Sofa companies - best of the worst?

I'm needing a new sofa but after a disastrous experience with a homebase / argos one, I want to be able to 'try before I buy', which so far has meant a trawl around the usual places.

The salesperson at CSL were really good, but the sofa I initially wanted comes out at being a bit too big for my living room (darn the hubby for setting his heart on a corner sofa!). They apparently offer a lifetime guarantee for their sofas (structure / springs / recline mechanisms etc). I'm considering going back for another look round.

SCS had a perfect sofa, but the salesperson REALLY put me off. Whereas CSL showed us a few they had and left us to it, he stood there the entire time, jabbering on and refusing to give us an actual price, dodging questions by saying 'prices change all the time' (let me guess, sales end Monday?) but kept telling me what he could offer in terms of finance options. I eventually said I wanted to take the measurements home to check before ordering, but even then he was asking me to sign the finance agreement and I could 'ring up when i got home and let him know if the size was ok'. Shame really! They offer a 5 year guarantee which has to be paid for (but a 10 year warranty on sofas which is free, bit confusing!)

DFS were ok, but I've heard negative things about their aftercare, and they didn't really have anything in stock that I was interested in. Same goes for Harveys.

So is one of these places infinitely worse than the others? Or are they all much of a muchness?

The interest free credit is a big draw I have to admit, it would be helpful. But I can manage without it.

Can anyone recommend a local sofa place? I know there are some, but as I'm after a certain type of sofa (leather corner suite) I know many of them won't stock it, just basic sofas and chairs. Seeing before purchase is a must, as the one I bought 'blind' felt like sitting on a brick wall :hihi:

There's a sofa place in hillsborough just before the dog track, not sure what there like though,

CSL guarantees:

5 year LEATHER cover insurance (paid for) covers rips tears and stains

10 year standard guarantee is for frames and springs only.

My frame on my CSL sofa snapped in half after ONE day. I was told not to sit on it until the repair man had been (4/5 weeks)

He just lifted the wood up and braced it back together. I dare say its not exactly solid now.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Leah-lacie, nightmare! That's off putting! Definitely said guarantee covers frames, springs and recliners, but the thought of being without seating all that time is scary!

I know Ponsford is supposed to be good quality, but out of my price range I think :(

Furniture Factors in Doncaster usually has a large range on show and know from experience that their after sales service is very good.

(I have no connection with the firm at all ) :)

If DFS were the last sofa company in the world I'd sooner sit on a wooden box...their aftercare for us was absolutely non existent..we bought a (not particularly cheap) sofa and the cushions had worn through within 12 months...they were threadbare..DFS would do nothing for us..will never use them again...

Barkers is the one on Penistone road just before dog track. Have a look at Ponsfords you can often be lucky and get a great bargain in the sales. I have bought from Barkers and was impressed with the staff, we purchase a guarantee for 5 years for the leather but we never needed to use it.

If DFS were the last sofa company in the world I'd sooner sit on a wooden box...their aftercare for us was absolutely non existent..we bought a (not particularly cheap) sofa and the cushions had worn through within 12 months...they were threadbare..DFS would do nothing for us..will never use them again...

We had settee from there in 1990.Sold it earlier this year and the buyers were thrilled with it.The dining furniture we have of theirs looks like it will see the next century.So for us it's a:) for DFS.

Some of you will have seen the thread last week, it got removed - BanjoDean on the forum has an 18 month old sofa with a broken zip. The broken zip and also his flat cushion foams are somewhere in a grey area not covered by guarantee.

CSL by the way

---------- Post added 05-02-2013 at 22:24 ----------

BanjoDean has the £200 extra leather cover care for coverings too... but doesn't cover his zip!

Have you tried eBay? I've just bought a 6 month old leather corner sofa, originally purchased from Barkers at £1200, for £400. It's gorgeous and looks brand new.

We had settee from there in 1990.Sold it earlier this year and the buyers were thrilled with it.The dining furniture we have of theirs looks like it will see the next century.So for us it's a:) for DFS.

They're OK until something goes wrong...like most other reatailers really...