What happened to my uploaded story?

Following the instructions given, I uploaded my story "Johnson's story" a couple of days ago but I've not been told whether it was received or not. I suppose it's now in hyperspace, looking for a reader? Any idea, anyone?

I don't think you get a message telling you if it was received, but the fact you should get a new window opened with your work on it once you have uploaded your piece, should mean that it's been uploaded successfully. What was the name of the story? You should have at one point included the link to it the first time you uploaded it in a post.

Edited by Akeem B

Hiya Akeem B. What new window with my work on it? I didn't receive it. The name of the story is Johnson's story. I should have done what? What is this "link to it"? And what is this "earlier" in which I should have included it? Thanks for your replies Akeem. Sorry but I don't seem to know the correct procedures, do I? Could you please explain what you mean in a bit more detail. Thanks

---------- Post added 15-02-2013 at 12:34 ----------

OK. Now I read the UPLOAD PAGE again I see that I have to paste a reference number into a post. So here goes with my number

http://sheffieldwriters.ath.cx/SFStoryArchive/1360931110.doc Now I will return to the UPLOAD PAGE and send the story again and see what happens. Such fun!

I would like to have the story reviewed. What should I do to achieve this?

---------- Post added 15-02-2013 at 12:41 ----------

OK I've done that. But after uploading it I noticed that a new number was quoted plus a message telling me that I should have previously pasted this new number into a post. This has got to be some sort of a game, hasn't it? I followed the instructions and still my story will not be read. Either that or the instructions are either wrong or not clearly written and easily misunderstood. What have I done wrongly? Why can't I get my story read and criticised?

Edited by woolyhead

Sorry about the 'earlier' thing! I meant to say the earlier post where you first uploaded the story.

Ok I've just clicked the link and I can read your story.

I don't know what's up with the new number bit but I do agree the whole uploading process could be a bit simpler.

If you want critique straight away it's best to look at a few people's work first and comment, so that people know you're willing to provide feedback as well. Also try to be a member of the forum who at least tries to check what's happening on the site often. Especially if the work you put up is going to be over a FEW hundred words, I suggest it's best to break it up into smaller pieces and upload parts you're really having problems with (you can do this within the same post if you want, you don't have to make a new post every time you upload a piece of the same work)

Now that you've got it right this time it should be easier the next!

Edited by Akeem B

Thanks Akeem. I look forward to loads of severe criticism.

I'd like to point out that although the two short stories that I've uploaded are headed "Entry for The Scam" I didn't in fact enter them. After reading them through another couple of times I'd came to the conclusion that the scam which I'd described wasn't enough of a scam to get the stories accepted by the BBC and after viewing TV for those stories which were accepted I can see that I was right. Hopefully my two stories, "The case of the Amber Nectar" and "Lucifer's story" will stand on their own feet just as stories. I haven't yet received any criticisms, by the way but I do realise that everyone on the forum is a volunteer (presumably unpaid) so I don't expect rapid results. Thanks anyway, Akeem and everyone who's involved.

Woolyhead and Akeem B

I'm sorry you've been having trouble uploading your stories. The good, and bad, news is that things will now become a lot simpler...

Uploaded stories not directly shown as topics in the main forum have been stored on an external server where space had been given to us free of charge. Unfortunately, we've just been informed that the company who owns the server has gone bankrupt and we have lost not just the ability to upload stories to a private site, but also any stories currently stored on it.

Please see the announcement in the stickies area for more details.

Tallyman