Cbt test help!!

I didn't even get out on the road with them. They weren't in the slightest bit interested in helping me with my clutch control in the car park but spent all the time with the teenage lads on the same course

A CBT is a certificate to say you are proficient enough to ride a motorbike alone on a public road . If you couldn't master the clutch control in the practice carpark I would say the company are correct in not letting you out onto the main roads. You'd be a danger to yourself and other road users.

A CBT is a certificate to say you are proficient enough to ride a motorbike alone on a public road . If you couldn't master the clutch control in the practice carpark I would say the company are correct in not letting you out onto the main roads. You'd be a danger to yourself and other road users.

No but they could have given her a scooter.

funny thing is if you pass your cbt on an automatic scooter you are still allowed to ride a 125 geared bike with l plates.

I absolutely agree with you. My point is that if they'd shown me how I'd have got it. After all, I went to ATB and passed.

Not only that but I went on to do my DAS and passed with no faults. The examiner said it was an outstanding ride.

Difference in instructors I'd say.

Edited by Pixie824

true to certain extent, but when you go to a cbt, the instructor are supposed to teach you all this before you go on the road... extra time with the student who is struggling should be given- bike safe do not do this. ive had bad experaince with bikesafe and their lets take more money before you go on the road.

ATB on the other hand when i decided i wanted to learn after my husband finally passed with ATB not bikesafe...

i told ATB i was scared- never rode a bike in my life..what did they do?

they got me on a bike on the paddock, talked me through everything so i could understand...watched me ride round.... taught me clutch work built up my confidence and they did this FREE of charge. i went on to do my cbt and passed first time.

they stick with their students and even when people have passed theys till come back to have a cuppa and a chat to the staff aswell as students. the atmosphere is fun and friendly, they have nights out and invite every student past and present. they have rideouts with past students too, they DO NOT take money then forget about you.

if you are struggling on one particular thing they will take that half day or full day depending on you getting it down to a fine art and work on that particular thing until you have mastered it.

My husband went through bike safe- spent £2000 failed his mod1 for being cautious, went to another school in barnsley- failed his mod1 for being undercautious. went to ATB..... passed mod1 and mod2.

My husband went through bike safe- spent £2000 failed his mod1 for being cautious, went to another school in barnsley- failed his mod1 for being undercautious. went to ATB..... passed mod1 and mod2.

I knew they were pricey but £2000?! Cost me well under a grand to do it with ATB!

cbt - compulsory bike test

It's actually compulsory basic training. I'd have thought you'd know that after 3 of them. It's not a test. I've done 4 myself, before passing my full test. If you show an understanding of how the bike works, and a reasonable degree of control and road sense, there shouldn't be a problem getting the certificate. The 2 people I've seen get asked to do another day were a serious danger to themselves and other road users (one at ATB, the other at KK rider training btw). First one ran a red light then changed lanes on a dual carriageway without checking mirrors or shoulder checking, second had zero sense of balance and couldn't ride 20 meters without veering sideways

Edited by slh73

It's actually compulsory basic training. I'd have thought you'd know that after 3 of them. It's not a test. I've done 4 myself, before passing my full test. If you show an understanding of how the bike works, and a reasonable degree of control and road sense, there shouldn't be a problem getting the certificate. The 2 people I've seen get asked to do another day were a serious danger to themselves and other road users (one at ATB, the other at KK rider training btw). First one ran a red light then changed lanes on a dual carriageway without checking mirrors or shoulder checking, second had zero sense of balance and couldn't ride 20 meters without veering sideways

I know what you're saying, but it kinda is a test isn't it? I mean, you have to ride to an acceptable level and gain a certificate to be allowed to ride on the road. And if you get pulled over you have to prove that you have this certificate. It's not a case of well I didn't pass but it doesn't matter cos it's not a test, I'll still ride out. Although it seems that some people (mostly razzing up and down my road) do have that attitude :o

true to certain extent, but when you go to a cbt, the instructor are supposed to teach you all this before you go on the road... extra time with the student who is struggling should be given- bike safe do not do this. ive had bad experaince with bikesafe and their lets take more money before you go on the road.

ATB on the other hand when i decided i wanted to learn after my husband finally passed with ATB not bikesafe...

i told ATB i was scared- never rode a bike in my life..what did they do?

they got me on a bike on the paddock, talked me through everything so i could understand...watched me ride round.... taught me clutch work built up my confidence and they did this FREE of charge. i went on to do my cbt and passed first time.

they stick with their students and even when people have passed theys till come back to have a cuppa and a chat to the staff aswell as students. the atmosphere is fun and friendly, they have nights out and invite every student past and present. they have rideouts with past students too, they DO NOT take money then forget about you.

if you are struggling on one particular thing they will take that half day or full day depending on you getting it down to a fine art and work on that particular thing until you have mastered it.

What do you mean true to a certain extent ? You answer your own question in that you needed one on one lessons to gain the confidence to ride a bike. The CBT is designed to make sure you have some knowledge of the Highway Code and have mastered the basics needed to ride alone on a public road. If you've never sat on a bike until the day of your CBT or driven a car you're always going to struggle to pass the course in a day. It takes a while just to master the basic balance , clutch, sensitivity of the brakes , where the indicators are located etc. plus if you've never driven at all on public roads the hugely daunting task of riding in traffic, tackling roundabouts , cars cutting you up when you ride to slow or positioned wrong on the road. Which is why you and possibly some of the other posters in this thread found it so much easier second time round. It is expensive to pass your full bike test though these days like you said. I'm led to believe the tests are altering again soon to make it even more difficult to pass. Which to me is wrong , and some people never bother doing it but just keep re taking thier CBT's every couple of years.

What do you mean true to a certain extent ? You answer your own question in that you needed one on one lessons to gain the confidence to ride a bike. The CBT is designed to make sure you have some knowledge of the Highway Code and have mastered the basics needed to ride alone on a public road. If you've never sat on a bike until the day of your CBT or driven a car you're always going to struggle to pass the course in a day. It takes a while just to master the basic balance , clutch, sensitivity of the brakes , where the indicators are located etc. plus if you've never driven at all on public roads the hugely daunting task of riding in traffic, tackling roundabouts , cars cutting you up when you ride to slow or positioned wrong on the road. Which is why you and possibly some of the other posters in this thread found it so much easier second time round. It is expensive to pass your full bike test though these days like you said. I'm led to believe the tests are altering again soon to make it even more difficult to pass. Which to me is wrong , and some people never bother doing it but just keep re taking thier CBT's every couple of years.

Yes, the tests are altering again, and as far as I know they're stopping people retaking CBT's like that. Which means those that just want a cheap commuter bike are going to have to shell out for the full test anyway. I reckon they need to start teaching car drivers more awareness of bikes, whether thats motorbikes or cyclists.

Everyone has their own opinions though, some think all bikers are hooligans and some think car drivers are oblivious.

I'm led to believe the tests are altering again soon to make it even more difficult to pass. Which to me is wrong , and some people never bother doing it but just keep re taking thier CBT's every couple of years.

It changed on Jan 19th. Whereas before you could do a CBT, buy yourself a 125cc bike and ride for a bit, then put yourself through the test without shelling out for a riding school, and get a license that restricts you to 33BHP for 2 years then ride what you want(as I and many others did), under the new rule if you take a test on a 125, youre stuck riding a 125 until you retake both parts of the test on a bigger bike. The minimum age for the restricted test and the DAS has also been increased, from 17 and 21 to 19 and 24.

under the new rule if you take a test on a 125, youre stuck riding a 125 until you retake both parts of the test on a bigger bike. The minimum age for the restricted test and the DAS has also been increased, from 17 and 21 to 19 and 24.

i do believe you only need to take 1 test to move up to the bigger bikes at 19. mod 1 and 2 for your first test and then the ones after that its just the mod 2.