home from work and are just numb. You have been through a simialr situation with pay/bonus's and customers yelling at your wife.

As for basic cover on a pc you have taken out, yet you know more than the "Highly qualified technicians" do, the what the hell you still paying for it for? cancell it, fix your own pc if it breaks down, and don't go into store yelling cos you have hit an issue, you cancelled the policy and they want to now charge you. There is no contract, if you dont want the policy...don't take it.

If you do feel pressured to take it, that's simply because you are not assertive enough to say NO THANKYOU.

---------- Post added 16-02-2013 at 12:32 ----------

Absolutely, we use them at work and although I currently don't own a Mac for home use quite frankly they're very good. They offer a repair service thats second to none, fast and properly done and if you have a warranty with them its free.

What does the AppleCare Protection Plan cover?

Mac hardware + Mac OS + iLife and iWork, as well as global coverage for all computers.

The AppleCare Protection Plan provides three years of service and support coverage from: Computer’s original date of purchase.

THIS MEANS IF YOU BUY APPLE CARE IN YOUR SECOND YEAR OF OWNING YOUR MAC..YOU WILL LOSE 1 YR OF COVER.

Tech support usually costs £35 per incident after 90 days of complimentary support.

The plan includes both parts and labour. Out-of-warranty repairs may cost more than one-time investment of AppleCare Protection Plan.

Every apple product comes with complimentary TELEPHONE technical support within 90 days of your customer's purchase and a one-year LIMITED warranty. Telephone tech support usually costs £25 per incident after the complimentary tech support within 90 days has expired.

I thought I had a two year warranty ?!?!?!

The consumer law simply sets a minimum period within which someone can claim that a product was defective at the time of purchase. Under the consumer law, you have two years to submit your claims and prove that your product was defective at the time of purchase, so you can see, it's not a warranty. And with AppleCare Protection Plan you won't have to go through such a difficult process.

So yeah, it is free complimentary for 90 days...after which they will charge like any other policy in place..in any store.

---------- Post added 16-02-2013 at 12:54 ----------

As for john lewis, argos, or any other cheaper place to buy... go in to the store, ask to see the product you want to buy for example the new ipad mini... then ask them to give you a demo as you have never used one.

ask them to show you how to sync your itunes library from your ipod to the mini.

ask them to show you how to use the multi touch gestures.

ask them to show you the differance between IE and IOS.

ask them to show you how to surf the web.

ask them to show you how rent films and watch tv.

ask them to show you what these mean:

Tap

Double-tap

Pinch

Swipe

Flick

Drag

Rotate iPad

Press

Double-click

ask them to tell you the difference between the ipad mini and the other ipads.

ask them what IPS is.

try this is argos....please and then tell me if the staff in pcworld know nothing.

Edited by jaxter30

enquired yesterday about a few issues I have with a computer I bought just over 2 weeks ago---I was told the same as Graham 101 that I should have to pay---this is a shame because the fault was most probably mine trying to get my head round Windows8----but 10 minutes in the hands of a technician would let me know one way or the other----cant say I could recomend them to anyone now.

I had seen several bad reports about PC World on the Forum but thought that any issues would be sorted in store especially with them being local----more fool me

enquired yesterday about a few issues I have with a computer I bought just over 2 weeks ago---I was told the same as Graham 101 that I should have to pay---this is a shame because the fault was most probably mine trying to get my head round Windows8----but 10 minutes in the hands of a technician would let me know one way or the other----cant say I could recomend them to anyone now.

I had seen several bad reports about PC World on the Forum but thought that any issues would be sorted in store especially with them being local----more fool me

When you bought your item you were offered whatever happenes or whatever happens premier. they explain to you any issues will be covered free of charge. they explain any issues you have if you dont take thispolicy out you will be charged for.

you refuse it, your item confuses you, you go into store ask them to tell you how to sort it, they want to charge you...you get face on.

ok....lets put this another way...

you buy a car from a mechanic, he tells you to take out his shop warrenty which if you pay for monthly he will fix your car free of charge. you decide not to take it, 3 months pass and your car breaks down, you go back to the garage and tell the mechanic how to fix your car... he says no i won't tell you how to fix it, i will fix it for you but i will charge you.

is there seriosuly only me that understands a mechanic will not tell you how to fix your vehicle taking away work and pay from him, when he offered you a protection policy in the first place. Same with pcworld...you expect the engineers to tell you how to sort your item out free of charge just because you bought it from that shop yet refused their protection policy.

warrenties to do not cover for user incompetance - by this i mean as you have said getting your head round windows 8- you are not fully compitant on using it and have messed up you pc. your warrenty on the machine will not cover you if you install software..it knackers up your pc etc. but the policy in pcworld does.

the problem with these warrenties i see is as follows....

9 times out of 10 you do not want the policy because you will be using copied versions of programmes, you will be illegally downloading films/songs etc and you know for a fact if these items are on your pc there is every chance of you being reported for piracy.

So please dont keep banging on about useless warrenties, when you are willing to break the law and not pay the standard price for software when you would rather illegally download, stream or install the same copy your friends have to save you money.

Just to add my few pennorth'!

Went into PCWorld Meadowhall Retail tonight to buy a graphics card. Explained probs I'd been having with my existing graphics card - had been bought with PC over 5 years ago, recently started to go funny (long story - kids downloading virus' etc.,) Had recently started to whirr pretty badly, so decided to upgrade and replace.

After I told the sales assistant my 'story' and I asked him if he thought things would be ok, he immediately (without hesitation) said 'sounds like you need to upgrade your PC.' No, I just want some advice about the two graphics cards I was deliberating over. He replied 'a chap has been back 4 tiimes in the last 5 years to upgrade his PC, has gone over to a Mac now. You should take a look at our deals.' He started to walk off in the direction of, I assume, the Macs. No, I just want some advice...

The reply was 'they don't build them to last thesedays. You've been lucky. 5 years. Wow. I think you've reached the point where you should upgrade your PC.'

Thanks. I bought the graphics card I had originally considered, took it home, replaced it, installed the drivers from the CD, downloaded the latest drivers from the manufacturers web site and....

Amazingly, despite the expert advice, everything works.

New card = £30

Upgrade to Mac - who the f**k knows - never bothered to find out.

Sales assistants - emphasis on 'sales'.