2p used to go a long way in the 70s

I too remember the 60s when Mars Bars were 4d, return train fare to school 6d. I used to walk the 3 miles home to save 3d so I could buy 3d worth of broken biscuits. I still have a Corgi Model T Ford from 1965 which cost 9/6d and a Rolls Royce Silver Ghost from 1966 which cost 15/-. (Unfortunately, I haven't kept the original pakaging as they would now be worth several hundred pounds.)

Doing my 11+ and my father giving me his RAF watch as a reward (It promptly stopped so he took it back).

Anyone remember TeleOptics? They cost about 19/11 and clipped on the front of the TV to give the impression of a larger screen. My father used to flog them out of the back of his car.

Lyons Maid ice cream machines outside of the Co-op where you could buy an ice cream for 3d.

And £5, an unheard of sum in those days, bought the family assisted passage to NZ.[/QUOT E] dont fergit the c in packaging

hey pitsmoorboy lol, i used to live up pitsmoor before i moved up here :)

i lived on holtwood road (near abbeyfield park) in two different houses and on earldom drive

Ilived on Earldom st during the war we kept pigs and next door had 12 cows

What about bags of ''mis-shapes ''. They were imperfect chocolates destined for Milk Tray etc. but because they were, well, mis-shapen they ended up in goldy coloured bags about the same size as a bag of sugar.

Both tasted the same in the gob though !

It's amazing how everything goes up in price over the years, I left school in 1958, my first wage as a shop assistant was £2 16 shillings, terrible ain't it.

found my contract for my first job in 1973. My yearly wage was the princely sum of £850.

darra, you must have been well paid. I started at Gleesons on Woodseats in 1973, all I got was £500 pa.

darra, you must have been well paid. I started at Gleesons on Woodseats in 1973, all I got was £500 pa.

I was mate worked out at around £16/week which was acouple of quid more than my mates.

yes! the good old videmat machines, i remember getting on the No 4 on cemetery rd at 8:05 to go to school, and we put in the old ring pulls as well, that was 1981-2ish.

the inspector always got on our bus tho!!

it was 2p to get to school. we bought polo's for 8p, whizzer and chips for 10p (the comic) or the dandy/beano for 6p!!

mini milks were 12p, and my nans favourite chewing gum was beech nut for 4p!!

we could get chips and scraps for 20p too!

Ahh, the good old days!!

When we were bored (quite often) we woould get on the No2 or 59 Circular bus and just go from one terminus to the other for 2p a go. My cousins who lived in lancashire couldn't believe it as they used to pay about 40p to go 2 stops! I also remember being able to buy chips and fish cake for 26p from Sulivans chippie (best chippie ever!).

Walkers Snaps, with a picture of a Dragon on! (Snap Dragon, geddit!) they were only 2p as Harry H Corbett used to point out on the Telly Ad!

b.t.w. Anj1364, love the avatar! sat and watched it for ages, very cute!

b.t.w. Anj1364, love the avatar! sat and watched it for ages, very cute!

Thanks ;) She is cute isn't she, and she looks even better dancing to music.:thumbsup:

In the 1930's you could get fish and chips for three hapence.I joined the Royal Navy in 1949, I was 161/2 my pay was 1/6 per day. You could get into Hillsborough or Bramhall for 1/6 in uniform, same as old age pensioners.

In the 1930's you could get fish and chips for three hapence.I joined the Royal Navy in 1949, I was 161/2 my pay was 1/6 per day. You could get into Hillsborough or Bramhall for 1/6 in uniform, same as old age pensioners.

Janner, you must be about 78 years old, is that about right,? that would make you one of the olderst forummers :thumbsup:

Wrong, Poppins, I'm a mere stripling of 74 !