Refused an ambulance

I'd say that was pretty spot on, yes.

I think this remark is quite offensive

Not really that surprising. They were checking for medical EMERGENCIES which may have manifested themselves in a swollen foot. That's assuming you didn't ring up and say "NHSD said I need to go to hospital in the next few hours, can I have an Ambulance please?".

Why did you feel the need to measure the distance?

And what were the doctors' comments exactly? The doctors only concern would be that upon discharge you would be able to cope on your own. How long were you in hospital for?

The distance was measured be cause I live in a sheltered housing complex where the residents are other than me in their 70/80's. The scheme manager is not allowed tto give physical assisstance due to health and safety issues. We are trying to get the scheme owners to help us set something in place for future issues like this.

The doctor was concerned that not only could I have fallen and injured myself further but that I could have also brought down the 84 year old gentleman who was trying to help me.

I don't know how old you are but would you like to have hopped that distance at my age.

I was actually at the hospital 5 hours.

I

dollypeg

I think you have misquoted me there, but never mind. You measured the distance because there are residents in their 80's. In what way does this relate to your problem exactly?

The doctor way well have been concerned, however his concern was likely just for the 84 year old who helped you.

What exactly are you going to have the "scheme owners" do? Place wheelchairs at strategic points along the corridor?

Total Posts: 539

Quote:

Originally Posted by dollypeg View Post

<snip>... with most people assuming that I am some malingerer who looks on ambulances as a method of free transport.

I'd say that was pretty spot on, yes.

dollypeg

I think you have misquoted me there, but never mind. You measured the distance because there are residents in their 80's. In what way does this relate to your problem exactly?

The doctor way well have been concerned, however his concern was likely just for the 84 year old who helped you.

What exactly are you going to have the "scheme owners" do? Place wheelchairs at strategic points along the corridor?

I did not misquote you, I copied and pasted your reply

The residents are concerned that they could face the same problems. If necessary the provision of at least one wheelchair would be a help.

as for the

As for the Doctors concerns I think he was genuinely concerned about both myself and my neighbour.

You often see them on TV taking drunks to hospital...

You would think on their salaries staff could stretch to a taxi.

This is what I like about SF, in amongst all my waffle is someone at the coal face who knows stuff. (unless you are a proffessional rubber necker in which case get a real job !!!!!). Should people make more use of Nhs direct then to let them assess if its urgent or not ? And should Nhs direct then get the ambulance in themselves rather than the less trained operators ?

My bold. It's difficult over a phone line to make that assessment - I called them once when my friend had stabbed himself with rusty barbed wire at the base of his thumb, to see if a tetanus injection needed to be done the same day or if it could wait until Monday. They told us to go to hospital to get it checked and have the injection.

The nurse in the minor injuries unit checked his thumb movement and gave the injection. I'd already tested movement, strength and sensation, and apparently tetanus can be given up to 3 days after possible infection, so it was a wasted trip really (i.e. we took up time that someone else may have needed) - are NHS Direct over-cautious?

My bold. It's difficult over a phone line to make that assessment - I called them once when my friend had stabbed himself with rusty barbed wire at the base of his thumb, to see if a tetanus injection needed to be done the same day or if it could wait until Monday. They told us to go to hospital to get it checked and have the injection.

The nurse in the minor injuries unit checked his thumb movement and gave the injection. I'd already tested movement, strength and sensation, and apparently tetanus can be given up to 3 days after possible infection, so it was a wasted trip really (i.e. we took up time that someone else may have needed) - are NHS Direct over-cautious?

Why was it a wasted trip ? Choose whenever he'd gone he'd be taking up time.

Don't get your point.

Don't get your point.

I see what you mean, but did we really need to go to A&E on a Saturday evening for that, when it could have waited until more services were open?

You often see them on TV taking drunks to hospital...

if someone is drunk enough to require Ambulance transport then they are life threateningly ill

there is also significant time and effort expended on alternatives to 999 in many towns and cities as part of the wider night time economy ...

---------- Post added 09-02-2013 at 11:36 ----------

Why would they be liable, they have all taken the hippocratic oath and as such are professionally dedicated and trained to take such decisions.

the hippocratic oath is a historical quirk and only ever applied to physicians

ambulance call takers ARE NOT Clinicians , they are bound to follow the decision support software

What do you think happens in case of a massive emergency? That the paramedics that arrive first wait until there are enough people there to ensure they are not liable?

the first crew at a major incident DO NOT treat , they follow the major incident guidelines and act as interim Ambulance Incident Officer and Interim Communication Officer until relieved by Officers / Managers

Don't get your point.

A&E traffic is very peaky, Friday and Saturday night are the busiest times of the week by far. By the sounds of it he could have gone to a minor injury clinic on Monday when it was nearly empty.

A&E traffic is very peaky, Friday and Saturday night are the busiest times of the week by far. By the sounds of it he could have gone to a minor injury clinic on Monday when it was nearly empty.

Or to his GP. If I'd known he could have waited for the tetanus jab...

I just didn't want to wake up the next morning and find him dead!

Or to his GP. If I'd known he could have waited for the tetanus jab...

I just didn't want to wake up the next morning and find him dead!

Ah yes, I get what you both mean now !!! Silly me, thinking head obviously wasn't on. :hihi:

It's not up to you if you have a ambulance anymore nhs direct use a system which rules you out Anything life threatening and decides on the best option for you we can not over ride this system it's a way of saving money