Please do not feed foxes !!

I'm afraid peoples views on foxes will always be for or against with no in between,i supose it depends what your experiences have been.....

Surely where children are concerned with any animal common sense,must be used.....

I know someone who took on a fox cub where the mother had been killed,he lived to be 20 years old and was very tame....

Obviously in the wild they would never reach that age.....

I'm afraid peoples views on foxes will always be for or against with no in between,i supose it depends what your experiences have been.....

Surely where children are concerned with any animal common sense,must be used.....

I know someone who took on a fox cub where the mother had been killed,he lived to be 20 years old and was very tame....

Obviously in the wild they would never reach that age.....

I think I read somewhere that the average lifespan of a wild fox is about 3 years :(

I love foxes and if I see them it makes my night,but I would never try to encourage them into my house and if I thought that they might try to get in I would make sure that they didn't, they are wild animals when all said and done and not to be trusted.

What I don't get is why these foxes keep on nipping up peoples stairs...I know how hard it is for a dog to climb stairs that never did before, and why would it be attracted to upstairs, surely the places with food would be more attractive to it :confused:

Good point Moonbird! The first time Skye went upstairs, Nick had to carry her down :o it wasn't an easy task lol

I will be feeding the fox that comes on our garden every night just as usual tonight :):love:

I will be feeding the fox that comes on our garden every night just as usual tonight :):love:

So would I, but if I had young Children I would still be very careful, its just common sense really isn't it? :)

I do think peoples reactions in this thread have been very sad indeed.

I for one am a person who would shed a tear of joy if Wolves were re-introduced into Great Britain, as they once were before.

So to hear people react so ridiculously over a fox makes me despair a little. Great Britain is so sheltered with its wildlife in comparison to other countries.. (mountain lions, bears, wild boar, poisonous snakes/spiders/frogs, wilderbeast, tigers etc.etc.)

The foxes are more afraid of us then we are of them. I heard on the news that the child had 'lodged' it's hand inside the foxes mouth.. I highly doubt the fox did that to itself. As touched on earlier also, the fox wouldn't have ripped its finger off just to chuck it aside if it was an attack like that - more of the child would have been injured. As it reports the child is fine, on a normal ward and finger back and intact.

I am sure if the fox meant to actually 'attack' and do intended harm, then the ending would have been quite different for the child.

I love foxes and if I see them it makes my night,but I would never try to encourage them into my house and if I thought that they might try to get in I would make sure that they didn't, they are wild animals when all said and done and not to be trusted.

Same here, beautiful creatures. They are wild animals though and shouldn't be encouraged to see humans as their friends. There needs to be a healthy respect from both sides for the animals' sake as much as anything.

Wild animals are normally afraid of human contact, and it's when those barriers are broken down that problems start.

It is extremely rare for a fox to attack unless it feels threatened. There are lots of urban foxes around and attacks are very few and far between. To be fair you are more likely to be attacked by someone else's dog!! The fox hunting Tory scum will no doubt run with this until they get what they have wanted all along....the reintroduction of fox hunting!

We build on green belt land and invade nature, we have to accept that we are going to come into contact with wildlife. We are destroying their habitats and forcing them into ours.

If you want to totally protect your children put screens up at doors and windows, the air can get in but unwanted guests can't

for crying out loud, DO NOT open your Patio doors for a wild animal to come in :loopy:

and they arent too bold generally, unless they have become habitually exposed to feed :huh: Maybe not by the family, but Neighbours.

People do not leave your property open. windows open are quite apt in this weather ;)

I

The foxes are more afraid of us then we are of them. I heard on the news that the child had 'lodged' it's hand inside the foxes mouth.. I highly doubt the fox did that to itself. As touched on earlier also, the fox wouldn't have ripped its finger off just to chuck it aside if it was an attack like that - more of the child would have been injured. As it reports the child is fine, on a normal ward and finger back and intact.

I am sure if the fox meant to actually 'attack' and do intended harm, then the ending would have been quite different for the child.

have a word with yourself, seriously thats the stupidest thing anyones said - ever.

for crying out loud, DO NOT open your Patio doors for a wild animal to come in :loopy:

and they arent too bold generally, unless they have become habitually exposed to feed :huh: Maybe not by the family, but Neighbours.

People do not leave your property open. windows open are quite apt in this weather ;)

Problem seems to be that they HAVE become exposed to humans - too much, they're becoming tamer, and less fearless. Not a good situation. If there wasn't so much rubbish for them to feed off and people didn't treat them as cute "pets" then they'd be more likely to stay wary.

We shouldn't need to barricade ourselves up against foxes. Now, opportunist burglars, that's a different matter.......

ps - there's a bit on BBC news this morning - Chris Packham warning against the over-taming of foxes.

Apparently the fox came in through an open door and then found it's way upstairs. Why, at this time of year, would you have not only back door but also door to babys bedroom open? Then fox came into house without being noticed. Sounds a bit strange

Precisely what I thought ... should we await the hunting fraternity now extolling the virtues of hunting?