First time buyer advice - Woodseats Rd

I lived on there for a while just parked the car half on half off after it got hit by a bus which kindly drove off. We were near ulverston which was better for getting home in traffic as you avoided busy chesterfield rd. two big supermarkets and mill houses park easier to walk to

We had no problem selling at all even in the current conditions we had lots of offers but the house was like new inside.

Just watch out for water in the cellars, damp front walls and the roofs are nearly all at the end of their life a survey should pick all of those issues up.

Decent sized gardens and traffic noise not an issue with double glazing

numero uno, you were exactly right! Survey of a house i have offered and been accepted on has highlighted those three issues. plus a few others.

Roof needs inspecting as tiles have slipped/been repaired previously. Cellar is damp (no surprise there) but have been advised to investigate damp/rot in the floor joists further. I suspect this is caused by the poor ventilation caused by blocked vents into the cellar. Im hoping these are just blocked by dirt and easy to clear as they are visible on the outside of the house.

I have to admit it didn't look too much like a problem when i viewed the house, but i'll organise an independant damp/timber surveyor to check it thoroughly.

As an aside, numero uno, would your company carry out an inspection of the gas and electric installations? Survey said these did not appear to have been tested or serviced in the last 10 years so i'd wanna get them checked. Please PM me with details of price if you are available to do the work.

How far up did you go?

To be honest surveyors over play to cover their own backs we are incredibly busy at the minute but there is a good sparky on woodseats rd called nilec give him a call for the cert

Hope it all goes well

How far up did you go?

To be honest surveyors over play to cover their own backs we are incredibly busy at the minute but there is a good sparky on woodseats rd called nilec give him a call for the cert

Hope it all goes well

It was towards the bottom of Woodseats Rd in the end! Chose the house because i liked the garden and also factors like the lease length and no easements over the poperty. Just some niggly things came out of the survey. I hope they are just the surveyor covering his own back, but i'll have them ckecked out just in case.

My solicitor is currently ascertaining if the gas/electric services have been tested/serviced before i commit to sending someone round and paying for it myself. I guess these are just the frustrations of buying a house?

Although looking at the survey results the things highlighted are making me worry that the vendor hasn't done much in the way of property maintanance since buying it themselves... a bit of a worry.

Thanks for the recommendation for the sparky. Will keep that in mind for the future!

I've also worked in lots of them if its 120 the boundary has had it cos of the weight at the back

I've also worked in lots of them if its 120 the boundary has had it cos of the weight at the back

It's not 120, but it's a few down from there. Survey didn't come up with anything about the boundaries. Is 120 the end of the terrace going up the hill? Survey only said that the brick wall to the side of the garden that separates it from next door would need maintaining but it's not falling down, it just some bricks missing off the top. Im planning a full garden make over (if indeed i go ahead with the purchase after the damp surveyor's been and other stuff) so thats not a problem as long as the neighbour agrees to repairs...

How did this pan out in the end?

Fine, in the end. Got a reduction in the price due to the amount of work needed. The whole suspended timber floor needed to be replaced, & a few things like the pointing & roof repair. But i got some quotes before i signed & it was still cheaper to buy this house & do it up than buy one that was already done out.

Its very quiet for a main road! Especially at night. I dont notice the traffic noise at all, but thats probably because i am used to it from growing up in a similar house. Parking late at night isnt a big problem if you're not bothered about parking right outside your own front door.

Im happy i bought it, even if the building work has took some serious patience!