Refused an ambulance

I was talking to a biker paramedic a few years ago.He told me the problem they have is false alarms/prank calls.I think he said manor was worse for them,because of all the calls (whether real or fake) it is an area that most of the ambulances are sent to,to wait for a call.

I've only been in an ambulance once and if I could have avoided it I would have, I found it really embarrassing. I bet I looked fine to most people too when I was getting in it, they just hadn't seen me passing out and being unable to come round. Mine was an emergency otherwise my family would never ever have called for one.

I do think ambulances should be used just for complete emergencies, I've had the pain of having to hop to a&e before and I think it's just something we have to put up with.

What a can of worms I seem to have opened, with most people assuming that I am some malingerer who looks on ambulances as a method of free transport. The NHS operator did ask me questions regarding my symptoms, quite a few centreing on my bowels and bladder, I found this a bit strange when the problem was my foot. incidently a friend today measured the distance I had to hop, 87 yards, no mean feet for a 67 year old. incidently the doctor in A & E found my method of getting to hospital a little strange given the swelling and amount of pain I was in

What a can of worms I seem to have opened, with most people assuming that I am some malingerer who looks on ambulances as a method of free transport. The NHS operator did ask me questions regarding my symptoms, quite a few centreing on my bowels and bladder, I found this a bit strange when the problem was my foot. incidently a friend today measured the distance I had to hop, 87 yards, no mean feet for a 67 year old. incidently the doctor in A & E found my method of getting to hospital a little strange given the swelling and amount of pain I was in

I'm confused as to why you had someone measure the distance?

Unless you intend to make a complaint about this.

And I'm sure if you do complain you will be told that your condition did not warrant an EMERGENCY ambulance.

I'm interested in your personal opinion of what an ambulance should be used for?

Unfortunately there are far too many people who abuse the police/ambulance and expect to be treated to blue lights and sirens for the smallest of things.

The emergency services cannot be expected to come out and waste valuable resources on people who have non threatening emergencies.

I was reading the tweets of a particular police force the other day (can't remember which one, it was on the news) where people were ringing 999 because they'd forgotten a laptop password/ were not getting served quick enough in McDonald's !!

I would imagine the ambulance service get the same kind of calls, this is the reason that services are stretched.

If you had called your own dr and they felt that you needed to be in A+E they would have arranged you a non emergency ambulance- just like NHSD would have.

But only if they thought it was genuinely necessary.

As I understand dr's get charged for booking ambulance transport for their patients and so don't do it for anything other than situations where a patient needs to be with paramedics en route in case any thing serious should happen on the journey.

From reading all the posts on here the general consensus is that you did not need an EMERGENCY ambulance and that the service was justified in refusing you one.

Edited by dizzybird77
Spelling

<snip>... with most people assuming that I am some malingerer who looks on ambulances as a method of free transport.

I'd say that was pretty spot on, yes.

The NHS operator did ask me questions regarding my symptoms, quite a few centering on my bowels and bladder, I found this a bit strange when the problem was my foot.

Not really that surprising. They were checking for medical EMERGENCIES which may have manifested themselves in a swollen foot. That's assuming you didn't ring up and say "NHSD said I need to go to hospital in the next few hours, can I have an Ambulance please?".

incidently a friend today measured the distance I had to hop, 87 yards, no mean feet for a 67 year old. incidently the doctor in A & E found my method of getting to hospital a little strange given the swelling and amount of pain I was in

Why did you feel the need to measure the distance?

And what were the doctors' comments exactly? The doctors only concern would be that upon discharge you would be able to cope on your own. How long were you in hospital for?

Quote:

Originally Posted by maccapacca

Sounds like the operator made the right call. I'm sure they had better things to be doing. If every DVT arrived in hospital by ambulance we'd need significantly more ambulance crews.

my mum collapsed with a DVT when I was only 3, she suffered a stroke as a result of that leaving her paralised down the whole left hand side of her body, doctors said that she should not have survived and chances are that she would suffer another DVT within a month or 2 but she would not survive the next....she did not suffer another thankfully but she spent the rest of her life in a wheel chair unable to even take herself to the toilet or get up out of a chair...our childhood was so very difficult to say the least.

DVT`s are so very serious so your statement above is just...well, im just lost for words!

I hope you never have to find out how a DVT can destroy your whole family, but maybe you could just take it on the chin...its not that serious after all!

I think you're taking deliberate offence. There's plenty of serious conditions that don't routinely require a 999 ambulance. That doesn't mean they're not serious, just that they don't require immediate treatment. Some DVTs present with a pulmonary embolus. They definitely need immediate treatment and it sounds like that may have been the initial problem with your mother.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Which bit of what I said was claptrap? If you've any experience of DVTs other than what you've read on the Internet then you'll know that most are treated as an outpatient. You appear to be confusing a DVT with a PE. DVTs haven't been routinely admitted for the last decade.

I do not usually get into this sort of thing with members such as yourself as I find it tedious. I read the op's initial statement, if I was still in the Rotherham district I would expect the treatment scenario I listed to be the one carried out for this lady to reduce any further discomfort and complications.

I also stand by my statement that once again the helpline got it wrong and that this service will cost lives not save them.

As always I will read what people have to offer on this topic but I will not contribute to it again as I have stated my standpoint.

Aren't there non-emergency ambulances designed to transport people to the hospital? I don't pretend to know how quick you can arrange a lift but I know they exist.

I do not usually get into this sort of thing with members such as yourself as I find it tedious. I read the op's initial statement, if I was still in the Rotherham district I would expect the treatment scenario I listed to be the one carried out for this lady to reduce any further discomfort and complications.

I also stand by my statement that once again the helpline got it wrong and that this service will cost lives not save them.

As always I will read what people have to offer on this topic but I will not contribute to it again as I have stated my standpoint.

In this case, it seems they got it right.

I am 68 years of age very fit for my age, but last year I got out of bed to go to the toilet in the middle of the night, banged my foot on the bath side and broke my toe. The next morning I couldn't put my foot to the floor, I am a driver, but felt I couldn't drive with a broken toe. But I have to be honest I never thought of calling a ambulance I just rung a taxi and went to the outpatients at Northern General sat for a few hours, got attended to and then came back by ambulance just never thought of a ambulance at all.

---------- Post added 07-02-2013 at 20:09 ----------

That should read came back home by taxi

I am 68 years of age very fit for my age, but last year I got out of bed to go to the toilet in the middle of the night, banged my foot on the bath side and broke my toe. The next morning I couldn't put my foot to the floor, I am a driver, but felt I couldn't drive with a broken toe. But I have to be honest I never thought of calling a ambulance I just rung a taxi and went to the outpatients at Northern General sat for a few hours, got attended to and then came back by ambulance just never thought of a ambulance at all.

---------- Post added 07-02-2013 at 20:09 ----------

That should read came back home by taxi

The difference here being, you knew what had caused your injury. The OP didn't know what had caused her very painful swollen foot. It could have been anything from heart problem,circulatory,blood clot etc and she was obviously worried. I doubt she would call an ambulance if she had just knocked her foot. I too have done exactly the same thing as you, 3 times.

The difference here being, you knew what had caused your injury. The OP didn't know what had caused her very painful swollen foot. It could have been anything from heart problem,circulatory,blood clot etc and she was obviously worried. I doubt she would call an ambulance if she had just knocked her foot. I too have done exactly the same thing as you, 3 times.

Just out of interest, what do you do if you can't afford the taxi? (not having a go, just courious)