Ellesmere youth club

hi dors i used to go courting with a girl off botham st they called her linda gill she was a twin she worked at dewires at the bottom of spital hill. can you remember a girl called mavis parnell she lived out that way

Can't say that I remember the names but if they were a bit older than me that's not surprising. Botham St. was a pretty long street and I lived almost at the bottom at number nine. I am still in touch with some old friends that I caught up with on the thread "Anyone Come From Grimesthorpe" here on Sheffield Forum. I was born in 1946. I have a friend who's sister worked at Dewires. I will try and contact her and see if she remembers Linda Gill.

I went there from about 1960 to 1963. Still remember a lot of the names that were there then. Lynne Goodison, Dave Sowter, Dave Simmonite, Johnny Onions, Jeff Lavell, Gerald Cavill who married another friend Pauline Richards, Eric Hooley and heaps more. I loved playing table tennis etc. I'm still in touch with some of them although sadly some of them have passed away.

I went to Ellesmere youth club when you went i can remember Pauline Richards i went out with her she had a mate called Barbra stevens do you remember a girl called rossy lamb what is your name i know Sheila use to work with spike.

hi dors i was born in 1941 so i am a little older then you and i think linda gill was the same age as me.five years difference in those days seemed a lot. when i started work at 15 you would have been only 10.by for now

• Thanks 1

I went to Ellesmere youth club when you went i can remember Pauline Richards i went out with her she had a mate called Barbra stevens do you remember a girl called rossy lamb what is your name i know Sheila use to work with spike.

My name is Doreen Turner, I think that you might have already been in touch with my husband, Trevor Powell known as Skippy on the Forum. I knew Barbara Stevenson well, I think that she married a lad called Roger Jones. They still lived in the area and I used to see her until we came to Oz in 1970. Still in touch with my friend Lynne Goodison - she used to go to the youth club too. Don't remember a girl called Rossy Lamb though.

---------- Post added 17-02-2013 at 10:04 ----------

hi dors i was born in 1941 so i am a little older then you and i think linda gill was the same age as me.five years difference in those days seemed a lot. when i started work at 15 you would have been only 10.by for now

True. Five years seemed like an awful lot when we were young.

Edited by Dors
Didn't answer question regarding Rossy Lamb

Hi, I remember Rodney. My father and his father,Bunny Baxter, were big pals. Drinking mates. Think they lived opposite the wembley playground, sutherland road. Good times those. Wish they were back. Do you know me? I lived on sutherland road.

I too remember Rodney Baxter for the wrong reasons . I used to work at Moorwood-Vulcan when he did. There was an incident where a mate of mine refused to fetch his dog meat(he bread Collie dogs). and without warning, Baxter gave him a back-hander right across his face.........nearly broke his jaw.

I too remember Rodney Baxter for the wrong reasons . I used to work at Moorwood-Vulcan when he did. There was an incident where a mate of mine refused to fetch his dog meat(he bread Collie dogs). and without warning, Baxter gave him a back-hander right across his face.........nearly broke his jaw.

Rodney Baxter, when he was younger about 11, used to bully all the boys who lived around there. One of them was my younger brother Geoff. I was always a little wary of Roney, but one day I could stand it no longer, and I had a go back at him. The fight brought all the neighbours out, including his mother and mine. Luckily I was getting the beter of him, and my mother was going to stop the fight, but his mother said "leave em alone, It'll do him good"

I gave him a right pastingthat day.

He bullied very few after that, and never when I was around! Taught me a good lesson too that day. Stand up to people. Especially if you are right.

Dors,only twins i remember on botham st was the red haired ones that lived near the top but same side as you,but don't think their name was Gill though.Will try and find out.Been looking for Pauline for ages she was a school mate with me and Mags.Gerald Cavell was my Mothers sister's husbands nephew Phew have you got that.He lived on Carwood Rd think when they got married they went to Canada.

Dors,only twins i remember on botham st was the red haired ones that lived near the top but same side as you,but don't think their name was Gill though.Will try and find out.Been looking for Pauline for ages she was a school mate with me and Mags.Gerald Cavell was my Mothers sister's husbands nephew Phew have you got that.He lived on Carwood Rd think when they got married they went to Canada.

I can only remember the Price twins, Kathleen and Janet. They had red hair,they live in the yard opposite us but they were a bit younger than me. Come to think of it there were a few red heads around there eh?

I can only remember the Price twins, Kathleen and Janet. They had red hair,they live in the yard opposite us but they were a bit younger than me. Come to think of it there were a few red heads around there eh?

Was about 7 on Botham st Dors,can't recall what colour hair the milkman had.:hihi:

Was about 7 on Botham st Dors,can't recall what colour hair the milkman had.:hihi:

Well it was very unusual.

---------- Post added 19-02-2013 at 11:28 ----------

It could have been Carwood - not sure. Shame you lose contact with Pauline as you were such good mates.

Hl jimmy i've just been talking to my uncle Robert and he remembers you well and he said he hopes you are keeping well.

hi my dad worked at spital hill shop with Jim Goddard who was manager,I worked at the offices in Walker Street, My dads name was Dick Brierley

---------- Post added 19-05-2013 at 12:46 ----------

I lived on Botham St. in Grimesthorpe but after I married we lived at 251 Petre St. in the same yard as the butchers. A lad called Neil Warris also lived in the same yard.

hi I used to work with Mr. Onions he was amusing as he would insist on being called O"Nians bit of a snob thing ! I wondeer if anyone remembered Mr. Coats he was the camp commendant of the general office,!!

On 16/02/2013 at 15:46, piecrust1941 said: