What Vegetarian Dish would you most like in a Pub?

Most Veggie Dishes in pubs are samey, boring and usually leave me disappointed. I'd be interested to know what fellow veggies would like to see on a pub menu as a veggie option.....and where I can find it!!

Thanks!

I'm not a veggy although me and the wife have about 3 veggy meals a week and will sometimes choose veggy when we're dining out if it looks interesting.

In winter I'd enjoy a hearty bean stew - or if the cooking more adventurous the sort of thing Yotam Ottolenghi has been doing in the Guardian like this curry roasted root vegetables http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2013/jan/25/root-vegetables-lamb-pie-recipe .

In summer I often wish I could get a properly dressed salad nicoise or similar.

And good quality bread please - and a decent cheeseboard.

Vegetable lasagne with mushrooms and butternut squash

I'm with you on that one, Longcol.

An enormous salad with a bit of imagination, instead of the usual leaves and tomato eg frisee lettuce, red onion, cucumber, fresh basil, black olives, baby plum tomatoes, capers, cannelini beans etc etc and a choice of dressings on the side. And to go with it a dish of parmesan curls and a basket of warm, wholemeal rolls and butter. Where? Only my house, that I know of. And possibly Longcol's.

Hand made pizzas rather than shop bought, shrink wrapped ones. Decent cheese topping, not plastic rubbish but goats' cheese and others with a bit of flavour. Similarly, proper mushrooms like porcini rather than the bland tasteless ones.

Some pasta with tomato and cheese or maybe a quiche.

I jest of course. But so many places have no imagination whatsoever. The Blue Moon does lovely veggie dishes and they are very simple really, aubergines cooked in a full flavoured sauce, pies and crumbles with different vegetables, slow baked dishes of potato, herbs, cream etc it's not rocket science really.

We're going to Edinburgh soon and will be visiting David Bann .

OK it's not pub grub but it shows what can be done with some thought.

I did a dish last week of squash, chick peas, spinach and walnuts and it was lovely. Fennel and pumpkin lasagne is delicious and is the sort of thing a pub could easily do.

There are so many veggie recipe books out there that no-one should ever have to face penne with sauce or quiche ever again.

Caponata....

A good tarka dahl....and rice

A big salad with goats cheese and beetroot with roasted parsnip chips

Marinara pizza Naples style and Peroni

All nice and simple

Probably the best vegetarian pub meals I can think of in Sheffield at the moment are in the Broadie - it's not on the current menu sadly, but their veggie chorizo with mash is lovely. The Rutland usually have interesting veggie options too. For me anywhere that gives me a little bit of choice is a winner; there's nothing worse than when there's only one veggie option on a menu.

My bugbear is when places label stuff as being vegetarian when it's clearly not - the group with the Cricket Inn and the Inn at Troway are big offenders in this respect.

Large flat mushrooms stuffed with nut roast mixture and covered in bread crumbs roasted in the oven .Delicious .

Large flat mushrooms stuffed with nut roast mixture and covered in bread crumbs roasted in the oven .Delicious .

I went to a pub in Cumbria that did similar. Unfortunately they charged £11 for ONE mushroom with a side salad. When asked if the side salad could be replaced with chips, because the person I was with was hungry, we were told that the chef wouldn't put chips with it because "it comes with salad".

I went to a pub in Cumbria that did similar. Unfortunately they charged £11 for ONE mushroom with a side salad. When asked if the side salad could be replaced with chips, because the person I was with was hungry, we were told that the chef wouldn't put chips with it because "it comes with salad".

Whenever I get told that "chef won't allow" I always ask to speak to the chef and, surprisingly, "chef" changes his mind. I suspect that what the serving staff mean is either "I can't be bothered" or "I'm scared of chef".

You should try Tofu (otherwise known as beancurd) in blackbean sauce, its a south asian meat substitute and most chineese places do it.