Please do not feed foxes !!

Precisely what I thought .

good god, where do you people get off telling total strangers how to live their lives.

If someone wants to leave a door open its upto them - or are you implying the parents did it and faked the scratches on the face and body too?

good god, where do you people get off telling total strangers how to live their lives.

If someone wants to leave a door open its upto them

I don't think anyone is actually "telling" people how to live their lives. They're just wondering why a door was wide open in the winter and pondering on the fact that if you do leave a door wide open and unattended for long enough, then don't be surprised if something/someone comes through it uninvited.

Edited by irenewilde

I heard on the news that the child had 'lodged' it's hand inside the foxes mouth..

Another ridiculous comment here, so you actually think a 4 week old baby lodged its own hand inside a foxes mouth. Good grief are you on drugs? :help:

How would anyone know that when the mother didn't even see it happen!!

Another ridiculous comment here, so you actually think a 4 week old baby lodged its own hand inside a foxes mouth.

While we're on the subject of "improbable happenings" - I'm still trying to work out how the fox managed to climb up the side of the cot and drag the baby out without the combined weight of them pulling the cot over completely. And if it pulled out the baby just by its one hand I'd have expected the injuries to be a lot more severe than they were.

No. Why should it be?

So you have just made up the fact that there may have been "a vicious pet dog somewhere that's suddenly been spirited away" . Honestly some of the comments on here are just so ridiculous, take a long hard look at yourselves for goodness sake :help:

---------- Post added 11-02-2013 at 15:54 ----------

While we're on the subject of "improbable happenings" - I'm still trying to work out how the fox managed to climb up the side of the cot and drag the baby out without the combined weight of them pulling the cot over completely. And if it pulled out the baby just by its one hand I'd have expected the injuries to be a lot more severe than they were.

Stop trying to work anything out, its an impossible task you've taken on, or can't you grasp that :help:

as a child my cousin had a fox as a pet ..it never left the property for years even tho he could if he wanted.. and as a child myself i trusted this fox ...until it turned on the hand that fed it one day ...LESSON LEARNED THANK YOU !!! some people actually entice these WILD ANIMALS into there home and feed them from dogbowls :loopy: :loopy: :loopy:

Any animal can bite. We have been putting a few bits out for the fox for years. She keeps her distance and rightly so. Its not the fault of the fox. People in cities dump rubbish and the foxes breed as a result - so do rats.

If the food wasn't available there would not be so many any foxes.

This issue of food being dumped in the streets has got worse since the 1980s, when fast food and 24 hour eating bcame a reality; its a bit late now to turn around and blame the fox.

I am very sorry for this baby. I have three children myself - my first thought was, why was the door/window left open? If a fox can get in unheard, so can a cat, and that could have also killed the baby - if it lay in its cot and went to sleep.

So you have just made up the fact that there may have been "a vicious pet dog somewhere that's suddenly been spirited away" . :help:

Oh dear. Can you try and concentrate on the word "wonder" as used in my post? Meaning "questioning" and "speculative" and in no way meaning "fact". Therefore I have not made up a fact.

Still, you're good with silly smilies aren't you?

Stop trying to work anything out, its an impossible task you've taken on, or can't you grasp that :help:

I always find it best to question improbable sounding stories peddled by questionable newspapers, or from any other source. It's so much better than being guillable & believing everything that you're told.

---------- Post added 11-02-2013 at 16:15 ----------

If a fox can get in unheard, so can a cat, and that could have also killed the baby - if it lay in its cot and went to sleep.

NOW we're into the realms of improbability. A cat?? Really??? How, exactly? Surely no-one is still touting the old wives tale of cats smothering babies by sleeping on them?

Another ridiculous comment here, so you actually think a 4 week old baby lodged its own hand inside a foxes mouth. Good grief are you on drugs? :help:

How would anyone know that when the mother didn't even see it happen!!

My post was not a 'ridiculous' comment :rolleyes:

It is a quote from the News report. If you want to call anyone ridiculous email the BBC.

Now grow up and stop trying to start arguments without even thinking it through first.

As for supposedly no one seeing what happened - then how does anyone know it was a fox in the first place?

The whole situation is then speculative, is it not?

Regardless, there are clearly safeguarding issues here with this child.

It is clearly not responsible practice in Winter to have a door left open to the elements with a 4 week old baby.

What with the door and the child being unsupervised - tisk tisk indeed.

However, that is not a topic for the pet owners section - if people want to discuss it further in regards to the family themselves they need to make another thread in a more appropriate sub-section of the forum.

Edited by Elizabeth13

Oh dear. Can you try and concentrate on the word "wonder" as used in my post? Meaning "questioning" and "speculative" and in no way meaning "fact". Therefore I have not made up a fact.

Still, you're good with silly smilies aren't you?

I always find it best to question improbable sounding stories peddled by questionable newspapers, or from any other source. It's so much better than being guillable & believing everything that you're told.

---------- Post added 11-02-2013 at 16:15 ----------

NOW we're into the realms of improbability. A cat?? Really??? How, exactly? Surely no-one is still touting the old wives tale of cats smothering babies by sleeping on them?

Are you seriously telling me that a cat would not go to sleep in a babies crib? Of course it would - just the same that it would lie down on any cushion, jumper or any thing left lying around the house.

George Cohen pediatrician

Although your cat may be perfectly gentle, clean, and loving, it's really not safe or sanitary to let him sleep with your baby.

No matter how mild mannered, if your cat were startled or frightened, he could accidentally scratch your baby. If he's snuggly, he may cuddle too close to your baby's face and suffocate her. And even if your cat is well groomed, he can still carry diseases, fleas, and ticks.

So keep your cat out of your baby's bed at all times.

Edited by Glennis

My post was not a 'ridiculous' comment :rolleyes:

It is a quote from the News report. If you want to call anyone ridiculous email the BBC.

Now grow up and stop trying to start arguments without even thinking it through first.

As for supposedly no one seeing what happened - then how does anyone know it was a fox in the first place?

The whole situation is then speculative, is it not?

Regardless, there are clearly safeguarding issues here with this child.

It is clearly not responsible practice in Winter to have a door wide open to the elements with a 4 week old baby.

The mother went to save her baby from the fox it doesn't mean she saw it happen does it? I didn't see that report could you post a link to the News report you read.

The mother went to save her baby from the fox it doesn't mean she saw it happen does it? I didn't see that report could you post a link to the News report you read.

I didn't read, I watched it. You know.. On TV, where the news regularly appears.

It was Saturday's 7pm BBC news, if you want to be specific.

In Elizabeth13's defence I also saw the report where an "expert" stated that they though the baby's hand became accidentally lodged in the foxes mouth and the damage was done as the fox was trying to get away. I think they were trying to hypothesize that the fox was sniffing/licking the baby in search of food and an attack was not intentional.

With regards to the doors being wide open I look at it this way - if a fox could get in unnoticed then so could a person. My doors and windows are locked at night (and during the day for that matter), unless I am in that particular room then I can keep an eye on my property. I have heard reports of people being burgled whilst sat in the room next door and they've not known anything about it until their purse or car keys are gone. It's a sad fact, but it is simply not safe to leave doors wide open at night. The risk from other humans however is far greater than from any species of wildlife!