Three Valleys beer festival 2013 - Saturday 8th June

Steel City at Castle Inn. Crikey! Might have to venture there for first time in a few years!

Change to the food offering at the Coach & Horses. The BBQ is replaced with a festival snack menu:

Chicken wings & BBQ dip £4.50

Chilli & garlic bread £4.00

Mini fish and chips £4.00

Hot roast pork sandwich £4.00

Cheeseburger £3.60

Garlic mushrooms £3.00

Fish finger butty £3.50

Sausage sandwich £2.50

Chips & Cheese £1.50

Chip butty £1.20

I can't wait it's one of the events I look forward to every year and its always around the same time as my birthday. I was excited about it but after visiting the Three Tuns on Saturday and speaking to Dave I got even more excited. Lets hope the weather is better this year so I might be more tempted to try a few more places and not just camped in the coach all day like last year!

The beer list looks really good at the Three Tuns especially some of the Liverpool beers, I might have to visit the Castle if they have a Steel City on.

The Coach & Horses are due to publish their beer list next week, the only brewery I know is on it other than Thornbridge is Roosters.

The Jolly Farmer should be releasing their list in the next few days too. I genuinely don't know what is on it but the latest conjecture I heard involved some interesting flavoured beers from Wentworth.

Also still awaiting beer lists from Dronfield Arms (they are sourcing via RAW Brewery), Horns Inn (they are sourcing via Acorn Brewery), Rutland Arms (they are sourcing via Sheffield Brewery) and Hearty Oak (not heard anything for certain but may be sourcing via Blue Bee Brewery).

Barlow Brewery I haven't had the beer list for yet either although it is expected that Anastasia Imperial Russian Stout and Three Valleys IPA will be involved...

---------- Post added 20-05-2013 at 12:33 ----------

BEER LIST - HORNS INN

Acorn Brewery of Barnsley:

YORKSHIRE PRIDE ABV 3.7%

Very pale session bitter, well hopped with Challenger and Savinjski Hops.

BARNSLEY BITTER ABV 3.8%

Chestnut in colour, having a well rounded, rich flavour,it retains a lasting bitter finish.

BLONDE ABV 4%

A beautifully balanced pale ale with a crisp clean finish.

BARNSLEY GOLD ABV 4.3%

Fresh citrus aroma and good bitterness levels. Fruit and hops carry throughout.Crisp, dry and well hopped.

OLD MOOR PORTER ABV 4.4%

A full bodied Victorian style porter with hints of liquorice. The initial bitterness gives way to a smooth, mellow finish.

GORLOVKA IMPERIAL STOUT ABV 6%

A deep malt and hoppy aroma with liquorice throughout. Roast malts, fruit and hops also carry through this full-bodied stout.

TUNSTALL CROSS 4.5%

Light golden bitter with a caramalt biscuity background and a refreshing citrus, spicy, floral aroma.

UK CASCADE 5%

7th in a second series of European IPA's. Rich golden coloured ale, intense but rounded with citrus peel, orange, tangerine, floral, pine and lychee aromas.

SCORCHER 4.5%

Light golden bitter, sweet malt and a fruity, spicy hop aroma, finished with a hint of strawberry.

Guests

Wolf Brewery Norfolk

LAVENDER HONEY 3.7% pale

Honey from The Norfolk Lavender Company is added during the brewing process to give this beer a delicate yet more-ish flavour.

Allgates Brewery Wigan

NAPOLEON'S RETREAT 3.9% chestnut

Easy drinking full flavoured bitter

Hereford Brewery

HLA HEREFORD LIGHT ALE 4% pale

A crisp, light and refreshing made with Herefordshire hops

FOOD AT THE HORNS INN

A change to what was previously advertised - Yuleys Bratwurst are no longer able to bring their stall to Three Valleys so instead the Horns will be serving homemade chilli (choice of meat version or four bean chilli for veggies) served with a choice of jacket potato or nachos.

FOR THE CIDER DRINKERS AT THE HORNS...

Woodthorpe Hall Rubie Suzie (10.2% ABV) - made in Holmesfield!

Mr Whitehead's Blackberry Cider (4% ABV)

---------- Post added 20-05-2013 at 17:33 ----------

and beers at the Jolly Farmer...

Sheffield Brewery IPA

Kelham Island Crimson Steel

Kelham Island Bohemian Rhapsody

Kelham Island Easy Rider

Wentworth Full Malty

Wentworth Chocolate & Chilli Stout

Wentworth Black Zac

Cottage Deltic Gold

Navigator IPA Classic

Navigator Circinus

Ossett Mellow Yellow

Maxium Maximus

Swedish Blonde

Acorn Tuster Croft

That's a very good developing beer list for those of us who like our beers 5%+.

I'm liking the look of the Three Tuns, plenty to go at there and Gorlovka and Maximus are also another two of our favourites.

No doubt the Coach & Horses will once again have an outstanding selection.

It's a shame I've got to be in Wakefield by 10am the following morning, that means I'll probably have to stop drinking between 8pm and 9pm.......although 7 hours should be enough to sample 4 or 5 pubs.

Regards

Doom

Heya Andy, are you still lookig for bands, and are the venues paying?

That's a very good developing beer list for those of us who like our beers 5%+.

I'm liking the look of the Three Tuns, plenty to go at there and Gorlovka and Maximus are also another two of our favourites.

No doubt the Coach & Horses will once again have an outstanding selection.

It's a shame I've got to be in Wakefield by 10am the following morning, that means I'll probably have to stop drinking between 8pm and 9pm.......although 7 hours should be enough to sample 4 or 5 pubs.

Regards

Doom

Sympathies but I`m trying to figure how to fit it around the latter stages of marathon training. :huh:

Sympathies but I`m trying to figure how to fit it around the latter stages of marathon training. :huh:

The things we have to go through to enjoy ourselves. :hihi:

I see the Dronfield Arms is also on the beer list now and has a couple of 5%+ beers to choose from.....We're going to be spoiled for choice.

Whilst the University beer festival seems to decline year on year, this one seems to go from strength to strength. Certainly the best line up of beers I've seen so far at the Three Valleys.

Regards

Doom

Heya Andy, are you still lookig for bands, and are the venues paying?

Hi Scozzie,

the venues are all sorting out their own entertainment, I assume they are paying for at least some of the bands.

The Horns, Dronfield Arms and Coach & Horses have got their music line up finalised, probably no harm in asking the others if you are looking for a gig - Barlow Brewery are hosting an all day music festival so may be a good one to approach, Hearty Oak may also be a possibility.

---------- Post added 22-05-2013 at 18:06 ----------

The things we have to go through to enjoy ourselves. :hihi:

I see the Dronfield Arms is also on the beer list now and has a couple of 5%+ beers to choose from.....We're going to be spoiled for choice.

Whilst the University beer festival seems to decline year on year, this one seems to go from strength to strength. Certainly the best line up of beers I've seen so far at the Three Valleys.

Regards

Doom

Hi Doom,

The list is developing quite nicely, I'm quite pleased with that. The beers on the list for the Dronfield Arms is what I've been advised so far, I believe there are more to be added yet.

Still awaiting the Coach & Horses - I know Thornbridge and Roosters will be on the list, don't know what other breweries will be there.

Others I am awaiting include the Rutland which will be mainly Sheffield Brewery and the Hearty Oak which I've heard may involve beers from Toolmakers brewery. Also awaiting info from the Miners which is normally more an 'old favourites' type line up from the Punch Taverns list with some random interesting local beer added into the mix.

The Dronfield Arms will also have a selection of traditional ciders which is being sourced by the same guy that organised the highly praised cider bar at Barrow Hill Rail Ale Festival.

Oh and I can confirm the Steel City Angel of Death will be at the Castle Inn, it is now in their cellar!

Edited by Andy C

Hi Scozzie,

the venues are all sorting out their own entertainment, I assume they are paying for at least some of the bands.

The Horns, Dronfield Arms and Coach & Horses have got their music line up finalised, probably no harm in asking the others if you are looking for a gig - Barlow Brewery are hosting an all day music festival so may be a good one to approach, Hearty Oak may also be a possibility.

---------- Post added 22-05-2013 at 18:06 ----------

Hi Doom,

The list is developing quite nicely, I'm quite pleased with that. The beers on the list for the Dronfield Arms is what I've been advised so far, I believe there are more to be added yet.

Still awaiting the Coach & Horses - I know Thornbridge and Roosters will be on the list, don't know what other breweries will be there.

Others I am awaiting include the Rutland which will be mainly Sheffield Brewery and the Hearty Oak which I've heard may involve beers from Toolmakers brewery. Also awaiting info from the Miners which is normally more an 'old favourites' type line up from the Punch Taverns list with some random interesting local beer added into the mix.

The Dronfield Arms will also have a selection of traditional ciders which is being sourced by the same guy that organised the highly praised cider bar at Barrow Hill Rail Ale Festival.

Oh and I can confirm the Steel City Angel of Death will be at the Castle Inn, it is now in their cellar!

Andy please tell me more about the Angel of Death it sounds like I might have to have a short stroll up twentywell to the castle for my starting point before heading to the coach or three tuns

Andy please tell me more about the Angel of Death it sounds like I might have to have a short stroll up twentywell to the castle for my starting point before heading to the coach or three tuns

From Dave Unpronounceable of Steel City Brewing:

Angel of Death is named in tribute to legendary Slayer guitarist Jeff Hanneman, who tragically passed away earlier this month. The beer itself has Steel City's 'standard' mash of Low Colour Maris Otter and Wheat Malts, in this case followed by Columbus at first wort and Magnum at boil for 144IBU of bitterness. Flavour comes from a blend of Galaxy and Mosaic, in both leaf form in the copper and pellet form in the fermenter, plus a handful of leaves in the cask. Mosaic is a new American hop, a derivation of Simcoe, described by Gazza as tasting of Simcoe and strawberries!

From Dave Unpronounceable of Steel City Brewing:

Angel of Death is named in tribute to legendary Slayer guitarist Jeff Hanneman, who tragically passed away earlier this month. The beer itself has Steel City's 'standard' mash of Low Colour Maris Otter and Wheat Malts, in this case followed by Columbus at first wort and Magnum at boil for 144IBU of bitterness. Flavour comes from a blend of Galaxy and Mosaic, in both leaf form in the copper and pellet form in the fermenter, plus a handful of leaves in the cask. Mosaic is a new American hop, a derivation of Simcoe, described by Gazza as tasting of Simcoe and strawberries!

The only words I read were

Columbus.....Magnum....144IBU......Galaxy......Mosaic

That's stop number 1 confirmed for me