Ellesmere youth club

does anybody remember les pugh he was leader at ellesmere youth club in the fifties early sixties

does anybody remember les pugh he was leader at ellesmere youth club in the fifties early sixties

Certainly do I thought he was a smashing fella.

---------- Post added 05-02-2013 at 17:29 ----------

Oh and Jean Piggot her husband used to be in a jazz band called " Climax"

i remember that jazz band i think jean piggot was a small young lady with black curly hair i think she used to be incharge of the girls. do you remember the friday night dances in the bottom hall and playing football in ellesmere school play ground and a lot of the older members used to go down for a drink at the ellesmere pub for the last half hour. do you remember big dave shaw he was a good table tennis player.

Yes, used to play football in the yard with ,Hodgy and others, don't remember anyone going to the pub though, but I was only 14/15 at the time.

hi do you remember the lady who help in the kitchen her name was mrs kitchen i thought she was called that because she worked in the kitchen she lived on andover st just below where peter stringfellow lived.some people i remember danny fairweather, alic howells,melvyn rawson, alf and eric renshaw,john bowden,arleen owen,val howells.

---------- Post added 07-02-2013 at 16:12 ----------

just a thought about the south family.they lived just up ditchingham st opposite mrs mills corner shop. i remember cherry south and the twins and there sisters. my name is jim everybody called me little jimmy walker i lived at the bottom of clun rd my mother was always out walking the dog she was small too

I am guessing you are a few years older than me from those names. Danny Fairweather I got to know in later years as he used to go in my dads pub, ( The Buckenham ), Bob South is a good friend of mine he is about 4/5 years older than me but we used to out out for a drink together at one time with our wives.:thumbsup:

i am 71 now we used to go on pub crawls round pitsmoor. the gower arms was my local we used too play in the burngreave social league at darts, dominoes,crib. bunny baxter used to be the chairman he went in the ellsmere harry barton was another old person who ran it from the teapot. you must remember the gale family terry was a friend of mine

Yes I remember Bunny and his son Rodney. I used to play darts in the same league, played for the Forest on Rutland Rd, the Furnival and the Buckenham.

I remember Mr.Pugh, there was another man there too, I think his name was Mr.Arbour - not sure that's the right spelling. Had some great times there in the early sixties.

hi dors you are right it was mr arbour we used to play hand ball in the bottom hall i used to love the xmas times there me and my mate johnny bowden sang one xmas we sang meet me on the corner it was recorded by max bygaves a lad called dave shaw also sang one of david whitfields songs he was good

I too went to ellesmere youth club late 50s early 60s. Can remember most names that have been mentioned here, also many that have not, such as Brian Ripon, Keith Pendall, Diane Law, Dave Ward, could go on and on, the list is endless! Interested in the comments posted by PIECRUST. Do you know the names Harold Snape, Trevor Gostello, Andy Kynock, Ray Lavill ( known as Stan, (cos he was good at football) These lads were the same age as my older brother, which would mean they were born 1941 - the same year as yourself? Ring any bells)

harold snape, trevor gostello and ernest twigg were my mates we used to go to the co-op dancing at the frechville and lacarno.stan lavill lived on sutherland rd. my names jim walker what was your brothers name. do you remember any of these girls janet ross, anita guest,margeret adams,elain rawson all from round this area